NIU Data

doncorleone

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to look up some data on NIU and thought I would share it. Pulled from ESPN site:

2010 OVERALL FBS RANKINGS FOR NIU

PASSING YARDS
181.2 (89th Overall)
RUSHING YARDS
264.8 (7th Overall)
POINTS FOR
37.8 (13th Overall)
POINTS AGAINST
19.1 (16th Overall)

Some games against B10 teams in Kill's time at NIU:

2010 - Beat MN and Lost to ILL by 6.
2009 - Beat Purdue by 7 and lost to UW by 8.
2008 - Lost to MN by 4 and lost to Tennessee by a score of 13-9 (They only played one B10 team that year so I included this one instead)

No shame in those losses and they were always in the game with inferior recruiting classes.

Just wanted to look up some data on NIU and thought I would share it. Pulled from ESPN site:

2010 OVERALL FBS RANKINGS FOR NIU

PASSING YARDS
181.2 (89th Overall)
RUSHING YARDS
264.8 (7th Overall)
POINTS FOR
37.8 (13th Overall)
POINTS AGAINST
19.1 (16th Overall)

Some games against B10 teams in Kill's time at NIU:

2010 - Beat MN and Lost to ILL by 6.
2009 - Beat Purdue by 7 and lost to UW by 8.
2008 - Lost to MN by 4 and lost to Tennessee by a score of 13-9 (They only played one B10 team that year so I included this one instead)

No shame in those losses and they were always in the game with inferior recruiting classes.

Let's hear it for moral victories!! He will fit right in!!

Those ranking are impressive, even though he faced a weaker schedule. Im interested in what this guy will do with our running game, he clearly knows how to "pound the rock" as demonstrated on Minnesota, and being 7th in the nation. We are deep at RB and have loads of linemen coming off redshirts.

2010 SOS rank: 121
Wins against teams with winning records under Kill: 2

He didn't have control over his conference schedule, but NIU did schedule a pretty good non-conference schedule at least in the years Kill was there.

I do think those loses were moral victories. They were losses plain and simple. But he is not the disaster hire some are making him out to be.

Moral victories? His team played a tough non-conference schedule and played for a conference championship this year.

I would kill to do as well against Minnesota's peer schools as Kill did against NIU's peers.

mckerney - they beat 3 teams with winning records this year alone.

Who cares if you can run the rock if you are down by 2-3 touchdowns, like we will be against the majority of the Big 10?

He didn't have control over his conference schedule, but NIU did schedule a pretty good non-conference schedule at least in the years Kill was there.

I do think those loses were moral victories. They were losses plain and simple. But he is not the disaster hire some are making him out to be.

Oops. Meant to say " I don't think those losses were moral victories "

I think it's all relative. He had good numbers with not so good recruiting. It shows player development and coaching. Maybe with a better recruiting base here, he can take us place. The man deserves a shot, but he is already getting mutilated by the media like we are the New york yankees

mckerney - they beat 3 teams with winning records this year alone.

Teams NIU beat this year
North Dakota 3-8
Minnesota 3-9
Akron 1-11
Temple 8-4
Buffalo 2-10
Central Michigan 3-9
Western Michigan 6-6
Toledo 8-4
Ball State 4-8
Eastern Michigan 2-10

Have to be honest with you, I'm gonna need a little help finding the third.

2010 SOS rank: 121
Wins against teams with winning records under Kill: 2

He didn't control their schedule. He guided his team to a 10-3 record this year against the competition that was scheduled. Isn't that what he's supposed to do?

He didn't control their schedule. He guided his team to a 10-3 record this year against the competition that was scheduled. Isn't that what he's supposed to do?

Never said there was anything he could do about it, but I'm not going to get too impressed by his record or predict great things when he has to go against a legitimate schedule.

Top Bottom