Nick Saban: SEC at 'disadvantage,' Power Five should play by same rules

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

SEC coaches came to their annual spring meetings feeling disadvantaged. Some of them want the entire country to adopt their rule banning satellite summer camps. Some want the SEC to be on the same page with other conferences when it comes to accepting graduate student transfers.

This attitude of feeling disadvantaged was summed up by Alabama coach Nick Saban, who said Tuesday he wants all five major conferences to use the same rules.

“These things need to be global, otherwise we're going to become a farm system for all the other leagues,” Saban said. “And then the first question we're going to get asked is, we win seven national championships in a row and (reporters ask), 'Well, what's the state of the SEC? You haven't been in the championship game the last two years.'”

Saban made a passionate argument that the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12 need to have the same rules in all five leagues.

“If we're going to compete for the championship and everybody is going to play in the playoff system and everybody is going to compete for that, we need to get our rules in alignment so we're all on a level playing field, whether they're transfer rules, whether they're satellite camp rules,” Saban said.

“It's a disadvantage not to be able to do something in one league and be able to do it in another. It's a disadvantage to be able to recruit a player in one league and not be able to do it in another.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...dvantage-power-five-should-play-by-same-rules

Go Gophers!!

Oh, my. That poor SEC. When will they ever catch a break?

I'll never feel sorry for Nick Saban but I do agree that all 5 conferences should follow the same rules for consistency. That goes for transfers, oversigning, satellite campes, etc.

This is absurd. If the SEC wants to make its own rules which limit its programs, it can do so. It is not like the NCAA has given one set of rules to the SEC and another to the other conferences. Oh well, I guess he needs to make excuses for why the SEC's elite programs all feel flat on their face in bowl season last year. It can't be fun for Saban to lose to a third string quarterback.

This is absurd. If the SEC wants to make its own rules which limit its programs, it can do so. It is not like the NCAA has given one set of rules to the SEC and another to the other conferences. Oh well, I guess he needs to make excuses for why the SEC's elite programs all feel flat on their face in bowl season last year. It can't be fun for Saban to lose to a third string quarterback.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The SEC is choosing to put itself at a disadvantage, it's not being forced on them.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The SEC is choosing to put itself at a disadvantage, it's not being forced on them.

Interesting that he choose not to address that the B10 has a stricter, self imposed rule on oversigning than the SEC, which puts the B10 at a disadvantage.

Interesting that he choose not to address that the B10 has a stricter, self imposed rule on oversigning than the SEC, which puts the B10 at a disadvantage.

Exactly. An SEC team can sign half the state of Florida every year without discretion as to whether or not there's an actual scholarship for them.

I am fine with banning the satelite camps, but I would like to see early visits and signing period. Let the kids from down south see that we dont have winter for 9 months like everyone im sure tells them.

Exactly. An SEC team can sign half the state of Florida every year without discretion as to whether or not there's an actual scholarship for them.

The sad part is, there's a greater chance for the satellite camps being banned than the oversigning being limited.

I guess I don't know why the conferences don't just merge if they're all going to have the exact same rules? The whole basis of conferences was to ensure a group of teams were all playing by the same rules. If all conferences remove conference specific rules, then what's the point? I get some rules should be consistent, but at some point they should either be NCAA wide, NCAA D1 wide, NCAA D1 FBS wide or conference specific.

In this example, why stop at the Power 5? Wouldn't that start to give some advantages to the non-Power 5 conferences/independents? Some of those schools are borderline to mid (or better) Power 5 quality anyway, if they start getting better recruits due to satellite camps, etc., then how long do they remain lower tier?

I bet he is fine with their admissions though. It is easier for an athlete to get into Alabama than most Big Ten schools.

I bet he is fine with their admissions though. It is easier for an athlete to get into Alabama than most Big Ten schools.

+1. Hey Nicki, how about requiring all SEC schools to obtain the prestigious Association of American Universities accreditation. Aside from Vandy, Florida and SEC new comers A&M and Mizzou, the rest of that conference is a cesspool when it comes to academics. I'm sure Nicki would agree that all HC should be paid the same salary to keep things fair. Oh, and how about a rule that requires all booster clubs to pay off their coach's mortgage? We all want a level playing field, right?

“It's a disadvantage not to be able to do something in one league and be able to do it in another. It's a disadvantage to be able to recruit a player in one league and not be able to do it in another.”

tOT3Y2N.jpg

>>This attitude of feeling disadvantaged was summed up by Alabama coach Nick Saban... “It's a disadvantage not to be able to do something in one league and be able to do it in another. It's a disadvantage to be able to recruit a player in one league and not be able to do it in another.”

I had to do a double-take to make sure this wasn't an Onion article I was reading. They cheat in recruiting, they take way more commitments than they have places for, they grayshirt, they get kids admitted that have no business in college and that would never sniff a B1G or Pac12 school, their bag men run rampant, I could go on and on. And they're complaining about satellite camps, which allow kids to meet other coaches and learn about other programs so they can make a more fully informed decision? Wow that sounds terrible.

The rule prohibiting summer official visits is the most outrageous rule that needs to change. Complete self-interest by southern schools keeping it the way it is, trying to limit competition and kids' options.

Nick Saban? The poor, disadvantaged SEC? Bwaaahahahahaha!

I'm just wondering if the Onion's editors rose in unison and gave him a standing ovation when they learned of this utter tripe.

Aaaaand the SEC reverses itself on it's ban:

A couple SEC coaches admit that their stance on satellite camps may be a bit selfish.

But if the league's national proposal to ban the camps does not pass, many of the same coaches who have spent the last year complaining about them will be on the road next summer.

The SEC's athletic directors voted to drop its restriction against satellite camps on Wednesday during the league's annual spring meetings in Destin, Florida.

Link

I'm sure the good folks in South Bend would be tickled to see uniformity between the power 5 conferences at least from a football perspective.

The thing is, Saban doesn't want to have to do satellite camps. It's Alabama - they don't need to take time to do yet another camp. He just doesn't want other leagues to come South and be able to do them either, thus further accentuating the advantages southern teams already have (closer proximity to the largest pools of the best prospects, h.s. spring football practices, etc.)

I heard Les Miles approached the topic differently, "Yeah, lets do satellite camps and lets set up shop in Michigan, in Ohio, in PA".

I heard national guys in Sirius saying that we can expect SEC teams to blatantly schedule camps in direct competition to those Northern teams may schedule in the south - as in, same day, neighboring high schools - with the thinking no southern kid in their right mind is going to choose a northern school camp over an SEC camp.

Regarding oversigning, Houston Nutt (one of the Sirius guys) said they oversigned at Ole Miss when he was there, but said not a single SEC team oversigned this past spring. I have no idea if that's accurate or not.

They do play by the same rules. The SEC is free to open a satellite camp in South Dakota, and is also free to recruit AJ Barker. What's the problem?

Top Bottom