No Debbie Downers thread

SeaBee_Gopher

Reaction score
I just don't get why many of you follow the Gophers when you seem so constantly upset with them. I'll never get it, but to each their own. They are just entertainment for me and no result will change my life.

In any case, here's what I liked about yesterday:

College football is back and Colorado (almost) lost!

The new Big Ten will provide a lot of fun games to watch this year from morning to night on Saturdays!

Mack Brown was classy at the end of the game. Told PJ both teams should have won. Two mid-tier power 5 teams went down to the last play.

Max Brosmer looks like he has potential to me. I think a lot of this was first game jitters playing at a higher level and he has a good chance to be better moving forward. He got better as the game went on. He looks like a better thrower than AK. It looks like he might have a little gamer to him coming up big at the end of the game. Too bad PJ didn't let him go for the win on third down late in the game with a 10-15 yard throw for a better field goal try.

The defense looked pretty good and the receivers hands looked pretty sticky except for that drop in the end zone. I get it that they don't seem to get much separation.

Too bad for Max Johnson. NC's backup did not look that good. I'd be concerned about the rest of the season if I were them. It would have been intriguing to see how well NC did this year, but I don't like the look of their current QB.

Two preseason games and then Iowa will be a true measuring stick on Sept 21st!

Disappointing to me: the 3rd down call at the end, receivers except Daniel Jackson, Max Brosmer's start.

TY

Poor sports. Lotta folks in here cant take a loss without turning into a toddler. I usually don't even post after losses because those folks are too emotional and ... many just vanish after wins.

Defense looked very good.

Mack said nice things, but both teams earned a loss as much a win ;)

Brosmer looked better on shorter yardage quick passes rather than long developing passes, I'm hopeful there. I'm a little miffed we didn't do more of that earlier, it was kinda clear. Granted plays were there to be made even with the other play calls, Brosmer just didn't make them.

OL looked confused and a mess on pass protection. Multiple times you had Gophers just not block anyone and some guy came up the middle...

OL looked better when attacking.

In the first we had a running play where we shifted to the left, blocked everyone and the RB went to the right, was that the runner being silly?

Offense and special teams left like 13 points on the field... but we saw plays where Brosmer was effective, hopefully we see more of those to setup ... longer plays.

Defense looks like it could sustain us for a while.

Last edited:

I just don't get why many of you follow the Gophers when you seem so constantly upset with them. I'll never get it, but to each their own. They are just entertainment for me and no result will change my life.

In any case, here's what I liked about yesterday:

College football is back and Colorado (almost) lost!

The new Big Ten will provide a lot of fun games to watch this year from morning to night on Saturdays!

Mack Brown was classy at the end of the game. Told PJ both teams should have won. Two mid-tier power 5 teams went down to the last play.

Max Brosmer looks like he has potential to me. I think a lot of this was first game jitters playing at a higher level and he has a good chance to be better moving forward. He got better as the game went on. He looks like a better thrower than AK. It looks like he might have a little gamer to him coming up big at the end of the game. Too bad PJ didn't let him go for the win on third down late in the game with a 10-15 yard throw for a better field goal try.

The defense looked pretty good and the receivers hands looked pretty sticky except for that drop in the end zone. I get it that they don't seem to get much separation.

Too bad for Max Johnson. NC's backup did not look that good. I'd be concerned about the rest of the season if I were them. It would have been intriguing to see how well NC did this year, but I don't like the look of their current QB.

Two preseason games and then Iowa will be a true measuring stick on Sept 21st!

Disappointing to me: the 3rd down call at the end, receivers except Daniel Jackson, Max Brosmer's start.

Thanks SeaBee...I want to be bright and cheery...but 8 meaningless years has had an adverse effect on some of us. With all sincerity, I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

GoGophers!

Max looked solid on the last drive when he could just go out and throw without the confines of the playbook. I hope we see that more often.

Major was a nice pickup, hope we can see he and Taylor as a 1-2 punch.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks SeaBee...I want to be bright and cheery...but 8 meaningless years has had an adverse effect on some of us. With all sincerity, I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

GoGophers!
8 meaningless years? Try my entire life of Gopher football (over 50). And I don't mean that as Debbie downer. It's football....try to enjoy it!

Brosmer throws to open windows instead of throwing at the receiver. That's an upgrade. I'm not sure if it was the slippery field conditions that took some adjusting to or just getting used to player timing, but I'm hoping that gets tightened up. Regardless, he completed 62% of passes and put the team in position to win at the end.

Major is a pleasant surprise.

O line looked similar, big and good in the run game but sometimes too slow in pass protection. Let's hope they get that ironed out over the next couple weeks.

The defense looks good, though tackling needs to get better. Some of the tackling issues were simply going against a top notch running back on a slippery field. It looks like Hetherman plays a more aggressive style than Rossi. I'm looking forward to watching that play out.

I have faith in the players. They're the ice cream in a sundae.

I have faith in the coaches. They're like the chocolate syrup on top.

We rushed for 2.4 yards per carry. That's a significant difference than Taylor toting it for 6 yards per carry -- and that, right there, is the single largest dynamic of the game. This team is dependent on Taylor, period.

Brosmer was definitely uncomfortable out there. That said, when uncomfortable or uncertain, he didn't do dumb things with the ball. He either ate it or threw it away. Good brain.

I also thought Brosmer looked more accurate than not when he was certain about where to go with the ball and what he was facing. He sailed some when he had excitement running through him, but I think he'll be all right.

Need Taylor back badly. Major struck me as "just ok." There may be certain aspects of his game that he really excels at, but I don't think he's a remarkable talent when it comes to bread-and-butter components of the offense, e.g., inside zone rushing.

78 yards rushing. 166 through the air. The passing attack led the way, but we're going nowhere with 78 yards on the ground. Taylor would have more than doubled that mark. And that's the game.

GoGophers!
8? Did you not follow the team the fifty years before Fleck?

First games are weird, especially when you go against a quality opponent and not some creampuff.

Bad conditions, no DT, Kesich having a rare off day....lots of factors went into the loss but some of the over the top negativity in the forum after losses is so tough to stomach.

People act like we got blown out by a bad team and want to fire everyone yet those same people can't grasp that the reason they are so pissed off is because the current coach has raised expectations to a point where losing a game like the one last night is disappointing.

Week 1 to week 2 is always the biggest week for change in college football. With no preseason coaches/teams learn a lot about themselves in week 1 and they adjust from there.

Last night was frustrating but in spite of not playing a great game we were in position to win it on the final play. Will be interesting to see where the team goes from here.

And to the OP's first line.....couldn't agree more.....I get that fans get passionate about sports but some get so negative about it you wonder why they even waste their time with it at all. If sports made me that negative I would find something better to do with my time. Hell that is why I don't get wrapped up in politics because it just makes me pissed off at the world :)

If you can't understand that sports fans are emotional then I don't know what to tell you OP. You wan't passion in the fanbase?

The only thing that annoys me more than sports fans who ONLY see the negative, are ones who act like if you ain't pollyanna then you're not a fan.

There's a reason why Paul Allen lost a huge market share to Purple Daily - and it's because fake positivity is also toxic. And yea, it's a Vikings comparison, but that's only because this fanbase is too small/irrelevant to have two prominent podcasts/shows to directly compare.

If you can't understand that sports fans are emotional then I don't know what to tell you OP. You wan't passion in the fanbase?

The only thing that annoys me more than sports fans who ONLY see the negative, are ones who act like if you ain't pollyanna then you're not a fan.

There's a reason why Paul Allen lost a huge market share to Purple Daily - and it's because fake positivity is also toxic. And yea, it's a Vikings comparison, but that's only because this fanbase is too small/irrelevant to have two prominent podcasts/shows to directly compare.
What the heck was that?

Frustration after losses is totally understandable. Most are capable of being reasonable when assessing what went on in a game, unfortunately they just don't tend to be the loudest voices in the room. And of course those voices only pipe up when there is something to complain about.

Defense looked very good.
Aside from Wally's splash play I didn't see a helluva lot defensively - but am I underestimating the vaunted UNC offense post Drake May?
We've got a few games to tighten up, and then when BIG play starts I'll have more data to make an assessment on the D.
What the heck was that?
A post? Not trying to be snarky, but offer me a clear question and I'll do my best to elaborate G.

At least the defense didn’t look completely lost like they did last year despite a new DC.

Frustration after losses is totally understandable. Most are capable of being reasonable when assessing what went on in a game, unfortunately they just don't tend to be the loudest voices in the room. And of course those voices only pipe up when there is something to complain about.
Totally legit. But anyone that enjoys sports knows how this works by now. It's like complaining about death and taxes.

Fans wallow after losses, some more than others.

We rushed for 2.4 yards per carry. That's a significant difference than Taylor toting it for 6 yards per carry -- and that, right there, is the single largest dynamic of the game. This team is dependent on Taylor, period.

Brosmer was definitely uncomfortable out there. That said, when uncomfortable or uncertain, he didn't do dumb things with the ball. He either ate it or threw it away. Good brain.

I also thought Brosmer looked more accurate than not when he was certain about where to go with the ball and what he was facing. He sailed some when he had excitement running through him, but I think he'll be all right.

Need Taylor back badly. Major struck me as "just ok." There may be certain aspects of his game that he really excels at, but I don't think he's a remarkable talent when it comes to bread-and-butter components of the offense, e.g., inside zone rushing.

78 yards rushing. 166 through the air. The passing attack led the way, but we're going nowhere with 78 yards on the ground. Taylor would have more than doubled that mark. And that's the game.

Major had a decent YPC until late in the game. Ended up at 3.7 but would have been more except for the dumbass holding penalty late on a nice run and his setting up for the FG. The UNC defensive front 7 played well yesterday. I don't think Taylor would have done much more running into 9-man boxes.

Major had a decent YPC until late in the game. Ended up at 3.7 but would have been more except for the dumbass holding penalty late on a nice run and his setting up for the FG. The UNC defensive front 7 played well yesterday. I don't think Taylor would have done much more running into 9-man boxes.
I pretty much agree with you but too bad we didn't get to literally "run" the experiment. Onward...

8? Did you not follow the team the fifty years before Fleck?

Yes, but I'm not looking back...we're not going back there...(see what I did?)

My first game was 1975 because because I want to see Stan Systma from my Hutch High School play. I always loved the Gophers before but that is when I started paying attention.

16 missed tackles from the linebackers and safeties.
But only gave up 1 TD and 19 points while essentially creating a TD for the offense. And 3 that was given up wasn't their fault at all (Brosmer fumble).

The results were still pretty good even with that many missed tackles.

My negativity doesn't have so much to do with the loss.............it's that it feels like we are watching rerun after rerun after rerun.

It's the same problems all the time. Special teams, weird coaching decisions, and a prehistoric passing game.

I'm going to bitch about that because I'm tired of it. None of it ever gets fixed.

How about the 2 holding calls on our secondary when we sacked the qb

Top Bottom