No game chatter?

parkinglotgopher

Gentleman and Scholar
Reaction score
All I know about Utah Valley is:

-It's in Orem, Utah (about 25 miles south of Salt Lake City)
-They're in a piecemeal basketball conference that spans from Utah to Texas to New Jersey
-They beat North Dakota State before losing to Cal State-Bakersfield
-There is only one player on the roster listed at taller than 6'7" (6'9")

Is the game really lacking so much that there isn't a single thread dedicated to discussing it?

It comes down to the Gophers are not playing the "right" Utah. I would imagine if we were playing Utah or Utah State, perennially strong programs in recent years, we'd have quite a bit more talk about the game. Unfortunately, we're playing Utah Valley, perhaps the least formidable of the Utahs (including Southern Utah).

Utah

It comes down to the Gophers are not playing the "right" Utah. I would imagine if we were playing Utah or Utah State, perennially strong programs in recent years, we'd have quite a bit more talk about the game. Unfortunately, we're playing Utah Valley, perhaps the least formidable of the Utahs (including Southern Utah).

For such a miniscule state they have a lot of D1 schools.

yipes

I am going to be pretty ticked off if the ND-msu game goes into overtime!

:mad::mad:

I think Nolen is having a nice game so far. Not many points, but he's beating his guy off the dribble easy as pie. Had a nice dish to big Ralph.

Lots of 3 pointers tonight too. Interesting.

The first half hasn't been good at all. Everybody is jacking up wild shots on offense and on defense, we've given up a lot of lanes to the bucket, especially for their point guard. Need to clean things up a bit down the stretch of the first half.

Oh, and the score is 25-20 Gophers with 2:05 left in the first half. :)

End of first half. Gophers lead 32-24.

To coin the term attributed to the Gophers by SI, it was a "shaky" first half. Of course, the first halves against both Tennessee Tech and Stephen F. Austin weren't things of beauty either and we saw how those turned out. However, the guys were trying to force things way too much in the opening 20 minutes.

Defensively, the guys played okay, not great. Better in the last few minutes for sure. We'll have to see what happens in the second half.

Rodney is so sick. I bet Royce is getting so mad sitting on the sidelines watching his friend take all the headlines away from him. Good for Williams. Unselfish, takes the ball to the rim and seems like a great kid. Very glad he toughed it out and got his grades together because he is a definite stud.

Gophers won 76-51. Wasn't the greatest performance, but it's still a win. The guys had a hard time knocking out a very game Utah Valley State team that hung in there most of the way.

Rodney was stellar yet again, finishing with 17 points to lead the team. Now we get a break before taking on Butler next week in our first tough game of the year.

I don't understand why our rebounding is THIS bad so far. We didn't really lose anyone and it wasn't this bad last year. Our 3 point defense is a little alarming as well. We could definitely use the inside presence of Trevor and Royce down low. I've thought Sampson has been fine so far but he's really not much of a post presence and Iverson just hasn't looked very good.

Devoe looked pretty bad tonight too. He looks for his own shot a little too often and it seems like he decides he's going to shoot it as soon as he gets the ball as opposed to letting shots come to him. I'm sure his teammates aren't too pleased when he takes a shot right away without any ball movement as well, especially when it's not a good look. I think Devoe will be a very good player but he's a little frustrating when his shot isn't on.

DJ and Rodney are so fun to watch. I really hope DJ gets a shot in the NBA. He's a bit undersized but I think he could be a solid player off the bench if he plays within his limits.

Give credit to Utah Valley I guess. I think the best stat of the night was that the Gophers only had about 5 turnovers. Unfortunately, UTV had about 25 and we didn't really capitalize until late in the game. The game was fuguly. Blanking(ugly).

I don't understand why our rebounding is THIS bad so far. We didn't really lose anyone and it wasn't this bad last year. Our 3 point defense is a little alarming as well. We could definitely use the inside presence of Trevor and Royce down low. I've thought Sampson has been fine so far but he's really not much of a post presence and Iverson just hasn't looked very good.

Devoe looked pretty bad tonight too. He looks for his own shot a little too often and it seems like he decides he's going to shoot it as soon as he gets the ball as opposed to letting shots come to him. I'm sure his teammates aren't too pleased when he takes a shot right away without any ball movement as well, especially when it's not a good look. I think Devoe will be a very good player but he's a little frustrating when his shot isn't on.

DJ and Rodney are so fun to watch. I really hope DJ gets a shot in the NBA. He's a bit undersized but I think he could be a solid player off the bench if he plays within his limits.

I agree with just about everything you said. On the rebounding, it seemed like the guys weren't maintaining contact with their player and were looking for leak-outs on the break, which left us somewhat out numbered on the boards. This is where we miss Trevor. He's a big-time glass eater.

Iverson had a tough ball-game last night. He lacked aggressiveness and appeared to be lost on a few possessions on both ends of the court. DJ did what he normally does. Al looked more aggressive going towards the basket. Devoe was trying to force everything and needed to relax a little and just let the game come to him. Our best guy last night was probably Williams. He was active on both ends, played very intelligently and really gave the guys a spark.

I kind of figure that Rodney solidified his status as a starter with last night's performance and overall, it wasn't terrible considering we were missing our best overall offensive player. Having said that, with the 76 Classic coming up we need to improve in several areas.

Top Bottom