No deal yet with 'Row the Boat' but Minnesota boosters love P.J. Fleck

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per MLive.com:

For all the ruminations surrounding the popular Western Michigan football mantra "Row the Boat," one thing appears certain: The Minnesota Golden Gophers fan base has embraced the phrase and the coach who founded it, with open arms.

Formerly a sweet line that sprang from the tongues of Broncos young and old, "Row the Boat" has soured the taste buds of many in West Michigan but its sweetness has found new life in Minneapolis faithful along with P.J. Fleck.

That excitement was on display during the program's National Signing Day Social last week when Fleck touted his popular phrase along with the longtime college mantra "Ski-U-Mah."

Minnesota football booster president Bob Hughes said Fleck's impact on the crowd of more than 1,000 was impressive.

"The room was filled with people that were very, very anxious to meet coach Fleck and get a read on the recruits he has signed, sealed and delivered," Hughes said.

Hughes has been a leader in the Goal Line Club since the late 1990s and said the fan base has welcomed Fleck's enthusiasm.

"There's a lot to be said about energy and there's a lot to be said about having that coach being the face of the program," Hughes said. "Putting him on the billboards as you drive down 94 or 494 or 694 and that's what the marketing folks are doing, they're making him the face of the program. So we're excited."

Western Michigan athletic director Kathy Beauregard said the college's general council is involved in the process but the timing has been challenging.

"Conversations have still been ongoing between the two universities," Beauregard said. "I just think the whole timing of recruiting and what's been going on from a football side of things and from our side of things (have slowed it down).

"We've certainly talked to coach Fleck's agent regarding that and had some break there that we're still going to have to get back together and get an update on that."

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2017/02/no_deal_yet_with_row_the_boat.html

Go Gophers!!

Well I mean they should because I'm not sure the boosters were paying for more ....

Stick with SKI U MAH and just talk about paddling the canoe along the Mississippi......

Top Bottom