NOLEN IS KILLING US

Nolen has been very disappointing through the big 10 season but then again the entire offense has. I don't blame him for the other 4 players on the floor not moving around for the ball til there's 5 seconds left on the clock. Iverson rarely has a clue what to do, Sampson still takes dumb jumpers when he can't shoot a lick, Carter is awful at shooting, Westbrook disappears routinely, Joseph turns the ball over a ton, etc. The whole team is in a funk on offense except when a player drives then kicks out which Nolen is the only player to do so.

Eric Harris played great defense and took good shots. He did not turn the ball over and played with heart especially on the final four run when he had a dislocated shoulder. Nolen could only hope to show the leadership skills Harris demonstrated.

You seem to have missed my point genious. Eric Harris was a Junior that year of the final four run. His sophomore year, if i remember correctly, left much to be desired. He blossomed after that year, which could conceivably happen to Nolen as well. Harris also never took any good shots until his junior year. He NEVER shot the ball hardly at all during his freshman and sophomore years.

Nolen might never reach the status of Harris. But with hard work and dedication, he might get closer by his Junior year and that's all that matters because we will have all the pieces of the puzzle then.

Hey Alltimetwinsfan! No, I never did drink he Cougar Kool-Aid. Nor the Gonzaga Kool-Aid. I've been bleeding the maroon and gold since I was born!

If we are going to discuss favorite point guards, let's take you youngsters back in time....check and see if you recognize the name...Flip Saunders.

Out of curiosity, Don. Were there any moments of frustration with Phil during his early years? Or was he a complete point guard the moment he stepped into the program?

I only use Harris as a benchmark for how one would expect a fundamentally sound point guard to develop through the years.

Agreed, pullman. Harris was much maligned early in his career. Nolen would really benefit from some upper-classman leadership this year. We can carry on about MSU's Lucas, but he has 4 seniors to work with, 3 of whom are red-shirt seniors.

It is the point guards job to get the offense going. Nolen WALKS the ball up court way to often and look at all the times we take a bad shot because the shot clock is running out.

Iverson should never be farther than 3 feet from the basket as he cannnot handle the ball or make good passes at this point in his career. I believe he will be good in the next couple of years but please take the ball out of his hands now.

Ray Williams, Osborne Lockhart and Bobby Nix-all excellent point guards.

It is the point guards job to get the offense going. Nolen WALKS the ball up court way to often and look at all the times we take a bad shot because the shot clock is running out.

Iverson should never be farther than 3 feet from the basket as he cannnot handle the ball or make good passes at this point in his career. I believe he will be good in the next couple of years but please take the ball out of his hands now.

Are you blaming Nolen walking the ball up the court on the shot clock running out? The shot clock runs out because nobody f'ing moves. It's like they wait for Nolen to do it all himself. Iverson and Sampson spend half the time at the 3-point line God knows why and w/o a post presence, it's pretty easy to play d on a team.

Flip Saunders became a great point guard as a Junior and Senior, when he had an inside crew of no-names such as Kevin McHale and Mychal Thompson. That is when a point guard blossoms, when the inside game blossoms. Period.

Flip Saunders became a great point guard as a Junior and Senior, when he had an inside crew of no-names such as Kevin McHale and Mychal Thompson. That is when a point guard blossoms, when the inside game blossoms. Period.

Exactly. So we should expect some major improvement out of Al when we no longer have freshman making up our frontcourt. It seems to me that we really have a difficult time working the ball inside, and when you have that part of the game missing, it is so difficult to get good outside looks.

I think I understand what bothers everybody the most - there hasn't been the amount of improvement throughout the season that everybody expected.

I can agree with that kramer. Every game it's the same story; Excessive turnovers, no post-presence, and crap half-court offense because of no post-presence. Do we even have a post play? Iverson will get it but immediately will pass it back out instead of working his man.

I'm surprised to see so much Nolen defending going on here--he failed at every aspect of the game tonight. I want a point guard that can preform the basic basketball dribble.

It is shocking and more than a bit sad to see his regression. He appears to have lost the will to play. To PLAY. It looks hard, labored for him. I'd sit him for a few games and let him watch.

Hoffarber is the only guy who makes great ball fakes on this team, incidentally. The other guys should learn from his example, it helps throw defenses off and makes them run a lot more than they would otherwise. It's on Devoe for the time being, in terms of a PG.

It's not my intention to add to any of this but as I'm watching the replay of the game on BTN the annoucers haven't been very complimentary of Al as neither were the halftime guys.

Not a good game for Al. His play is hurting us.

Top Bottom