No call on Mertz on Wisconsin's TD

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
Sure it was discussed during the game thread but why wasn't Mertz flagged for his blindside block on Rush during the Reverse that Wisconsin scored on?

Sure it was discussed during the game thread but why wasn't Mertz flagged for his blindside block on Rush during the Reverse that Wisconsin scored on?
Because he led with open hands

There also was a block in the back and/or an obvious hold on it for the RB to make the corner.

It looked like a hold more than anything live but haven’t really seen a replay to see if my eyes deceived me or not.
It was definitely closer to a hold than a blindside block. Blindside blocks aren’t illegal if you are open handed lead with the hands.

Because he committed no penalty.
Please, that was holding in a junior high football game. You don't get to grab someone from behind, this isn't a legal play in any level of football.

I think the TV angle might have made it look worse than it was.

On first viewing, I thought it was a block in the back, but on later viewings, it wasn't as clear-cut.

and considering how the officials were calling - or not calling - holding, it's not surprising they let that one go, too.

It's right around the 5 minute mark.

Maybe a little hold but probably not flag worthy, especially considering what their OL was getting away with.

Top Bottom