Non-Conference Expectations

What record through 10 non-conference games would you be content with?

• 10-0

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • 9-1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8-2

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • 7-3

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • 6-4

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • 5-5

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • 4-6

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 3-7

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Don’t care about record, just wanna see how they play

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters

skyman31

Reaction score
What would the gophers record in non-conference need to be for you to be content with the start of the season?

Personally, 7-3 with wins over the teams we should beat and losses to Mississippi state, Pitt, and South Carolina (assuming the bracket shakes out that way) would leave me at least satisfied that we are at least a competent Big 10 team, albeit with a lot of work to go to contend.

8-2 would be awesome, and make me excited for the season to see if we can spring some upsets.

6-4 isn’t the end of the world if we see growth, but anything worse than that starts to scare me.

I'm guessing 6-4, but would gladly take 7-3.

Hoping we can win all (6) of the home cupcakes, but could easily see us dropping one of them.

I know this isn't a good answer, but my expectations are that I get to watch some new Gophers, new coach, and try to envision what the team will look like with a different roster in 2-3 years.

I think the most likely scenario is 6-4 but I would be happy with 7-3.

Personally, 7-3 with wins over the teams we should beat and losses to Mississippi state, Pitt, and South Carolina (assuming the bracket shakes out that way) would leave me at least satisfied that we are at least a competent Big 10 team, albeit with a lot of work to go to contend.

8-2 would be awesome, and make me excited for the season to see if we can spring some upsets.

6-4 isn’t the end of the world if we see growth, but anything worse than that starts to scare me.
About where I'm at with it, win the six guarantee games, get a split in Ashville. I don't think Mississippi state will go well. Floor is six wins, best case scenario I think is 8-2, could see them beating a pretty bad Pitt team

I will say I really don't care that much. I want them to get better each week. I want the coach to learn and improve. I want a respectable team out there that is desirable to higher end recruits. That may take a while, but it's what I'm looking for this year.

Not sure I honestly could have expected 7-3 out of Pitino’s squad.

I see 6-4. Losses to WKU, @Pitt, @Miss State and 1 clunker to a cupcake.

I think they will go 5-5 in the non-conference. I hope they do better but I don’t think they are very good, they are all new to each other and they lack size which is typically a big advantage against lesser teams from smaller conferences.

About where I'm at with it, win the six guarantee games, get a split in Ashville. I don't think Mississippi state will go well. Floor is six wins, best case scenario I think is 8-2, could see them beating a pretty bad Pitt team
Seeing the Bowling Green result in football and today's women's basketball result against Jacksonville, I urge caution in using the word 'guarantee' at any time.

Seeing the Bowling Green result in football and today's women's basketball result against Jacksonville, I urge caution in using the word 'guarantee' at any time.
The "guarantee" in guarantee game refers to the check the Gophers are writing to the opposing team, not the result.

I agree. I’m jacked to watch this now. And these guys will win a couple they have no business doing so in the B10 - effort goes a long way

Watched the 30 minutes tonight that was on TV. I think Ben has possibilities as a coach. We are short about 5 players to be able to evaluate much. I would expect teams to shutdown Battle. Willis is a nice complimentary player...seems pretty steady but not sure he can be the second best guy night in night out and have that translate to being competitive.
Eric Curry can't be anybody's 3rd best player and be good/competitive in the Big Ten.
I don't think Stephens is supposed to score 18 points.? If he could contribute double figures consistently, then we might surprise some teams once in awhile. I like his shot.
There's nothing after that (based on one nights observation) and we only play 7 guys. Sutherlin, Loewe, Daniels I don't see elevating their games much beyond tonight.

Add Ihnen, Fox, the three new recruits, two more contributors minimum this spring to Battle
and that is a start. I think Ben can get that group competing. Does Willis have another year or is this his covid year?
Not optimistic much happens this year but again I think Ben may have some possibilities going forward. I saw several good things tonight from the sidelines and on the floor. Pretty disciplined effort overall.
Note to myself...it looks like this is probably Stephens last year but he averaged 16 points a game last year and 88% from the free throw line so he can shoot a bit. Be great if he could have a surprise season. Gives us three nice three point shooters if Battle stays hot from 3.

Last edited:

Well this cancellation tonight is a buzzkill… Now I will be unable to be content with the non conference results. Congrats to Ben Johnson and the other two gopherholers who had faith. 😜
6C42F441-453B-4AEC-8701-14E9857EE79A.jpeg

Pretty sure I was drunk when I voted. lol

Is it too late for me to vote? I think I could make a solid prediction (within 2 or 3 wins).

Top Bottom