Northern Illinois info

New Offense....

Never heard of the "pistol" offense before. Looks like running out of the shotgun all the time.
Seems to be pretty popular per the article in Dekalb.:eek:

Pistol is basically a shortened shotgun w/ the RB behind the QB:

148785901_53974a7d44.jpg

Our new OC ran it in Nevada, I believe.

The pistol is a varied, dangerous and effective offense. Basically, It allows the offense to run traditional running single back or I back running plays out of a shortened shotgun formation. It also lends itself to the various option plays (both straight option plays as well as run/pass options). This is why teams with athletic QBs like Nevada often run the pistol.

It's a dangerous offense. FYI, Indiana moved to the pistol and the Hoosiers had their best offensive production last year since Antwaan Randel El took the snaps. Indiana might be moving into the Gophers under Mason role in the Big Ten pecking--dangerous offensive team with inferior defensive players. This would be a huge step up for them, and would make them dangerous (while still very beatable) on a consistent basis.

Pistol Offense.....

Thanks for pistol update. Very interesting info. Will the Gophers be running some of it this fall?

Thanks in advance.

Nope, at least, I hope not. That would be a big shift from pro style, I expect we'll be playing mostly under center with a few traditional shotguns thrown in. Adding a pistol formation would probably be a bit much, especially when we're expecting a "slimmed down" playbook.

Top Bottom