Non-Big Ten Coaching Changes 2021-22

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Auburn is open.

AUBURN, Ala.—Auburn Director of Athletics Allen Greene announced Thursday a leadership change for the Auburn women's basketball program as Terri Williams-Flournoy will no longer lead the program.

In nine years, Williams-Flournoy compiled a 140-138 record including a 48-96 mark in Southeastern Conference play. Williams-Flournoy led Auburn to NCAA Tournament appearances three times in 2016, 2017 and 2019.

"This year was full of unexpected challenges. Coach Flo, her staff and our student-athletes should be commended for their attitude and effort in the face of disruption and adversity," Greene said. "Our women's basketball program under Coach Flo's leadership consistently represented Auburn with class on and off the court, and we are grateful for her nine years of dedicated service to our student-athletes and the Auburn Family. We wish her the very best in her future endeavors."

"I am grateful for the opportunity to have served Auburn University and the women's basketball program for the past nine seasons," Williams-Flournoy said. "It was a great honor and privilege and an experience I will cherish. I will forever be appreciative of our staff and student-athletes during our tenure and the way each represented Auburn with class and dignity. As a change in leadership was determined, I would like to thank President Gogue and Allen Greene for their trust in my leadership over my time here. Auburn will always hold a special place in my heart."

A national search for her replacement will begin immediately.

Basketball Hall of Famer, Jennifer Rizzotti out a George Washington

GW Athletics announced today that Jennifer Rizzotti will not return as head coach of the women's basketball team.

"I'd like to thank Jen for her relentless drive and commitment to continue the winning tradition of our storied women's basketball program," said Athletics Director Tanya Vogel. "We are particularly proud of her team's efforts this year through their Bigger Than Basketball initiative to bring awareness to multiple social justice and humanitarian efforts. We wish Jen, Sully and their family nothing but the best in their next chapter. I would also like to thank Ganiyat Adeduntan and Kevin DeMille for being extraordinary leaders in our department's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion work."

Rizzotti was hired on April 15, 2016 as the 10th head coach in program history. In five years with GW, she compiled a 72-74 record, including a WNIT and NCAA Tournament appearance in her first two years at the university.

GW Women's Basketball has won 16 Atlantic 10 Regular Season Championships, seven Tournament Titles and participated in 18 NCAA Tournaments, including three trips to the Sweet Sixteen and one appearance in the Elite Eight. 18 former student-athletes, one head coach and the 1996-97 Elite Eight Team are enshrined in GW Athletics Hall of Fame.

A national search for the next GW Women's Basketball Head Coach will commence immediately.

Jody Wynn lasted lasted four years at Washington

SEATTLE – University of Washington Director of Athletics Jennifer Cohen announced today that head women's basketball coach Jody Wynn has been relieved of her duties, effective immediately.

"I want to thank Jody for her contributions to the program the last four years," said Cohen. "These decisions are extremely difficult, but we felt it was in the best interest of our current and future Huskies to make a leadership change and move in a new direction with our women's basketball program. We wish her and her family the best moving forward."

Wynn went 38-75 overall and 11-58 in Pac-12 play in four years at the helm.

A national search to find the next women's basketball coach will begin immediately. The search will be led by Deputy Athletics Director and Senior Woman Administrator, Erin O'Connell.

There is however a connection to Monmouth. It's Carly's alma mater. And she's listed as one of nine potential replacements in an article that I can't link to or determine if it carries any weight.

WEST LONG BRANCH, NJ – Monmouth University Head Women's Basketball Coach Jody Craig has resigned, effective immediately, university officials announced Wednesday.

There is however a connection to Monmouth. It's Carly's alma mater. And she's listed as one of nine potential replacements in an article that I can't link to or determine if it carries any weight.
looks like she recently followed quite a few New jersey coaches/aau teams and Monmouth athletics account on twitter so theres probably some steam there.

Really like Carly on Lindsay’s staff, she seems like a relentless recruiter but she also seems like she would be good head coaching material.

looks like she recently followed quite a few New jersey coaches/aau teams and Monmouth athletics account on twitter so theres probably some steam there.
The article I referenced was in a local paper which started off saying Monmouth needed a coach that could keep the local, Jersey Shore, talent home.

Isn't this D3?

It's D1 and in the MAAC. The conference includes Marist and Quinnipiac; two teams that have made noise on the women's side. And of course there's Iona which Rick Pitino just took to the NCAA men's tournament.

Thanks for your service, Carly. Rebekkah Brunson, please consider a career change.

Thanks for your service, Carly. Rebekkah Brunson, please consider a career change.
We need an experienced person on staff, Brunson was a great player, but we need somebody who can navigate youth basketball when it comes to recruiting, to understand a kids upside... coaching is the fun part, if you dont get players coaches look bad.

Sherri Coale is retiring at Oklahoma

Always liked her when her teams were successful she never struck me as a boasting, narcissistic coach like some programs, Cough Baylor cough cough, UConn...

Here's a 2016 article on how she went from High School coach to Sooners coach. It starts with a high school gym and Geno Auriemma. She finally ran out of steam during the last few years; but there were some memorable seasons in between.

It was a freezing fall day in Norman, Oklahoma, in 1995, and Sherri Coale, the women’s basketball coach for the Norman High School Lady Tigers, found herself inside a stuffy basketball gym, packed with too many bodies for one coach to realistically handle.

One of Coale’s players, a senior named Stacy Hansmeyer, was commanding national attention thanks to her season averages of 17 points and nine rebounds per contest. Coaches from all across the country were coming to Norman to see just what it was the forward had to offer.

One coach in particular walked through the doors of the gym and stuck out like a sore thumb.

The lapels of his suit jacket were turned up to shield his face from the random snowstorm that was pounding Norman, and he was wearing loafers without socks. Geno Auriemma, the head coach for the University of Connecticut Huskies women’s basketball team, was in town to recruit Hansmeyer.

He left with a new name on his mind: Coale.

“I had a chance to watch a full practice, and I came away thinking that it was as close to a college program practice as I had ever seen in high school,” Auriemma said. “This level was certainly not the level you normally see at a high school girl’s program.”

Auriemma settled in and observed, praising Coale as a teacher by drawing a distinction between teaching her players the game and just coaching them.

In that moment, Coale said, a friendship was born.

I've always liked her forthrightness and humor, but wondered why Oklahoma has had so many departures in the last few years.

White was a solid commentator; but never got the hang of coaching.

always thought she was a better W coach than college coach..

hope to see her land somewhere whether that is back in announcing or coaching somewhere.. maybe heads back to Purdue next year to help Katie Gerald's in her 1st year as a HC

The transfer portal triggered a reevaluation of Stephanie White.

A month ago, the decision had been made to retain White. But that was when the Commodores were returning a talented and experienced squad whose 2020-21 season was cut short because COVID-19, opt-outs and injuries depleted the roster.

Circumstances have since changed. Two sources who spoke on condition of anonymity told The Tennessean that Vanderbilt leadership recently decided to reconsider White's future.

Three starters announced this week they are transferring. They included the team’s top scorers, Koi Love and Chelsie Hall, and three-year starting forward Autumn Newby.

That continued a prolonged exodus under White, who had nine former or projected starters transfer in five years.

Ah, that explains the weird timing. I guess there goes the great recruiting class she had coming in this fall.

Penn State Assistant Ginny Boggess takes the Monmouth head coaching job.

Sooner's made a big hire (IMHO) to replace Sherri Coale. Now that she's broken loose from Drake, and not to a Big 10 team, she's free to takeover Iowa in 10 years after Bluder retires.

One time Gopher assistant, Tamisha Augustin (2016-17), is leaving Arizona for Mississippi State.

During her stint in Tucson, Augustin guided Arizona to a 45-13 record and coached them to seven victories against top-10 teams. Working with post players, she played a critical role in the development of two-time All-Pac-12 honoree and Naismith Trophy candidate Cate Reese. Augustin has also proven herself as one of the top recruiters in the country, signing three top-100 players and a pair of top transfers.
[...]
In her first season, Augustin helped Arizona to one of its most successful seasons of all time, as the Wildcats finished the season with a 24-7 record, tied for the second-most wins in program history. The Wildcats won three games over top-10 opponents and beat their first top-five team in program history after beating No. 4 Stanford in overtime. Additionally, Arizona's win in Corvallis over ninth-ranked Oregon State was the first time in school history Arizona beat a top-10 team on the road.

Augustin helped Arizona sign five-star prospect Lauren Ware, a two-time Gatorade Player of the Year and Jordan Brand Classic roster selection in 2020. She also helped bring in transfers Bendu Yeaney and 2020 ACC Sixth Player of the Year Trinity Baptiste, both of whom were starters on this year's national runner-up team.

Prior to Arizona, Augustin spent back-to-back one-year stints at Cincinnati (2017-18) and Minnesota (2016-17). At Cincinnati, she helped the Bearcats win 19 games, the team's most victories since the 2002-03 season. The Bearcats earned their first postseason bid since 2012 with an invite to the WNIT. She coached Iimar'i Thomas to AAC Freshman of the Year honors. Augustin groomed Minnesota's All-Big Ten Second Team honoree Carlie Wagner and All-Big Ten Honorable Mention selection Kenisha Bell during her one year on campus

Sooner's made a big hire (IMHO) to replace Sherri Coale. Now that she's broken loose from Drake, and not to a Big 10 team, she's free to takeover Iowa in 10 years after Bluder retires.

Great hire by OU, they got a great coach.

Now THIS is interesting:

BATON ROUGE - Nikki Fargas is working with LSU to exit her role as LSU women's basketball coach.

Sources told WBRZ Fargas was considering a job outside of coaching. If she were to leave in April, it would be about a year before her contract was scheduled to end.

As of Thursday evening, Fargas "had not resigned," an LSU official who did not want to be identified told WBRZ, though an announcement could come in the next few days.

This season was her tenth with the Tigers. She closes out her time at LSU with a career record of 177-129.

Fargas did not respond to requests for comment from WBRZ.

With incentives, Fargas' salary reaches around $700,000.

A little more on Fargas:

Brought aboard 10 years ago to enhance LSU's reputation as a women's basketball powerhouse, Nikki Fargas was a rising star, an energetic young coach with a strong record and a championship pedigree.

Fargas' tenure at LSU was instead marked by mediocrity, as the Tigers all but disappeared from the national picture, beset by dozens of disappointing losses, shortcomings in recruiting and early player departures.

Fargas stepped down from her position as the head coach of LSU women's basketball this week, according to reports, with plans to pursue a career outside of coaching.
[...]
Brought aboard 10 years ago to enhance LSU's reputation as a women's basketball powerhouse, Nikki Fargas was a rising star, an energetic young coach with a strong record and a championship pedigree.

Fargas' tenure at LSU was instead marked by mediocrity, as the Tigers all but disappeared from the national picture, beset by dozens of disappointing losses, shortcomings in recruiting and early player departures.

Fargas stepped down from her position as the head coach of LSU women's basketball this week, according to reports, with plans to pursue a career outside of coaching.

Attempts to reach Fargas were unsuccessful Thursday. LSU spokesperson Michael Bonnette declined to comment.

Fargas had one year left on a contract that paid her $700,000 per season.

LSU, which made five straight Final Fours from 2004-08, never finished better than fourth in the Southeastern Conference under Fargas, a former star player at Tennessee who had built her own winning program at UCLA.

Fargas came to Baton Rouge after having led the Bruins out of mediocrity. UCLA finished second in the Pac-10 standings and reached the second round of the NCAAs in each of Fargas’ final two seasons there.

She inherited the LSU program from Van Chancellor, who led the Tigers to the 2008 Final Four but missed the NCAA tournament in 2010-11, his last season before he resigned.

Under Fargas, the Tigers reached the Sweet 16 just twice, and they missed the NCAA tournament four times — including this year, when LSU quietly fell in the quarterfinals of the SEC tourney in Greenville, South Carolina, on March 5.

Fargas was 176-128 overall and 81-77 in SEC play in her 10 seasons.

Top Bottom