No Sitting Out for Transfers

If it’s an antitrust violation to violate a players NIL rights by making them sit out a season for transferring inbetween seasons …. how is it not exactly the same antitrust violation using exactly the same logic to make them sit out the 2nd half of a season for transferring inbetween halves of a season???
I get what you are saying, however seasons don't run on halves of a season, it's a whole season as one. Seems odd it would be allowed or the courts would allow it. School to school, calendars don't even match up.

I get what you are saying, however seasons don't run on halves of a season, it's a whole season as one. Seems odd it would be allowed or the courts would allow it. School to school, calendars don't even match up.
Seasons may not, but in basketball there is a pretty clear divide between the semesters?

I don’t see why you can say to the judge “yes, technically it’s the same violation of the law, for the same reasons … but you should rule it isn’t a violation anyway, because that would be better for reasons that have nothing to do with the law being violated.”

I see how ridiculous it sounds, but the way the courts have been ruling nothing would shock me at this point.

This and a number of other proposals are all great on paper.

What law would give the NCAA the authority to implement such rules??

I don’t think the NCAA has a legal basis to exist anymore, as a rule enforcement body. Their main purpose now is to facilitate the post-season tournaments.
No need for the NCAA. And its $20 million budget. Let the host AD organize the tournaments.

They violate antitrust laws, because they violate NIL rights. Or so say judges, apparently.
I believe part of the lawsuit was that the limitations on transferring did much more harm on the athletes than good. And someone that knows more about this can tell me if I'm right or not.

It could be argued that allowing transfers mid-season would cause more harm than good. I'm not sure it would ever get to that. I'm guessing they would come up with some kind of contract that needs to be signed.

I believe there's some kind of scholarship agreement already between the player and school each year but I don't know if it would be considered a binding contract?

Wouldn't enrollment issues from the academic aspect of college prevent someone from playing on two teams in one season? Or am I using too much logic here.

I would think that determining credit transfer eligibility between schools may make mid-season transfers difficult. Although.....by the end of the winter semester.....the season is basically already finished. Could be an interesting development in basketball however.

All I know is that basketball players already transfer at the semester break now. They sit out the 2nd half of the season, but they do it now.

Why won’t one of those guys be like “hey …. why tf am I sitting out and losing all this NIL money??”

Seasons may not, but in basketball there is a pretty clear divide between the semesters?

I don’t see why you can say to the judge “yes, technically it’s the same violation of the law, for the same reasons … but you should rule it isn’t a violation anyway, because that would be better for reasons that have nothing to do with the law being violated.”
20% of colleges are still on the quarter system, including B1G members UCLA and Northwestern. So there is no semester break, as they are split into fall, winter, and spring quarters.

NIL and free transfers are directly coupled, so this is fine here:

Interesting. If I were running a collective, I'd start getting nervous...
Schools and/or conferences should be the primary source of income for the players. Call it “NIL” if you need to in order to make it fit the current framework, fine.

But it absolutely needs to happen that schools/confs rip back control of this thing from the damn collectives.

Sorry, that might seem like a slam on DTA. They’ve done nothing other than work tirelessly to try to keep the Gophers in the “fan/booster run NIL” game. Commendable

I just hate that game.

NIL and free transfers are directly coupled, so this is fine here:

Probably the way it should be. Then donors give to just the school, the school decides where money is best spent, unless the donation has stipulations, and there should be more realistic agreements. I think the collectives will still be there for the big money donors that may have other reasons for not going through the school.

20% of colleges are still on the quarter system, including B1G members UCLA and Northwestern. So there is no semester break, as they are split into fall, winter, and spring quarters.
This sounds like trimesters to me, wouldn't quarters be half of a semester so there would be four of them each year? Matter of semantics maybe

This sounds like trimesters to me, wouldn't quarters be half of a semester so there would be four of them each year? Matter of semantics maybe
Summer Session also counts as a "quarter", at least it did when I was at the U circa 1990, even though most didn't attend.

Last edited:

So now a player can Transfer for Winter Session, take part in Spring Football and Portal again and be eligible for the Opener in the Fall.

Whack.

Maybe it is time for universities to stop awarding schlarships and make the athlete use their NIL money to pay for their expenses.

Maybe it is time for universities to stop awarding schlarships and make the athlete use their NIL money to pay for their expenses.
If they're required to go to school, I think they will continue to offer scholarships in addition to paying them for their NIL.

Summer Session also counts as a "quarter", at least it did when I was at the circa 1990, even though most didn't attend.
Correct. That's how it was when I was in college at MSU-Moorhead. They changed to semesters in fall of 1995. I graduated that spring, and they were really pushing to get people to graduate because credit numbers were all screwy. Had the change not happened, I may have gone back for the fall quarter because I only needed eight credits to get a second degree. But because of the change, I'd have had to stay a full year instead of three months.

I never did summer session. My scholarship didn't cover summer classes, and I came home every summer.

The NCAA is making themselves as relevant as a VCR, Pager or Encyclopedia.
I have a 5G flip-phone that's jim dandy.

As for VCRs, purchased the last ones made that not only played-recorded VHS tapes but also plays-records DVDs...even records VHS tapes to DVD...so it does digital conversion. Saw an article about the last VHS manufacturer phasing them out and grabbed one for our cabin. We have a collection of 400+ VHS movies there and will probably move to adding DVDs now that they are a buck or less at garage sales.

Ironically as our online cable and streaming choices have increased it seems like what was actually good from the past is harder and harder to access. Go figure.

Feel free to move this to another thread, but all this stuff is interrelated and it’s flying as fast as ever:

Feel free to move this to another thread, but all this stuff is interrelated and it’s flying as fast as ever:

Meanwhile the recent explosion and ease of sports betting incentivizes players, staff, officials in all the wrong ways and will increasingly throw the veracity of every competition into question. Hard to put that back into the bottle as well. In many ways we’re in stage one of the five stages of grief. And, I am not (as) entertained TBH. Except by some of you folks.

We are not going back to what it was. Moving forward with the current formula will be the death of college sports, big stadiums and tradition and big tv money. I am a bit surprised the geniuses and planners do not see that at some point, sooner than later, viewership will take a rapid decline thus sealing the coffin. The survivors could be small colleges where the greed cannot take hold and kids who want to compete because of desire to play instead of the desire to have their ass patted and their wallet bulked up.
I say let them transfer 6 times a season, unlimited eligibility and no rules for NIL so the demise can be expedited. I know pro bowling,pro lacrosse, pro pickleball would love some prime time.

Top Bottom