NIL Problems Already?

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Nick Saban and Jimbo Fischer are feuding about which guy is “buying” a team. Deion Sanders, coaching a “lesser” school that has spent some serious NIL dollars on a few top players, already sees player control issues developing. How do assistant coaches handle an entitled college football player who gets several hundred thousand dollars just for signing with a school? Big NIL dollars might change some recruiting destinations for the top rated HS players (and transfers), but its ultimate effect could be to destroy cohesion, shared values and brotherhood in the lucky team’s locker room. I’m OK with the fact that Gophers don’t have tens of millions sitting in a phony NIL “cooperative” to dole out to a few entitled recruits. We’ll miss out on some recruits, but we might also miss out on the corrosive effects of big dollar NIL bribes.

Last edited:

I mean wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa are still going to get similar types of players that they did before

Which means they still will probably not beat Ohio state, but could.

But if the Ohio states and Alabama’s have chemistry ruined by this stuff.
Maybe upsets actually become more common

The NIL is a mess, plain and simple. But so is the NCAA, so the current system is what we're now stuck with.

Said it before and will say it again:

- I don't want the guy who feels like he's entitled to get paid $$$ out of high school.

- Give me the guy who wants to earn his money, by busting his ass and making people pay attention.

Friggin kids think they've done something ... in high school. Being a great player in high school is great and all ... but you haven't done s__t.

To "quote" Allen Iverson:
" .... we talkin bout high school?? We talking bout high school???"

- I don't want the guy who feels like he's entitled to get paid $$$ out of high school.

- Give me the guy who wants to earn his money, by busting his ass and making people pay attention.

Friggin kids think they've done something ... in high school. Being a great player in high school is great and all ... but you haven't done s__t.

Problem is, once they bust tail and prove themselves, they can leave go to the highest bidder.

I’m obvious referring to the “problem” from my perspective, not the athletes. Seems to be a good deal for them as additional options are always good.

Yeah platitudes like this are cute...but you have no idea which kids feel entitled and which ones will earn it. (like that doesn't change over time either...you know as kids age) That is just hyperbolic BS. This is the type of lies fans tell themselves to justify why they like certain players or hate similar players on other teams. "We prefer players that want to earn it, not the ones who have it handed to them" meanwhile not one of those fans has ever even met the player in question they are just pulling it out of their posterior.

And jesus could you be more condescending about kids "in high school"? You sound like you are just jealous because no one ever thought you were worth a damn at that age. It isn't like doing something "in college" makes them that much more worthy of anything. I am sure though, because you are just so pure and wanted to earn it that when you were 18 you surely would have balked at someone offering you cash or a nice salary to work for them right? I mean what did you do "in high school!!1!" to earn anything? You would have said "nah I will take an unpaid internship instead, because I want to do things the right way, the way they were done before!" Yeah that is the ticket...

in essence, it's no different from any person who is really good at something and has multiple offers.

If I'm a welder, and company A is offering me more money than Company B, I'm going to work at Company A. (barring any other red flags).

If I'm a musician, and I have different companies offering me a record deal, I'm going to sign for the most money I can get. (just don't sign a contract on the hood of a car in the parking lot at night - ask Bruce Springsteen about that).

And if I'm a hot-shot FB prospect, and I can make $50,000 in NIL at School A or $100,000 in NIL at School B, then I'm going to school B - unless there are some serious extenuating circumstances that would make me sign at a school with a lower offer.

Look, if I ran the world, I would impose a lot of restrictions on NIL, but I don't run the world. and the NCAA is a fooked-up mess of an organization.

so this is the way it works right now.

also, consider whether a kid is coming out of a tough environment, and Mom is cleaning houses to make ends meet, and you have a chance to provider her with some security. are you really going to turn down more money out of principle?

If I'm a welder, and company A is offering me more money than Company B, I'm going to work at Company A. (barring any other red flags).

If I'm a musician, and I have different companies offering me a record deal, I'm going to sign for the most money I can get. (just don't sign a contract on the hood of a car in the parking lot at night - ask Bruce Springsteen about that).

And if I'm a hot-shot FB prospect, and I can make $50,000 in NIL at School A or $100,000 in NIL at School B, then I'm going to school B - unless there are some serious extenuating circumstances that would make me sign at a school with a lower offer.
And if I'm one of the best football players in the world, looking to go into the NFL ........

NFL has it right.

Major college needs to get much closer to that model, and right quick. The product is going down the toilet.

And if I'm one of the best football players in the world, looking to go into the NFL ........

NFL has it right.

Major college needs to get much closer to that model, and right quick. The product is going down the toilet.
Will we see more College players stay 4 or 5 years because they don't want to take a pay cut by going to the NFL?

That question would seem to be tongue-in-cheek just a few months ago but now does not seem far fetched at all.

Will we see more College players stay 4 or 5 years because they don't want to take a pay cut by going to the NFL?

That question would seem to be tongue-in-cheek just a few months ago but now does not seem far fetched at all.
For late round picks/fringe NFL guys that's a definite possibility. Early round picks will still want to get that NFL contract ASAP.

I wonder what kind of stipulations are put into NIL contracts. Could an athlete just show up for a season, collect the cash, and then get paid somewhere else again?

Top Bottom