No Rouser during the 1st half?

skoalvikings

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they didn't play it the entire half. Played it before the game, and after the half was over, but never during the half. I guess this is due to a combo of bad band direction and the continued emasculation of Williams arena at the hands of word scrambles and free throw contests.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong on the Rouser issue. We were joking with the two fans ahead of us about concluding the rouser with "Rah" and I'm pretty sure the conversation happened after the game started and during the first half. But I'll admit it doesn't show up in the box score or the play-by-play summary.

If they played any of the other four fight songs then I am ok with that. Save the Rouser for the biggest of moments.

i actually use to think they played the rouser waaaaaay too much. it seems they have pulled back quite a bit on it and i personally think its a good thing. they seem to only use it for big moments now.

Will stick up for the perceived "bad band direction"...He's the best of the best. Personally I don't feel like there were any moments in the first half that REALLY warranted it. Maybe inside two minutes, MAYBE. It's used appropriately I feel like. Plus today's band was a volunteer pep band made up of all marching band members--can't expect to require all pep band members (scattered around the state/country) to come back in the middle of winter break to simply play for the one or two games.

Will stick up for the perceived "bad band direction"...He's the best of the best. Personally I don't feel like there were any moments in the first half that REALLY warranted it. Maybe inside two minutes, MAYBE. It's used appropriately I feel like. Plus today's band was a volunteer pep band made up of all marching band members--can't expect to require all pep band members (scattered around the state/country) to come back in the middle of winter break to simply play for the one or two games.

Should have been played at the first time out. Would have been a perfect time. One thing I really did like was that Ukkelberg sang the anthem acapella and the crowd joined in--I love when that happens. Maybe I am too hard on the band direction, but the lack of atmosphere at Williams compared to the late 90s really bothers me.

Should have been played at the first time out. Would have been a perfect time. One thing I really did like was that Ukkelberg sang the anthem acapella and the crowd joined in--I love when that happens. Maybe I am too hard on the band direction, but the lack of atmosphere at Williams compared to the late 90s really bothers me.

I think the "lack of atmosphere" in the first half should be a comment pointed towards the basketball team. There was nothing for the fans to get excited about until the very end of the first half in which there was an explosion of energy from the crowd. The team didn't provide the quality of game play to create a good atmosphere.

I would much rather start slow and finish fast the way the Gophers did Saturday against OSU, than start fast and finish slow the way Penn State did against Michigan.

Can we please stop comparing the crowd to people's memories, accurate or not, of the late '90's?

The place was packed, loud, and enthusiastic and is still one of the toughest places to play in entire country, regardless of whether it matches what you remember or how it actually used to be.

I guess I'm dating myself, but I can only compare the atmosphere I see on the TV broadcasts to the atmoshere I experienced at Williams in the 70's.

Top Bottom