NIT or NCAA?

I'm sounding like a broken record, but I just hope they end up where they deserve to end up. If they finish the season strong, they deserve to get in. If they don't, they don't. Most of all, I just want to see them play better and not finish the season with such a bitter taste.

When people say the team made or missed the tournament in X amount of years, they aren't talking about the NIT.

The only chance they have at 7-11 is winning the BTT.

Agreed. Sadly the Gopher squad we saw last night will do well to get to 7-11. On the upside it is hard to imagine them playing so poorly again :)

Agreed. Sadly the Gopher squad we saw last night will do well to get to 7-11. On the upside it is hard to imagine them playing so poorly again :)

I can imagine it. We've done it 3 or 4 times already.

There still is 4 games left. it wouldn't be an impossible feet to win 2 of them.

it's not all doom and gloom for this team.

Still 4 games to play, plus opportunity knocks in Indy. Let's see what happens. If we've learned anything about this season's Big Ten is that anything can and has happened on any given night.

This is the key statement of this entire thread, SS. Let the games play out, and either celebrate by drinking a beer, or cry in our beer while drinking the beer of the guy sitting next to us.

I would say hands down we have not looked that bad since the second half vs Arkansas

I would put them in groups. I would say Northwestern, Arkansas, @Purdue, @Nebraska, Illinois. Are all in the same group of terrible performances.

Therefore, I would not be the least bit surprised to see us lose to Penn State at home.

EDIT: I've change my mind. You're somewhat right in my opinion, but I put Northwestern at home as a worse performance than Arkansas on a neutral court. Illinois and Northwestern at home are the two most haunting losses by far for me.

I would put them in groups. I would say Northwestern, Arkansas, @Purdue, @Nebraska, Illinois. Are all in the same group of terrible performances.

Therefore, I would not be the least bit surprised to see us lose to Penn State at home.

As we've seen, anybody can beat anybody - and does. As much as Pitino has tried to instill the awareness of that into his players, it doesn't seem to have taken. There's no option other than to bring your 'A' game every night.

NCAA, please. Call me a homer, but I still think we can hang with most teams if:
#1 Malik is on.
#2 Elliott and/or Mo stay out of foul trouble.
#3 Austin doesn't disappear for hours. nevermind, that will never happen.
#4 Dre actually wants to shoot

We need to win two more games regardless. Fortunately.....one of those wins will have to be against a current top-25 team.....which would add another good win to our resume. With that said......I'm still split on whether we'd need a win in the B10 tourney or not. If we go 7-11......we'd probably have to make the championship game to make it......and even then it would be questionable.

We knew this team would lose games it should win, and it has, twice at least. It hasn't really won a game it shouldn't yet. Time to do it. OSU is not that great. Let's get that one and then be loose for Iowa.

We knew this team would lose games it should win, and it has, twice at least. It hasn't really won a game it shouldn't yet.

With all due respect to the Gophers, I have to put the Ohio State and Wisconsin wins in the pleasant surprise category, especially the Badger game. But we've done our best to erase those wins by losing to Illinois, Northwestern, and Purdue.

Just one question. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?? Nooooooo

I was there last night and it was awful. But I would be totally disappointed and disgusted if any player or coach even uttered the term NIT. So as a fan I'm going to hold myself to that same standard and focus on how we're going to get to the NCAA Tourney.

With all due respect to the Gophers, I have to put the Ohio State and Wisconsin wins in the pleasant surprise category, especially the Badger game. But we've done our best to erase those wins by losing to Illinois, Northwestern, and Purdue.

Pleasant surprise, yes. But they were less than 5 point underdogs in those games, and they were at home. We were favored by 10 over NW and 7.5 over Illinois and we lost. I'd like to win a game where were that type of underdog, which each of the next 3 may represent (possibly not Iowa.)

I think the Gophers could go 7-11, go to BTT and win two games and get in.

Win first round against a 7-10 seed. Then beat a #1 or #2 Michigan or Michigan St.

That would put the Gophers at 9-11, then 9-12 after a loss to whoever we play after that. #3 or #4 Iowa / Wisconsin.
Maybe we need to win that one, but we wouldn't have to win the whole BTT.

I think Pitino gets this team to bounce back and win one of our really tough games (@OSU, Iowa, @Mich). Then we'll head into the PSU game with a ton of pressure to get the win, but ultimately squeak it out. So I'm expecting us to get to 8-10. Just my gut feeling.

ETA: Disclaimer: I did not see the 2nd half last night, so maybe things are worse than I think.

In bound

I think Pitino gets this team to bounce back and win one of our really tough games (@OSU, Iowa, @Mich). Then we'll head into the PSU game with a ton of pressure to get the win, but ultimately squeak it out. So I'm expecting us to get to 8-10. Just my gut feeling.

ETA: Disclaimer: I did not see the 2nd half last night, so maybe things are worse than I think.

Twice the Gophers in-bounded the ball after made baskets without crossing the end line first. TWICE. Each time by a 4 year Co-Capt.

Twice the Gophers in-bounded the ball after made baskets without crossing the end line first. TWICE. Each time by a 4 year Co-Capt.

I cannot recall seeing that called before, although I am sure it has been. I bet it also happened earlier in the game and Groce asked them to watch for it.

I think the Gophers could go 7-11, go to BTT and win two games and get in.

Win first round against a 7-10 seed. Then beat a #1 or #2 Michigan or Michigan St.

That would put the Gophers at 9-11, then 9-12 after a loss to whoever we play after that. #3 or #4 Iowa / Wisconsin.
Maybe we need to win that one, but we wouldn't have to win the whole BTT.

I wish you were on the selection commitee, but since you're not, there's zero chance that 7-11 with 2 BTT wins gets us in. If we get to the title game and lose, there's maybe a 33% chance, in part because the committee won't want to wait for the game to be over to finalize the bracket and our resume will be comparable to the other 'last four in.'

I cannot recall seeing that called before, although I am sure it has been. I bet it also happened earlier in the game and Groce asked them to watch for it.

The first one EE called attention to it becaused he stutter steped prior to passing, thus making it obvious. After that in sure the refs were looking for it.

Seems a little early for this thread.

Yep - that's part of the problem - Gophers and their fandome have been looking at the standings an awful lot since early in the B1G season. Perhaps should have just enjoyed the ride and stuck with the "overachieving" sticker.

The first one EE called attention to it becaused he stutter steped prior to passing, thus making it obvious. After that in sure the refs were looking for it.

Both were pretty obvious and the correct calls. Admittedly, it happens often enough and not called. Still, the right calls were made in both cases and, even as a frustrated Gopher fan, I have zero problem with those calls being made. I saw the one against Austin in full HD and blew the whistle on him before the official did.

Top Bottom