No defending anyone associated with the program

EG#9

Reaction score
This was another one of those days where it was embarrassing to be a Gopher fan. The inability to do anything on offense, another heaping helping of penalties, and inept special teams play. We could argue for the rest of the year over the worst aspect of the Gophers today: Weber? the Oline? Fisch? Brewster? the "special forces"?. The sad thing is, everyone would be right.

There has to be a major concern about this team (and thus, Coach Brewster) when for the 2nd year in a row, it has fallen apart as the season has gone on. There is no improvement with this team, only regression. I haven't been a member of the "play Gray" movement, but Weber absolutely had to be benched after that pick 6 he gave up today. It was the EXACT same inexcusable mistake that he made last week? Where are the consequences for poor play on this team? Sometimes a player has to be benched, even if their is not a better option, to send a message about standards and expectations.

The Iowa game should be HUGE for Coach Brewster's ability to get a "last chance" next year. Iowa has not blown anyone out, and has trailed in every game but one this year. If the Gophers become only the second team to play a non-competitive game with Iowa this year, Brewster should be sent packing. I like a lot of things about the guy, but if he can't find a way to at least play a competitive game next week against a team who humiliated him last year, he just can't be given any more time.

Defense gave up two field goals on two short fields, forced four turnovers, and scored our only touchdown. I'll defend them.

Only one to get away from consequences is Weber

there is a distinct double standard on this team. He is the only player that has gotten away with repeating mistakes and having no consequences for his poor play. He is a captain, but when you play as bad as he has you should sit even if the other guy does not appear to be ready. Maybe sitting a week and stewing about it would do him some good to pull his head out.Weber should bench himself, he is hurting the team with his poor play
and should bench himself.

EG ......Have to agree with you. I am very concerned about this team and
it's knack for regression from its players and coaches as the season goes on.

I tell you one thing though - I don't have too much confidence going into the
Iowa game. I have no reason to believe our offense will be able to move the ball
on a very good Iowa defense that is right up there with the Penn St. and Ohio
St. teams that shut us out. We can't run and we can't pass....what's left??

I am pretty confident we will take another 10 plus penalties as that is about the
norm for this team -- a couple will be marginal but most will be stupid
penalties that could have been avoided with good coaching.

My guess is Iowa will be favored by at least 17 and still cover the spread.
Weber will throw at least 3 picks.....and I am calling for yet another pick six
at some point in the game if he plays the entire game.

There, that's how confident I am in the Gophers chances. If Maturi told the team
they needed to be competitive in order to keep Brewster's job, they would
still lose this game by 4 TD's.

I don't think any Gopher fan should complain about the Pizza/Motor City Bowl at this point, either. Funny thing is - I bet Brewster isn't half as pissed off about this
game as I am right now.

Honestly

This team has 0-12 talent. By the grace of God, they have somehow won 6 games. It is a common theme of man that when a large majority of them hold a certain opinion, the opposite is actually true. Common opinion is the Brewster can recruit, so the team is talented and that he is a horrible coach. The exact opposite is true. Brewster's recruiting combined with what he inherited has yielded an ACTIVE roster void of talent. It is a modern miracle that they have won 13 games the past two years. I know that won't cure your need for vindicated bitching, but it is the truth.

....and who was the opponent?

So they should held them
to zero points an scored more? The OP said there is no one to defend, I thought the defense showed up to play today despite missing a few starters.

I don't think this team is void of talent at all. They are capable of playing a very
good game vs. Michigan St. and beating two bowl teams (MSU and Northwestern.)

I have big problems with guys who look WORSE as the season goes on. Any well
coached team should show improvement as the season goes on. When I coached, that was something I always prided myself on and was something I used as a benchmark to judge how I was doing. With all the practice and games, players
should be able to make plays they wouldn't have been able to at the start of
the season and mistakes should be cut down substantially.

In football, your offensive line should be working as a unit
and opening holes and your running backs should be finding the gaps. You shouldn't
be taking "week 1" penalties in week 10. Your QB should have a chemistry built with
his receivers so that he is more effective in week 10 than he is in week 1.

Instead, our guys are getting worse. This is because other teams ARE improving
and if you don't get better - you slide back farther.

I just can't buy the fact that we don't have any talent. We do, it is just a real
lack of knowledge on how to implement a game plan and run basic football
schemes that really has me concerned about this team, especially on offense.

This team has 0-12 talent. By the grace of God, they have somehow won 6 games. It is a common theme of man that when a large majority of them hold a certain opinion, the opposite is actually true. Common opinion is the Brewster can recruit, so the team is talented and that he is a horrible coach. The exact opposite is true. Brewster's recruiting combined with what he inherited has yielded an ACTIVE roster void of talent. It is a modern miracle that they have won 13 games the past two years. I know that won't cure your need for vindicated bitching, but it is the truth.

Absolutely, Balds. Other teams figure out our weaknesses & how to exploit them. We don't have an answer. Case in Point - today, the announcers mentioned SD is not a team that likes to blitz. They mentioned it after sacking/hurring Weber 2 or 3 times. Funny thing is, they kept doing it & we never had an answer. IMO, the coaches need to come up with better schemes. The other part is the O Line needs a kick in teh ass. 'Whiffing' on a block should not happen as much as is does and if it does, you need to tackle your man before he kills Adam.

So they should held them
to zero points an scored more? The OP said there is no one to defend, I thought the defense showed up to play today despite missing a few starters.

You are right, they did play well, some poor tackling notwithstanding. It is just embarassing that we are eeking out a win against a team of SD's caliber, and FRUSTRATING that we are who I didn't think we are! :eek:

I think Balds is right. Brew is a lousy recruiter but a tremendous x's and o's kinda guy. He makes wonderful adjustments, he always has his guys fired up and ready to play and he has all the right guys in the games. Maybe we need to hire a recruiter as our coach and make Brew the offensive and defensive coordinators. Oh, also put him in charge of wasting time outs, too.

I long for Gutey. At least he had 12 men out there for most of the plays.

Top Bottom