NIL musings

Classof 66

Reaction score
In the old days, we all started to be really worried when the salary of football coaches started to exceed the salary of the university president at many prestigious institutions. Now of course all head football coaches at Power Five level are paid more than that, often by a factor of 5 or even 10. In fact head football coaches are paid at the level of top corporate CEOs, as are some basketball coaches. Then the top assistant coaches started to get salaries higher than the university president. But now all the quarterbacks and many other top football performers (and many basketball starters) have salaries higher than the university president at the institutions where they "play". I bet the University of Chicago is not sad they dropped football in 1939 because the game hampered the university's efforts to become the kind of institution it aspired to be.

In the old days, we all started to be really worried when the salary of football coaches started to exceed the salary of the university president at many prestigious institutions. Now of course all head football coaches at Power Five level are paid more than that, often by a factor of 5 or even 10. In fact head football coaches are paid at the level of top corporate CEOs, as are some basketball coaches. Then the top assistant coaches started to get salaries higher than the university president. But now all the quarterbacks and many other top football performers (and many basketball starters) have salaries higher than the university president at the institutions where they "play". I bet the University of Chicago is not sad they dropped football in 1939 because the game hampered the university's efforts to become the kind of institution it aspired to be.
I bet the u of Chicago wishes they were able to get 80-100 mil based on t.v. deals...

I suppose so....

And think of how much money the schools could get from a cut of gambling revenues. Is there betting on who is going to enter the portal, and where individual portal players are going to enroll.

I might have taken a bet that Payne was going to stay. Or Carrington. Ben treated them both awfully well and took a big interest in their well being and development. Or that JOJ was headed out. Pouting on the bench is now called pining for portal.

Last edited:

I bet the u of Chicago wishes they were able to get 80-100 mil based on t.v. deals...

If they really did, they would have done something about it by now. There have been other institutions who have dropped certain sports or went down in divisional classification but returned.

Their endowment was reported to be over $10 billion in 2022 so I'd say they have access to money if they need it.

Can you imagine going to the Pohlad's and asking for NIL money? They probably wouldn't even take a phone call....

Glen Taylor is a Mankato State backer.....

The Wilf's? Maybe....but they certainly don't have any MN ties.....

The best shot in doing something like this might be Leipold and the Wild, although if they are or were do donate it would probably be earmarked for hockey.

Can you imagine going to the Pohlad's and asking for NIL money? They probably wouldn't even take a phone call....

The best shot in doing something like this might be Leipold and the Wild, although if they are or were do donate it would probably be earmarked for hockey.
Really looks like a cool program that signs Illinois HS kids that play D1 sports.

From the list.

• Abbey Murphy (Minnesota Women’s Hockey, Evergreen Park, Illinois – Mother McAuley HS)
"
The CHISOX Athlete program prioritizes a student-first approach focused on financial and professional marketing opportunities that help enhance students’ unique brands and platforms. Athletes are invited to the ballpark to throw a ceremonial first pitch prior to enjoying a VIP White Sox game experience.
First-year athletes receive behind-the-scenes insights on careers across the sports industry and access to professional resources within the organization’s front office, while returning members are invited to join the White Sox broadcast alongside on-air personalities from Sox television and radio partners NBC Sports Chicago and ESPN Radio (AM-1000)."

Pohlad’s would charge for the phone call

Part of me hopes Taylor loses the bid to keep the Twolves and the Gophers can convince him to bank roll a great Gopher team so we can complete for seats against the Twolves. Would be fun to see those two teams compete for the spotlight. Taylor would love the good press and sticking it to the bottom line of the Twolves.

Part of me hopes Taylor loses the bid to keep the Twolves and the Gophers can convince him to bank roll a great Gopher team so we can complete for seats against the Twolves. Would be fun to see those two teams compete for the spotlight. Taylor would love the good press and sticking it to the bottom line of the Twolves.
Could happen... Though I don't see Taylor investing via NIL in gopher bb considering his ties to Minnesota State Mankato or seeing him sit at a gopher bb game. It might make sense if he wants to hang out with people his own age 😂

Taylor is a Swamp New World Order oligarch. He wants to destroy men's college basketball.

I suppose so....

And think of how much money the schools could get from a cut of gambling revenues. Is there betting on who is going to enter the portal, and where individual portal players are going to enroll.

I might have taken a bet that Payne was going to stay. Or Carrington. Ben treated them both awfully well and took a big interest in their well being and development. Or that JOJ was headed out. Pouting on the bench is now called pining for portal.
Although I was perplexed Payne wasn’t”t starting the first 12 or so games of the season, when he was clearly our 2nd best post player, it seemed he was really utilizing him well at the end of the season. So it is probably that the U cannot come up with the NIL quite a few other teams can.

Really looks like a cool program that signs Illinois HS kids that play D1 sports.

From the list.

• Abbey Murphy (Minnesota Women’s Hockey, Evergreen Park, Illinois – Mother McAuley HS)
"
The CHISOX Athlete program prioritizes a student-first approach focused on financial and professional marketing opportunities that help enhance students’ unique brands and platforms. Athletes are invited to the ballpark to throw a ceremonial first pitch prior to enjoying a VIP White Sox game experience.
First-year athletes receive behind-the-scenes insights on careers across the sports industry and access to professional resources within the organization’s front office, while returning members are invited to join the White Sox broadcast alongside on-air personalities from Sox television and radio partners NBC Sports Chicago and ESPN Radio (AM-1000)."
Sounds like what we used to call internships.

Painter is a straight shooter and has the freedom to do so at this stage of his career.

An honest look would suggest the free transfer rules give the best teams a better chance at corralling talent than money alone. 290 teams are now farm systems for 60 teams.

Top Bottom