NIL

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
For good players but not great … are they staying in college for extra years because they want to get that additional free education … have a better opportunity to make more money in college from NIL endorsements. Not much chance of ever making the pros …. Do you think this played a factor in Morgan’s decision to stay on at the U of M?

For good players but not great … are they staying in college for extra years because they want to get that additional free education … have a better opportunity to make more money in college from NIL endorsements. Not much chance of ever making the pros …. Do you think this played a factor in Morgan’s decision to stay on at the U of M?
I'm not sure how much they make in them, but lets assume it's $20,000 (obviously my point will be stronger the greater the value of the NIL contract).

For the guys making a ton, they are probably NFL types, so NIL isn't competing.

For the guys who aren't, I think it's two-fold. First, they just have another year and most good players use up all of their eligibility. It was always super common to see guys play a 5th year after they graduated, so why not play a 6th. That slow death of a desk job is right around the corner :).

The second part of it is that it makes your time in college even that much better. They don't have a ton expenses, they will likely never more fun in life, and now they also have some nice spending cash to go with it. I think it's a well-deserved cherry on top.

I think you need to take the NIL dollar numbers with a big grain of salt and look at the NIL announcements very closely.

Many of the NIL signings are with NIL companies (many very new and kinda ... mysterious) and the dollar amounts of the deals are what the NIL company says they .... "could" make, or have similar not so exact language.

I'm sure there is money but I don't think it is anything competitive with the NFL and there's a TON of incentive for everyone to pump up these numbers when I'm not sure anything like those numbers is actually changing hands.

I'm not saying there is NO money but I'm not sure it is anything quite like the NFL / would dissuade someone from the NFL.

I think you need to take the NIL dollar numbers with a big grain of salt and look at the NIL announcements very closely.

Many of the NIL signings are with NIL companies (many very new and kinda ... mysterious) and the dollar amounts of the deals are what the NIL company says they .... "could" make, or have similar not so exact language.

I'm sure there is money but I don't think it is anything competitive with the NFL and there's a TON of incentive for everyone to pump up these numbers when I'm not sure anything like those numbers is actually changing hands.

I'm not saying there is NO money but I'm not sure it is anything quite like the NFL / would dissuade someone from the NFL.
I think it's likely more money than we all think and the most lucrative ones are due to social media followers. That has been monetized in a way where those people are making as much money as movie stars. This isn't all of them, but Logan Paul has a networth of between $20-$35 million dollars.

One of my wife's friends is a pretty woman who posts fitness things on her instagram. She was a yoga instructor who posts the typical self-indulgent BS you'd expect. I don't know how many followers she has or anything, but just from product placements, she makes almost 6 figures just from posting. These sorts of things are replacing commercials.

I think it's likely more money than we all think and the most lucrative ones are due to social media followers. That has been monetized in a way where those people are making as much money as movie stars. This isn't all of them, but Logan Paul has a networth of between $20-$35 million dollars.

One of my wife's friends is a pretty woman who posts fitness things on her instagram. She was a yoga instructor who posts the typical self-indulgent BS you'd expect. I don't know how many followers she has or anything, but just from product placements, she makes almost 6 figures just from posting. These sorts of things are replacing commercials.
What is her account name?

Need some CASE IH Red Zone dollars going to OL. Maybe a tractor commercial.

I agree that most of the NIL money in this town will be appearances and social media based. We have 6 professional teams to compete with.

As far as the University of Minnesota is concerned, this hasn't been the game changer that some forecasted, at least not yet. My information is about a month old, and I don't know anything about how much revenue any specific individuals are realizing, but at the U there are significantly less than 20% of the student-athletes who have any NIL agreements in place at all. Of the ones who do, they are split relatively equally between men and women.

As far as the University of Minnesota is concerned, this hasn't been the game changer that some forecasted, at least not yet. My information is about a month old, and I don't know anything about how much revenue any specific individuals are realizing, but at the U there are significantly less than 20% of the student-athletes who have any NIL agreements in place at all. Of the ones who do, they are split relatively equally between men and women.
I would doubt it’s a game changer for most schools and around 10% athletes at most. A lot more long snapper type athlete than star quarterback personas. The Jonnny Footballs of the world are few and far between.

Graham Mertz should have spent less time on his NIL deal and more time learning how to be a Big Ten QB.
Hey, he has a cool logo and everything. Can pop it on the front of his career highlight tape which is essentially just the 2020 Illinois game and then a clip or two from the remaining 20 games he has played in.

If it’s not against the rules, the group that secures sponsorships for U of M athletics should also be “helping to facilitate” NIL deals.

I am sorry but I can't remember the college ... it was out west ... a used car dealership set up a deal for something like $80,000 but it was to be spread out evenly to everyone on the football team. Those are the kind of deals I like. In a situation like this ... make playing until the season is over a stipulation of getting paid. Might keep kids from bailing on the team before the last games like some Gopher players did.

That deal was with the college to give to the players. I doubt you could do that with a player signing his own deal.

If it’s not against the rules, the group that secures sponsorships for U of M athletics should also be “helping to facilitate” NIL deals.
It is against the rules for the schools to be involved in lining up the deals. Many, including the U, have implemented education programs to inform the students what is and is not allowable under their rules. They have also made things like game photos available to the students so that they can post those in an effort to grow their followers and become more desirable marketing partners for outside businesses. They can't, however, put student A in touch with the Washburn-Mcreavy folks to foster a lucrative college athlete-funeral home ad campaign.

As a practical matter, I am sure that what is considered permissible at one school may not be at another and some states have passed laws governing this activity. (Minnesota has not.) That is why the NCAA member schools are seeking some federal legislation on the issue to try to create a single set of rules for them all to follow (and no doubt try to find ways to evade and exploit).

Rules without enforcement.

I think the games have just begun with this but am willing to follow the chaos from afar.

Of course there are rules and of course there will be consequences when they inexorably broken.

It is against the rules for the schools to be involved in lining up the deals. Many, including the U, have implemented education programs to inform the students what is and is not allowable under their rules. They have also made things like game photos available to the students so that they can post those in an effort to grow their followers and become more desirable marketing partners for outside businesses. They can't, however, put student A in touch with the Washburn-Mcreavy folks to foster a lucrative college athlete-funeral home ad campaign.

As a practical matter, I am sure that what is considered permissible at one school may not be at another and some states have passed laws governing this activity. (Minnesota has not.) That is why the NCAA member schools are seeking some federal legislation on the issue to try to create a single set of rules for them all to follow (and no doubt try to find ways to evade and exploit).
Yup.

The school can't facilitate these deals.

The school CAN direct students to agencies and etc who can do that for them ( the U has done that ). But the school can't manage these deals themselves.

Just to clarify about the rules, state laws can't open up more opportunities that the NCAA forbids, but it can restrict them. That puts MN in a good position, even if by accident.

Yup.

The school can't facilitate these deals.

The school CAN direct students to agencies and etc who can do that for them ( the U has done that ). But the school can't manage these deals themselves.
I think this is mostly right as long as by "direct students to agencies" you mean generally advise them that such businesses exist and may be helpful to them rather than point them to one or two preferred entities.

Just to clarify about the rules, state laws can't open up more opportunities that the NCAA forbids, but it can restrict them. That puts MN in a good position, even if by accident.
This is correct if your sole focus is on NCAA compliance (which I assume is what you mean). State laws are independent of any NCAA guidance or lack of guidance, so any state could absolutely open up more opportunities than what the NCAA or a member institution might allow. For example, the NCAA might prohibit students from partnering with or promoting businesses engaged in sports gambling. That doesn't mean that Iowa, to pick a state at random, might not have a law in place that says a student can promote any legal business, including sports gambling. A student engaging in that practice would not violate the law, but may violate NCAA guidelines.

And yes, I agree that institutions like Minnesota are better off without a state law in place.

I think this is mostly right as long as by "direct students to agencies" you mean generally advise them that such businesses exist and may be helpful to them rather than point them to one or two preferred entities.

This is correct if your sole focus is on NCAA compliance (which I assume is what you mean). State laws are independent of any NCAA guidance or lack of guidance, so any state could absolutely open up more opportunities than what the NCAA or a member institution might allow. For example, the NCAA might prohibit students from partnering with or promoting businesses engaged in sports gambling. That doesn't mean that Iowa, to pick a state at random, might not have a law in place that says a student can promote any legal business, including sports gambling. A student engaging in that practice would not violate the law, but may violate NCAA guidelines.

And yes, I agree that institutions like Minnesota are better off without a state law in place.

It kinda depends on what you mean, I'm not sure I follow. The NCAA only determines student eligibility to participate in sports. They're not involved in 'law' in any way directly.

The NCAA still can control what is allowed and isn't allowed as far as NIL goes, they can't prevent NIL generally, but they're still allowed to lay own rules on what a player can't do as far as remaining eligibility goes, even SCOTUS made that clear.

A given state can pass whatever law they want, but the NCAA still controls student eligibility. There's a disconnect there that doesn't really matter to some extent. As far as elibilty to play goes state law can't open up new opportunites as far as NIL an NCAA eligibility goes, it can only restrict them.

I am sorry but I can't remember the college ... it was out west ... a used car dealership set up a deal for something like $80,000 but it was to be spread out evenly to everyone on the football team. Those are the kind of deals I like. In a situation like this ... make playing until the season is over a stipulation of getting paid. Might keep kids from bailing on the team before the last games like some Gopher players did.

That deal was with the college to give to the players. I doubt you could do that with a player signing his own deal.
It was BYU. I believe it was set up in such a way to pay the tuition for all the walk-on players or something like that. Which isn't as big as you might think, because BYU has some of the lowest tuition in the country because the LDS subsidizes it so much. The question on a deal like this was, does this constitute violating the number of scholarship players a team can have? I don't know what ever happened with that.

It kinda depends on what you mean, I'm not sure I follow. The NCAA only determines student eligibility to participate in sports. They're not involved in 'law' in any way directly.

The NCAA still can control what is allowed and isn't allowed as far as NIL goes, they can't prevent NIL generally, but they're still allowed to lay own rules on what a player can't do as far as remaining eligibility goes, even SCOTUS made that clear.

A given state can pass whatever law they want, but the NCAA still controls student eligibility. There's a disconnect there that doesn't really matter to some extent. As far as elibilty to play goes state law can't open up new opportunites as far as NIL an NCAA eligibility goes, it can only restrict them.
We agree. I was just a bit unclear on your phrasing "state laws can't open up more opportunities that the NCAA forbids," but I understand that your focus is on NCAA compliance and agree it's correct from that view.

Top Bottom