No year zero in Madison: 10-plus wins, Big Ten West title; Fickell embraces expectations

Responding to RM who posted it would be a major accomplishment for Badgers to win the axe. Why wouldn't the opposite be true in that case?

I never said that, actually. If you think I did actually say that, please directly quote the post in which you claim I did.

You're twisting my words, for whatever reason.

If I was looking at it from the Badger fans point of view, then yes; I would see beating Minnesota as a major accomplishment... for the simple reason that Wisconsin has struggled to do so recently.

Huh? Where did I say that?

Minnesota has won two in a row and three of the last five against Wisconsin. I'm very, very proud of the program for that accomplishment. This team has re-established themselves as a true rival with Wisconsin.

That's not remotely the same thing as seeing it as a "major disappointment" if they should happen to lose an upcoming game against the Badgers. I'm glad the maroon and gold are competitive with the 'sconnies', and hope the Gophers beat them any given season. That's all.
Talking 2023 per your post. If it would be a major accomplishment for Badgers to win the axe, goes to reason the opposite if Gophs lose it.

Talking 2023 per your post. If it would be a major accomplishment for Badgers to win the axe, goes to reason the opposite if Gophs lose it.

Nope. Wisconsin has struggled to beat Minnesota recently, not the other way around. Minnesota has beaten them two in a row and three of the last five.
Minnesota has clearly re-established themselves as true rivals to Wisconsin, and perhaps even to show some domination.
The Badgers, on the other hand, have had their work cut out for them when they face Minnesota.

Those are two completely different situations.

Last edited:

Nope. Wisconsin has struggled to beat Minnesota recently, not the other way around. Minnesota has beaten them two in a row and three of the last five. The Badgers have their work cut out for them.

Minnesota, on the other hand, has clearly re-established themselves as true rivals to Wisconsin.

Those are two completely different situations.
Too funny, this is real basic logic here. So if Gophs lose the axe this season to the Badgers, that would not be a major disappointment but would be a major accomplishment for Badgers? Yes or no.

Too funny, this is real basic logic here. So if Gophs lose the axe this season to the Badgers, that would not be a major disappointment but would be a major accomplishment for Badgers? Yes or no.

Two different teams with two different fan bases, each facing a different set of results in recent games in the rivalry.

Gopher fans should be quite happy with recent results against Wisconsin.

Badger fans, I would imagine, are hoping for better than their recent losses to Minnesota.

Those are just the clear, simple facts here. For some reason, you seem to be struggling with this.

Two different teams with two different fan bases, each facing a different set of results in recent games in the rivalry.

Gopher fans should be quite happy with recent results against Wisconsin.

Badger fans, I would imagine, are hoping for better than their recent losses to Minnesota.

Those are just the clear, simple facts here. For some reason, you seem to be struggling with this.
Non-answer pivot. If the Gophs lose the axe game this year to this Badger team, would iyou consider it a major dissappointment? Yes or No?

Non-answer pivot. If the Gophs lose the axe game this year to this Badger team, would iyou consider it a major dissappointment? Yes or No?

Ahhhhh, I see... you're obviously one of those guys who needs life to be reduced down to simplistic yes or no, black or white terms.

Okay, I'll reply to you in your own language: No. I would not consider it to be a "major" disappointment. I'd be disappointed, yes, but not "Barriero-level", major disappointment.

I've already explained my reasoning for my answer several times to you, but that is of no interest, you've apparently ignored it and so I'll leave it there.

By the way, you didn't answer my question with a simple yes or no. I find that interesting.

Last edited:

Everyone is going to have the Badgers winning the West this year. I like Fickell, but the hype is going to be like Scott Frost all over again.

Yes. It will be interesting to watch this unfold. Will the end of the Paul Chryst era end up as Wisconsin's Bo Pelini moment?

To me, it looks as though Wisconsin has reached a true crossroads.

Murray's just pissed that we're not going to run the ball every play, anymore. :)

Murray would argue about how many angels could dance on the top of a needle.
Wissenschaften or hair-splitting as my philosopher teachers would call such useless discussions.
It was not just losing the Ax too many times that caused Chryst to be made redundant but his boneheaded stubbornness.
That is a trait that Murray seems to admire and emulate.
MN needs to do more than win the ax to evolve from mediocrity and winning the West before divisions are gone would be a good start.

I think it's spelled Axe, with an 'e'.

Divisions are dead after 2023 season, so this coming fall would be a good time to start. Much tougher schedule than last two years. But hey, Iowa almost pulled it off with a similar schedule.

Murray would argue about how many angels could dance on the top of a needle.
Wissenschaften or hair-splitting as my philosopher teachers would call such useless discussions.
It was not just losing the Ax too many times that caused Chryst to be made redundant but his boneheaded stubbornness.
That is a trait that Murray seems to admire and emulate.
MN needs to do more than win the ax to evolve from mediocrity and winning the West before divisions are gone would be a good start.

Wow. I seem to have provoked our local Badger fans. They have become so darned sensitive the last few years. Nowadays, a Gopher fan has to walk on eggshells around them... here on a Gopher fan board.

:cool:

So then, major disappointment if Gophs lose the axe in 2023?
Do any circumstances really matter? Any loss to Wisconsin is a major disappointment.

However specifically to the 2023 game, obviously it will depend on how the teams look in the fall but as we sit here right now I would hope we are in a great position to extend the winning streak against the Badgers in 2023.

Badgers roster built for smash mouth running game and 3-4, so system/scheme changes could be a shock in the first year. Obviously portal guys help.

I don't doubt they could reach 10 wins in the regular season.

But I know they don't get more than that. Losses to Ohio State and Minnesota are on the horizon.

Ahhhhh, I see... you're obviously one of those guys who needs life to be reduced down to simplistic yes or no, black or white terms.

Okay, I'll reply to you in your own language: No. I would not consider it to be a "major" disappointment. I'd be disappointed, yes, but not "Barriero-level", major disappointment.

I've already explained my reasoning for my answer several times to you, but that is of no interest, you've apparently ignored it and so I'll leave it there.

By the way, you didn't answer my question with a simple yes or no. I find that interesting.
You are so witty! I'm clearly Not a Badger fan, but you know that, thus the troll response to you asking. Your explanation is these are different teams and they have different fanbases...really...that's your reasoning/explanation? What are the elements that led you to state it would be a major accomplishment if Badgers win the axe this season? New HC and staff, new systems, current personnel...what?

Do any circumstances really matter? Any loss to Wisconsin is a major disappointment.

However specifically to the 2023 game, obviously it will depend on how the teams look in the fall but as we sit here right now I would hope we are in a great position to extend the winning streak against the Badgers in 2023.
Just trying to get a straightforward answer from RM that, if he thinks it would be a major accomplishment if Wisc won the axe this season, would it then be a major disappointment for the Gophs to lose it. Took several posts of the usual RM highfalutin pontifications for an answer.

If they win a West title in his first year, I'll be sooo sad/mad.

Exactly.

If you go by recent history (Minnesota has beaten the Badgers two years running and 3 of the last 5) or by the current status of the two programs (Minnesota has an established, successful program while Wisconsin has an entirely new staff, many new players, and a new system to install), it seems to me that it would be "a major accomplishment" for Wisconsin just to win The Axe in 2023, not to mention get 10+ wins.
bold.

You are so witty! I'm clearly Not a Badger fan, but you know that, thus the troll response to you asking. Your explanation is these are different teams and they have different fanbases...really...that's your reasoning/explanation? What are the elements that led you to state it would be a major accomplishment if Badgers win the axe this season? New HC and staff, new systems, current personnel...what?

Wow.

I'll try once more and then I'm going to have to walk away, because this is becoming ridiculous.

The reason I think it would be quite an accomplishment for Wisconsin to beat Minnesota in 2023 is simply that the Badgers haven't been able to get that job done lately.

I really don't know why you struggle with that fact, and I'm certainly baffled as to why a big Gopher fan such as yourself would become so very upset that I pointed it out.

Wow.

I'll try once more and then I'm going to have to walk away, because this is becoming ridiculous.

The reason I think it would be quite an accomplishment for Wisconsin to beat Minnesota in 2023 is simply that the Badgers haven't been able to get that job done lately.

I really don't know why you struggle with that fact, and I'm certainly baffled as to why a big Gopher fan such as yourself would become so very upset that I pointed it out.
Golly gee, thanks for the schooling...🙄 So you do now at least admit you posted it. Progress. You went through all your wordy gyrations to get to it. Not upset at all, although you seem to be now (see what I did there?) just thoroughly amused. It was a simple question that you decided pivot off into a silly diatribe.

I'd like nothing more than for the Gophs to make it a three game win streak and break the tie, but that wasn't my question, which you know.

We have finished ahead of them the last two years. I guess it’d be a major accomplishment this year if you assume Wisconsin is going to be really good, but not sure why that would be assumed.
I do think they will be good and the gophers have a tough schedule. So yes I believe it would be.

Top Bottom