Non-freshman redshirts?

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
There has been a fair bit of talk about freshman redshirts/ burning redshirts but am wondering about non-freshman who might be getting a redshirt year. The only one below I am confident about is Hawthorne.

My undecuated guess:

- Hawthorne. Didn't redshirt at NC State. Would be a junior next year. Given that Kill has stayed with Wettstein through thick and thin, it is clear to me that they are preserving Hawthorne's year of eligibilty. A good move I think.
- Moulton. Didn't redshirt as a freshman. Given all the WR injuries, not sure why they would do this though.
-Garin. Has he played? Would he get a redshirt? Can't have enough line depth.
-Shabazz- Possilbe injury redshirt? Played at the start of the year but I haven't seen him since he got hurt.

Don't forget the OL - Hayes, Pirsig and Lauer

Could be wrong, but I think Garin has played.

Shabazz was out there against Michigan (had the PI in the EZ) so no way he is eligible for any kind of redshirt. Not sure on Garin. Also not sure what the deal is on Moulton as he wasn't that great last year and has not been in the mix this year at all. Not sure if he is playing special teams at all.

As for Hawthorne....yeah I don't think the coahces are worried about eleigibility with him. He blew the opportunity he was given, maybe he gets it back but right now he does not factor in the plans at K.

As for Hawthorne....yeah I don't think the coahces are worried about eleigibility with him. He blew the opportunity he was given, maybe he gets it back but right now he does not factor in the plans at K.

Hawthorne got hurt last year. Hawthorne last year was at least as good as Wettstein this year.

Were I an internet better, I would be willing to bet a fairly large sum that Hawthoren will be kicking in the opener next year.

Garin redshirted his freshman year, so it wouldn't matter whether he played or not. Moulton wasn't here as a freshman, but he has not used a redshirt as far as I know. Shabazz has definitely been playing recently - I don't care enough to look through the participation reports, but I know for certain that he played against Michigan.

Hawthorne had a kickoff vs. New Hampshire so he isn't eligible for a redshirt. Moulton and Garin have both seen time as well.

Moulton has played special teams a lot if I'm not mistaken.

Moulton has been on ST for about 5 games. Also he was a JUCO recruit and a soph last year so either he was a full qualifier out of HS and transferred after one year of JUCO or he already redshirted while in JUCO like Freuchte

Typically, you're not going to see a lot of guys like Garin or Moulton get a non-FR RS. I realize that Garin has already RS (so hypothetically if he hadn't) and that Moulton has been playing special teams. So I'm answering this hypothetically...

These guys are having a hard time seeing the field right now, it sounds harsh, but why let them burn a scholarship spot for another year when they are both behind younger players on the depth chart?

Victor Keise is taking his 3rd straight redshirt I believe.

This is a pretty good list of players who have not played this year and have not red-shirted.

Mitch Leidner, Jamel Harbinson* (INJ), Nick Rallis, Cedric Dicke, Edward Sardinha, Matt Kloss (SR), Kyle Fodness, Kenny Watkins (JR), John McKelvey, Cavonte Johnson, Duke Anyanwu, JoJuan Harper, Ben Holcomb, Jack Lynn, Yoshoub Timms, Augustine Pupungatoa, Brian Bobek (SO), Tyler Hartmann, Ben Lauer, Jonah Pirsig, Maxx Williams, Jackson Miller.

Keise, Garin, and Moulton have all played.

There you go again Dpodoll ruining a perfectly good string with facts. Do you realize that when the Greeks were at their height of their glory they would spend endless days debating such subjects as how many teeth a cow had? Then the Dpodoll of that time came along and ruined everything by looking inside the cow's mouth and actually counting them. As a result there was nothing to discuss and debate. That was the beginning of the downfall of Greece. Your latest action may also be the beginning of the downfall of the GopherHole! Shame on you Dpodoll!

Top Bottom