No Gophers in Townley's Updated Top 3 on 247

skiumah1

Reaction score
I may be the last one to the party here as I know there were already rumors that the Gophers had moved on, but I saw on 247 that the Gophers are no longer WARM to Townley. That doesn't always mean everything, but at this point to even be updating 247 and downgrading us is probably a decent sign we're no longer recruiting him or he's not interested.

All good though, my confidence is high in Avante to sign in the next couple weeks. Solid load of transfers coming in as well. Row baby!

I may be the last one to the party here as I know there were already rumors that the Gophers had moved on, but I saw on 247 that the Gophers are no longer WARM to Townley. That doesn't always mean everything, but at this point to even be updating 247 and downgrading us is probably a decent sign we're no longer recruiting him or he's not interested.

All good though, my confidence is high in Avante to sign in the next couple weeks. Solid load of transfers coming in as well. Row baby!

bunch of new transfers going into the portal from Tennessee....maybe?

I'm curious how many more we can take? Doesn't seem like PJ is too worrried about it haha. Coyle's got his back financially. I wouldn't be surprised to see us pull 1+ from TENN

I'm curious how many more we can take?
At this point, it's probably impossible for the public to know.

There are two key pieces that I don't think have any kind of official announcements:

- will transfers (and only grad? or any?) count against the max 25 new headcounts per year?
- will total max headcounts be allowed to go above 85? and by how much?

I also saw that Luiji Vilain from Michigan is transferring. Top 100 kid in the class of 18? Gophers were recruiting him out of high school. He's D Line though where we already have transfers coming in.

I’ve seen people knock Fleck’s “commit now” tactics, but i think this goes to show that it is not a pressure tactic. He is being honest and will move on, doesn’t matter if you are from MN or not.

It's just a 'first come first serve' thing IIRC ... and if he's honest about that, that's fine.

There's nothing wrong with being clear about having X spots and offering Y guys and the folks who commit first get the spot.

Some folks won't want to hear / like that, but that's life.

I’ve seen people knock Fleck’s “commit now” tactics, but i think this goes to show that it is not a pressure tactic. He is being honest and will move on, doesn’t matter if you are from MN or not.
And in all honesty this is maybe the way things should be. We'll offer, give you time to think, discuss, visit, etc. but if you aren't ready to sign by the first signing date we will allow someone else to sign and take your spot. We aren't moving on from you we are just getting our class in place so we can move to the next step with all these guys.

It can't not be pressure, if a coach says "commit now, or we move on from you and give your slot to someone else".

Rather, I think we just have to be OK with coaches doing that. It is a very cut-throat world at the top.

And in all honesty this is maybe the way things should be. We'll offer, give you time to think, discuss, visit, etc. but if you aren't ready to sign by the first signing date we will allow someone else to sign and take your spot. We aren't moving on from you we are just getting our class in place so we can move to the next step with all these guys.
*cough*Avante Dickerson*COUGH*

Sorry, something stuck in my throat there. :cool:

I'd be wary of anyone from Tennessee at the moment. Who knows who took money. Hate to make room for a kid that won't ever play.

NCAA doesn't really have much of a track record for punishing players who took benefits. The only times they seem to do it is if they caught them and the player somehow gets interviewed and lies.

Beyond that time and again we see schools sanctioned, but not players.

Need to temper transfers......not a good program building tactic. Here and there is one thing but getting transfers to win tomorrow is dangerous. Creating a pipeline and development is better for us.

I'd be wary of anyone from Tennessee at the moment. Who knows who took money. Hate to make room for a kid that won't ever play.
I don't know what the proof looks like, but guessing they only have proof that the coach rigged something up, not that a specific player took XYZ impermissible benefit.

But you could be right.

Need to temper transfers......not a good program building tactic. Here and there is one thing but getting transfers to win tomorrow is dangerous. Creating a pipeline and development is better for us.
I think if they can play at least 2 years I'm ok with transfers. 1 and done, maybe not as much.

does anyone want players from TN if they're potentially be implicated for taking impermissible benefits? Not saying they are, but could be something to consider

I agree in regards to grad transfers and one year guys. But many of the transfers Fleck has brought in have been multi year guys and I have zero issues with loading up on those guys. Take a guy like Shaw, has the potential to help us right away but also has multiple years of eligibility left. Not as many years as a recruit straight out of high school but has had a couple years to prove he can play and develop.

Fleck has done very well with transfers.

On the subject of Townley, seems pretty clear he wants to get out of town. Unfortunate to miss out on him but sometimes guys just want a change of scenery.

Building a pipeline is great. We'd want the Gophers to win consistently. If you need to get a grad transfer to plug a leak immediately, I am fine with that. At least until they are winning consistently and giving younger backups time to develop. If these transfer guys make it to the NFL, it's good PR.

Last edited:

I’m sure Bill Snyder disagrees with you.

as does Ohio state (quarterback)
As does 2019 LSU (quarterback)
2017-2019 Oklahoma (quarterback)

Bad transfers are bad
Good transfers are good.

same as anyone else

Transfers, both multi-year and single-year, have to be an integral part of the equation in the new college football landscape. Any coach not recognizing that is going to be in for a rude awakening.

I think if they can play at least 2 years I'm ok with transfers. 1 and done, maybe not as much.
If all players are going to start receiving their first transfer without any sit-out required, I think P5 to P5 transfers could start to be a much more normal part of recruiting classes.

It can't not be pressure, if a coach says "commit now, or we move on from you and give your slot to someone else".

Rather, I think we just have to be OK with coaches doing that. It is a very cut-throat world at the top.
The point is I don’t think Fleck does this to try to apply pressure to obtain commitments. He doesn’t want to make a lot of late additions to the class through the high school ranks. He would rather wrap things up for the most part.

Seems pretty obvious if we could get quality transfers we should. We had a lot of holes.
We don’t play backups, so they don’t get experience.
Maybe the reason we don’t play backups is because we have decided they aren’t Big Ten quality? Therefore we need to plug in transfers. The 4 and 5 star freshmen who could immediately help have mostly signed or aren’t Gopher targets.

I think we have good depth already at DE: Austin Booker and Easton this class. The 2021 class had Jah Joyner, Gage Keys, AJ Anderson from 2019 and 2020. Our DT depth is insane already.

Seems pretty obvious if we could get quality transfers we should. We had a lot of holes.
We don’t play backups, so they don’t get experience.
Maybe the reason we don’t play backups is because we have decided they aren’t Big Ten quality? Therefore we need to plug in transfers. The 4 and 5 star freshmen who could immediately help have mostly signed or aren’t Gopher targets.

It takes a long time to develop players unless they are impact level talent from the get go. Look at Boye Mafe and maybe former PWO Sam Renner. It took a good three years before we see then making impacts.

PJ Fleck is going to plug holes using transfers.

It takes a long time to develop players unless they are impact level talent from the get go. Look at Boye Mafe and maybe former PWO Sam Renner. It took a good three years before we see then making impacts.

Or just 'get better guys', I'm sure they consider their needs but sometimes it is just 'is this guy better how sure am I that this guy can be better than that' and not necessarily better than the starter, could just be better than the next guy.

Kinda the same thing we're talking about but I think theyr'e not so much shopping with a 'hole list' all the time as 'hey taht guy is better....'.

Hope he adds a safety transfer even if it’s one and done

Hope he adds a safety transfer even if it’s one and done

Agree. Safety play was atrocious last year, and very few prospects in the pipeline. DB talent in general is arguably the biggest concern we have.

Also, could be coincidence, but I notice all of Townley’s schools have HC of Color. I wonder if that will be an increasingly important factor.

Top Bottom