Nick Saban suspends player and takes a giant dump on the Alabama Basketball coach

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score

Can’t say it any better then that, be responsible for your actions
I remember hearing how Jerry Kill showed up he supposedly told Ra'Shede Hageman that if he wanted to stay on the team he had to quit living with the guys he was living with.

It really does matter who you hang out with, even if you aren’t the one doing the bad thing.

I remember hearing how Jerry Kill showed up he supposedly told Ra'Shede Hageman that if he wanted to stay on the team he had to quit living with the guys he was living with.

It really does matter who you hang out with, even if you aren’t the one doing the bad thing.
Were the shady guys Hageman was living with fellow Gopher football players?

The guy Saban suspended was hanging with non-athletes when he got in trouble.

It's hard for a coach to tell a player to not hang out with his teammates, which was the case for Bama basketball. But it looks like they recruited several dudes who have varying degrees of poor decision making.

Were the shady guys Hageman was living with fellow Gopher football players?

The guy Saban suspended was hanging with non-athletes when he got in trouble.

It's hard for a coach to tell a player to not hang out with his teammates, which was the case for Bama basketball. But it looks like they recruited several dudes who have varying degrees of poor decision making.
IIRC Hageman was living off campus in a house with a bad reputation.

It's not unprecedented for a coach in one sport to have a beef with a coach from a different sport at the same school.

back in the mid-70's, I got to know Herb Brooks a little bit while I was doing work-study at the Augsburg Ice Arena. (Gophers would practice at Auggie until the ice went in at the old rink in Williams Arena - the area that is now the Pavilion). Brooks went on this rant one day about all of the issues with the Gopher men's basketball program under Musselman - saying that it brought the wrong kind of attention to the school and might make the NCAA scrutinize other programs. I think the phrase was "it puts us all under the microscope."
I don't know if Herb ever expressed those ideas to Muss or anyone from the hoops program, but he got pretty worked up over it.

Does that mean I need to stop hanging around here with you guys?

It's not unprecedented for a coach in one sport to have a beef with a coach from a different sport at the same school.

back in the mid-70's, I got to know Herb Brooks a little bit while I was doing work-study at the Augsburg Ice Arena. (Gophers would practice at Auggie until the ice went in at the old rink in Williams Arena - the area that is now the Pavilion). Brooks went on this rant one day about all of the issues with the Gopher men's basketball program under Musselman - saying that it brought the wrong kind of attention to the school and might make the NCAA scrutinize other programs. I think the phrase was "it puts us all under the microscope."
I don't know if Herb ever expressed those ideas to Muss or anyone from the hoops program, but he got pretty worked up over it.
It is human tendency to want to look at the whole when a piece is showing signs of decay. It just makes the entire University look bad.

Does that mean I need to stop hanging around here with you guys?
5893378.jpg

Saban is correct. But would he make the same decision during the season if it’s most important player? Easy to suspend someone in March.
Definitely a big difference in the potential impact on the team. Also a pretty big difference in the severity of what each guy is accused of doing.

But we all understand why Miller wasn't disciplined at all as they clearly valued keeping him on the court in order to keep winning.

Willing to bet that Saban and Oates aren't real tight given the choice of words that Saban went with.

Definitely a big difference in the potential impact on the team. Also a pretty big difference in the severity of what each guy is accused of doing.

But we all understand why Miller wasn't disciplined at all as they clearly valued keeping him on the court in order to keep winning.

Willing to bet that Saban and Oates aren't real tight given the choice of words that Saban went with.
100% agree its two different situations. Miller shouldn't be playing but I'm not Oates.

Saban ist stupid. He knows exactly what he was saying. I actually like Saban--but I dont also believe its genuine with him or other highly successful coaches. Coach K suspending guys "indefinitely" for 1 game comes to mind.

100% agree its two different situations. Miller shouldn't be playing but I'm not Oates.

Saban ist stupid. He knows exactly what he was saying. I actually like Saban--but I dont also believe its genuine with him or other highly successful coaches. Coach K suspending guys "indefinitely" for 1 game comes to mind.
I don't know if Miller's involvement should have cost him his entire season but there should have been some form or suspension.

You always have to wonder just how much those legendary guys like Saban and Coach K are able to keep quiet based on who they are and the influence they have. PSU was an extreme example of that.

I don't know if Miller's involvement should have cost him his entire season but there should have been some form or suspension.

You always have to wonder just how much those legendary guys like Saban and Coach K are able to keep quiet based on who they are and the influence they have. PSU was an extreme example of that.
Why?! What happened at PSU?

Saban is saying that to every mom as he recruits their son. I'm not like the other coach and this is a good school and program. He knows exactly who he is talking to when he said it.

You become who you hang out with. Teen lessons 101.

Better to have no friends than bad friends. Lesson 102.

Saban is saying that to every mom as he recruits their son. I'm not like the other coach and this is a good school and program. He knows exactly who he is talking to when he said it.
Better message than Georga where they send your kid off to die with staff members present ...

Better message than Georga where they send your kid off to die with staff members present ...
Thats like blaming the Gophers for Gary Tinsley dying. Or a slew of other tragedies where a life is lost. You cannot control every player on your team 24/7. No one can. You can control how you respond to issues that arise.

Thats like blaming the Gophers for Gary Tinsley dying. Or a slew of other tragedies where a life is lost. You cannot control every player on your team 24/7. No one can. You can control how you respond to issues that arise.
Huh? Georgia players out drag racing with a female Georgia staffer in a Georgia vehicle which was supposed to be used only for recruiting purposes is comparable to a former player having a heart attack? I'm not getting it.......

Huh? Georgia players out drag racing with a female Georgia staffer in a Georgia vehicle which was supposed to be used only for recruiting purposes is comparable to a former player having a heart attack? I'm not getting it.......
I'm saying things happen that the coach cannot control and to say "Georgia where they send your kid off to die" is a fucking wild jump. What I responded to made it seems as if the Georgia team promoted this. If thats the case--rip away. But they didnt. A few players and a staffer acted stupidly--people died. If your kid acts stupidly anywhere--they may die. They may die doing nothing wrong (Tinsley) or have a coach kill them (Brian Kelly). Lots of examples but I dont think Georgia's coaches are to blame.

Brandon Hall getting shot and killed downtown would have been a better example.

Brandon Hall getting shot and killed downtown would have been a better example.
True. I'm at work and hungover so wasn't as focused. Just saying these things happen and are usually not preventable by the coaching staff. Besides Brian Kelly killing a kid.

In the Georgia example staff member was there and died too.

This wasn’t just one player making a bad choice or a random tragedy. In the Georgia situation a staff member was there to make bad choices with the player.

Last edited:

Top Bottom