Nolen

No, I don't have the videotape from the last four years.

And I'll take "STFU" as an admission you've lost the debate.

Now that, Chief, is something I totally agree with you on. And I won't bitch about the bitching in your comment!! :)

Nolen lovers continue to hang on to Puerto Rico. As if Nolen was the reason we won those games. Instead, look at Als' performances. Terrible. We are geting killed at the pg position in almost every game. With no offensive threat from the point, Hoff has no chance of getting open looks. Joseph is not a pg, but he is a better pg than Nolen. If Nolen is such a great defensive pg, why do opponents pg always score so many points?

a better point of discussion

Why can't Al, Devoe, and Hoff all start? Put Rodney on the bench as a message to be more aggressive and to practice a jump stop and shoot over somebody. We would have outside shooters opening the middle for Trevor.

I would post up Trevor more, for the lone fact people always foul him. Yes he needs to keep improving his free throw shooting. But a little foul trouble on opposing bigs could go a long way.

I would also start Colt for one game, just to send a message to Ralph to continue being more aggressive. How about 3 laps for every fade away he shoots. Colt hasnt deserved it with his play lately, but he has in the past and not gotten it.

Bringing Rodney and Ralph off the bench, if this made them more aggressive, would be a nice tandem. You could even bring them in with Chip and Hollins and play some traps, and keep whoever of the starters is scoring in the game.

Nolen lovers continue to hang on to Puerto Rico. As if Nolen was the reason we won those games. Instead, look at Als' performances. Terrible. We are geting killed at the pg position in almost every game. With no offensive threat from the point, Hoff has no chance of getting open looks. Joseph is not a pg, but he is a better pg than Nolen. If Nolen is such a great defensive pg, why do opponents pg always score so many points?

Why hasnt Tubby recruited a pg in 4 years?

No, I don't have the videotape from the last four years.

And I'll take "STFU" as an admission you've lost the debate.

No, but the fact that your only response is "I don't have the videotape" and to isolate "STFU" as some sort of conversation stopper, tells me you don't have anything of substance to counter my argument--feels like a win to me.

Nolen is like Houdini on the court--so fast that you need to watch him in isolation over and over just to see what he did and how he did it. Videotape is key--MSU, OSU, Wisconsin, and every other team that plays the Gophers have it. If you don't have it, you can't even begin to understand what I'm saying.

Fact is, he needs to shoot the ball more. To paraphrase what my mother use to tell me: Nolen needs to be more selfish... when it comes to the offensive end of the court. He doesn't think "shot first, pass second" he is always looking to set up his teammates, even when they are running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

You're a Nolen hater, so your comments are disqualified based on that fact alone. Next.

He doesn't think "shot first, pass second" he is always looking to set up his teammates, even when they are running around like chickens with their heads cut off.
In fairness to everyone involved, I think our offense is terrible for a player like Nolen. He's a penetrate-and-dish type of guard. Tubby employs a constant high-low action offense, and there really isn't anywhere for the guards to cut, nor Nolen to drive and dish because it's constantly clogged up down low. We're better off running a summer league run-and-gun style instead of the plodding, clogged up offense we've had lately.

Thus, even when people get angry about Nolen or Joseph pounding away with the ball up top, you can't really blame them; there is NOWHERE to go. I agree that we need Nolen to shoot the ball, if anything to keep the defense honest. He's a 31% career 3 pt shooter (55/180), which is not bad. If he's open, he needs to shoot the ball.

Regarding his assists & turnovers lately, I won't judge Nolen until he gets back healthy; ever since his injury he doesn't seem to be fully there. I recognize that his numbers lately are not indicative of his career totals. If Joseph does decide to leave, we're seriously going to need Nolen to step up both his scoring and assists, along with everyone else.

You're a Nolen hater, so your comments are disqualified based on that fact alone. Next.

You're a Nolen lover, so your comments are disqualified based on that fact alone. Next.

((See what I did there?))

In fairness to everyone involved, I think our offense is terrible for a player like Nolen. He's a penetrate-and-dish type of guard. Tubby employs a constant high-low action offense, and there really isn't anywhere for the guards to cut, nor Nolen to drive and dish because it's constantly clogged up down low. We're better off running a summer league run-and-gun style instead of the plodding, clogged up offense we've had lately.

Thus, even when people get angry about Nolen or Joseph pounding away with the ball up top, you can't really blame them; there is NOWHERE to go. I agree that we need Nolen to shoot the ball, if anything to keep the defense honest. He's a 31% career 3 pt shooter (55/180), which is not bad. If he's open, he needs to shoot the ball.

Regarding his assists & turnovers lately, I won't judge Nolen until he gets back healthy; ever since his injury he doesn't seem to be fully there. I recognize that his numbers lately are not indicative of his career totals. If Joseph does decide to leave, we're seriously going to need Nolen to step up both his scoring and assists, along with everyone else.

Hmmm - interesting points. This is something I always wonder about coaching. Some coaches seems to be determined use their system regardless of who plays for them. Others are willing to adjust here and there to fit the personnel. You can't switch philosphies wholesale every year- see our football team- but it would seem you could modify things to fit what you have to put on the floor. It sure hasn't appeared to me that either our offense or our defense is something our perimeter players are comfortable with. Other than Hoff who obviously has the green light - everybody else seems lost on the perimeter.

Top Bottom