No crowd energy at Williams Arena. It's a PROBLEM!

I think it's a combination of multiple factors.
1. Style of play. Fans would prefer to see the team get up and down the court, not walk it up and pass it around the perimeter in a half-court offense. If you want the fans to get into it, run some full-court press, fast break, and get Rodney a few dunks.

2. (Relatively) recent lack of success. To build up some 'buzz,' the team needs to win some games against quality opponents. This goes hand-in-hand with

3. strength of schedule. The non-conference schedule is a yawner. It's hard to get excited about watching the Gophs play Directional State and Whatsamatta You.

4. Public perception of the program. The TC media (Reusse, Souhan, Powers, etc), when they do talk about Gopher Basketball, generally rip it to shreds. If you listen to local sports radio, or read the papers, you come away with the message that "The Gophers Stink and it's not worth going to the games."

Blaming the problem on "old" fans doesn't account for all the other factors that have taken away from the Barn's atmosphere.

Ha....Im sorry but blaming the Marketing/athletic dept. is one of the lamest things ive seen on here. Whats being talked about is the energy at the game. When the people are already at the game, what is the Marketing/Athletic dept. going to do??

When the games are close it is so quiet in the barn, even when it is packed. Marketing/Athletic dept. cannot make the people stand up and actually make a little noise. Maybe the Athletic dept. can pipe tons of music/noise in the barn like the Metrodome used to do for the Vikings?(being sarcastic).

Old people's fault :)

My point was that there are many reasons more pressing than the "old" people in the stands. The fans who show-up aren't the problem. One problem is that we don't get enough fans. Many more to discuss. We are obviously not on the same starting point for the atmosphere. I'm looking at it before the game actually starts and you are looking at it after the tip-off.

My point was that there are many reasons more pressing than the "old" people in the stands. The fans who show-up aren't the problem. One problem is that we don't get enough fans. Many more to discuss. We are obviously not on the same starting point for the atmosphere. I'm looking at it before the game actually starts and you are looking at it after the tip-off.

Have you ever sat in the section behind the gophers bench? Some of the older people there are the crabiest human beings I've ever been around before. They even turn on the team when they have a bad stretch of play and hoot and holler down at tubby. I'm not targeting older folks, but often times they are PART of the problem.

What is the magic age of "old?" I just turned 46 - trying to figure out when I should stop renewing my tickets . . .

You're not old at all! I was talking more like 60+ yrs old. And I'm finally ready to face the music, but I'm 15 yrs old. I like to think I have good intellect (sometimes). Hey I'm all for old people going to the games, but support the team then for goodness sakes and the last thing I want to see them doing is turning on the team when the have a poor performance. They are just college kids and of course they are trying their hardest. Decision making at their age isn't sharp at 18-22 yrs old.

Have you ever sat in the section behind the gophers bench? Some of the older people there are the crabiest human beings I've ever been around before. They even turn on the team when they have a bad stretch of play and hoot and holler down at tubby. I'm not targeting older folks, but often times they are PART of the problem.

A good majority of those old and "crabby" people you're referring to are often pumping serious dough in the program. They have the right, just like any other fan, to cheer when they want to cheer. The old people aren't the problem; every B1G stadium has old people in the crowd. The difference is that other team's student section makes up for the lack of cheering from the old folks. For whatever reason the U's student section isn't currently doing that.

A good majority of those old and "crabby" people you're referring to are often pumping serious dough in the program. They have the right, just like any other fan, to cheer when they want to cheer. The old people aren't the problem; every B1G stadium has old people in the crowd. The difference is that other team's student section makes up for the lack of cheering from the old folks. For whatever reason the U's student section isn't currently doing that.
I agree with many of your points, but don't be a season ticket holder if you won't support the program the majority of the time. Also, I think the expansion of the student section should generate more noise.

What is the magic age of "old?" I just turned 46 - trying to figure out when I should stop renewing my tickets . . .

"A man's only as old as the woman he feels." ~ G. Marx

I have sat in that section of old crabbies and you are right; they are a tough bunch! But before you come down on them too hard, understand that acrimony is an age-related hormonal dysfunction and is not their fault. You see, as the limbic system ages, the genial glands wither and crabbotic secretions known as caustic acid are produced in abundance resulting in the churlish behaviors you observed. Why even Tubby is not as effervescent as he once was.
On the bright side, these crabbies are, at least, making noise. I have been seeing an increasing number of younger attendees with their noses glued to smart phones during the games and they sure are quiet! Don't you ever do that.:cool:
Ski-u-mah.

I have sat in that section of old crabbies and you are right; they are a tough bunch! But before you come down on them too hard, understand that acrimony is an age-related hormonal dysfunction and is not their fault. You see, as the limbic system ages, the genial glands wither and crabbotic secretions known as caustic acid are produced in abundance resulting in the churlish behaviors you observed. Why even Tubby is not as effervescent as he once was.
On the bright side, these crabbies are, at least, making noise. I have been seeing an increasing number of younger attendees with their noses glued to smart phones during the games and they sure are quiet! Don't you ever do that.:cool:
Ski-u-mah.

Haha! Thank you. Somebody who understands that section behind the gophers bench!! They just have to be a bit more positive and supportive... and oh no, when I go to the games I don't even bring my phone. I'm to big of a sports fanatic to be paying attetion to anything besides the game/atmosphere.

You must be the only "young" fan in the country that has done this. Seriously people, put the phones down.

I'm one of the minority of young'uns that has never developed an attachment to his/her cell phone, I've had the same flip phone for nearly 4 years and I rarely bring it with me. When I'm at Gopher games, the game gets my full attention.

I'm one of the minority of young'uns that has never developed an attachment to his/her cell phone, I've had the same flip phone for nearly 4 years and I rarely bring it with me. When I'm at Gopher games, the game gets my full attention.

Keep it with you. Turn off during a game.

Cayman, good to hear! How old are you? I'm 15 and I go to Lakeville North HS. Nothing gets me more angry than someone with court side seats/ tix behind home plate and they're glued to there phone. Besides, why would you want to miss the game?

Cayman, good to hear! How old are you? I'm 15 and I go to Lakeville North HS. Nothing gets me more angry than someone with court side seats/ tix behind home plate and they're glued to there phone. Besides, why would you want to miss the game?

I'm 19, going into my sophomore year at the U. Hoping to be in the band for men's basketball this next season, should be a lot of fun!

I'm 19, going into my sophomore year at the U. Hoping to be in the band for men's basketball this next season, should be a lot of fun!

Best of luck in making the band. Keep it loud in Williams if that's possible...

We should be playing Marquette, Iowa State, No. Iowa, Creighton, and Drake before we start worrying about he old NCC schools.

In fairness to the first two, they may not want to play us.

I sure enjoyed the Marquette games years ago, though.

We should be playing Marquette, Iowa State, No. Iowa, Creighton, and Drake before we start worrying about he old NCC schools.

In fairness to the first two, they may not want to play us.

I sure enjoyed the Marquette games years ago, though.

Same here.

The student section has rarely been full the last few years, so I am not sure what expanding it does, other than possibly creating more empty seats. If we have the type of season that we should have, then every student seat will likely be full and then some, but the last 10-12 years or so, there have only been a handful of games where expanding the student section was warranted.

Go Gophers!!

What does that mean to you in terms of wins, NCAA wins, etc?

What does that mean to you in terms of wins, NCAA wins, etc?

I enter every season hoping for 12 Big Ten wins and a Sweet 16 appearance...needless to say, it's been 15 straight years of disappointment for me! Hopefully this season is different (I'm starting to sound like a Cubs fan).

Go Gophers!!

I enter every season hoping for 12 Big Ten wins and a Sweet 16 appearance...needless to say, it's been 15 straight years of disappointment for me! Hopefully this season is different (I'm starting to sound like a Cubs fan).

Go Gophers!!

OK, now I understand what you hope for. I think we would agre each team has different potential. Some years 12 conf wins would be really pushing it, other years not at all. This would be one of the "not" years, at least for me.

So, 2012-13 version - define minimum conf wins and minimum ncaa wins as a minimum expectation, based on the team as it stands today.

OK, now I understand what you hope for. I think we would agre each team has different potential. Some years 12 conf wins would be really pushing it, other years not at all. This would be one of the "not" years, at least for me.

So, 2012-13 version - define minimum conf wins and minimum ncaa wins as a minimum expectation, based on the team as it stands today.

I think this years team is the first time in a while where my "hope" equals my "expect." If we do hit the 12 BT win total for only the third time in the last 30+ years and make it to the Sweet 16 for only the 4th time in the same period, it will go down as one of the top 4-5 Gopher seasons in the last 50+ years, which is sad!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom