noodle this plan to save the season

Don't really get this take at all. Yes it would be weird to play the games at a different time of year then we are used to but the comparison to the NFL using replacement players makes no sense to me. You would still have the same athletes involved in the spring that you would have had in the fall so the quality of football should be the same no matter when the games are played.

I'm still holding out hope that we will have the season in the fall but it is just too early to know what the landscape is going to look like at that point across the country.

Yes, the comparison is a bit of a stretch, I know. But tell me... would you really feel like you were were watching a real college football game if it was played in the spring? Not me.

Other snarls to consider would be the necessity of the NFL moving back the draft and deadline to declare, NCAA eligibility rule change with possible graduations and eligibility issues of seniors with a season extending into June, etc. These seem like minor problems fixed with the stroke of a pen. The main problem is the the risk tolerance amongst administrators, coaches, and players. Hopefully this is a relatively moot point by then via suppression and widespread immunity.

I fear if there is a prevailing mood of pointing fingers and blaming for (inevitable) infections and deaths not only will there be no sports season, there will be no schools, universities, commerce. Mass testing can be rolled out relatively soon. We as a society have to move forward and accept risk despite what the lawyers, media, and political activists want.
Massive testing + liability waivers. That's the narrow slice of sunny sky between the raging storm clouds.

To get in the door at X (office, school, store, stadium, etc.) you have to show proof that you've had a negative test no longer than 24 hours ago, and that by walking through the door, you accept all risks associated with contracting cv19 because you were at that location and waive all right to file a civil suit.

These sports are all going to copy each other. It depends who goes first. I think MLB will jump first with their plan to play all the games in Arizona with no fans. If that goes well and gets good ratings, which I think it will, other leagues including college will go down this path. Playing the games as scheduled (or close to it) with no fans makes more financial sense then playing in February with few or possibly no fans then.

Massive testing + liability waivers. That's the narrow slice of sunny sky between the raging storm clouds.

To get in the door at X (office, school, store, stadium, etc.) you have to show proof that you've had a negative test no longer than 24 hours ago, and that by walking through the door, you accept all risks associated with contracting cv19 because you were at that location and waive all right to file a civil suit.

I'm not sure something like that could be feasibly implemented. Like, that's 100,000s of people per state per day that would want testing. Maybe if roundtrip it was an hour, but I just don't see something of that scale becoming feasible with the current issues we are still having with testing.

Plus, I doubt any tests are sensitive enough to catch infection in the first few days, you'd potentially be giving tons of people a false sense of security when there could still be people spreading it.

I could see this maybe happening if the test were for antibodies instead with a longer timeframe. You have certification that you are now immune and won't be spreading the virus, so you are free to go about what ever you'd like

Fauci said in an interview today he can see sports returning this summer with no fans and teams staying in hotels/dedicated lodging and being tested weekly.

Also the Arizona governor said his state is willing to host all 30 Major League teams if the plan moves forward.

I'd expect more and more steps forward on these conversations/ideas in the next weeks.

People who honestly think that America is going to go 12-18 months without sports are absolutely lost and have forgotten where they live.

I'm not sure something like that could be feasibly implemented. Like, that's 100,000s of people per state per day that would want testing. Maybe if roundtrip it was an hour, but I just don't see something of that scale becoming feasible with the current issues we are still having with testing.
Like I said, I'm talking personal, desktop testers, where the school buys one for each player/staff. I think they'll be hundreds of dollars each.

And I was talking Big Ten schools. I don't really care as much what happens outside that. So they can afford it.

Plus, I doubt any tests are sensitive enough to catch infection in the first few days, you'd potentially be giving tons of people a false sense of security when there could still be people spreading it.
Your doubt is noted, but I would rely on whatever the experts opinions on that were.

My understanding is that PCR tests amplify whatever genetic material may be in the sample. So if anything, it would result in more false positives, than false negatives.

I could see this maybe happening if the test were for antibodies instead with a longer timeframe. You have certification that you are now immune and won't be spreading the virus, so you are free to go about what ever you'd like
Sure, those people are then good to go without needing the daily test.

Top Bottom