Nice job by the linebackers

They did a solid job with Sori Marin going down. Was this the first game Burns saw action, he flashed. Gibbens looked really good.
Gibbens and Sori-Marin looked like they were P'Od in the press conference for Purdue. Good to see that they were able to respond.

Gibbons had a hell of a game it seemed. Can't remember any big mistakes on his end, and he was great in pass coverage
Yeah, shame he wasn't able to come down with any of those balls he got his hands on. He has definitely proven he can play at this level and was a great pickup by Fleck and Co.

Yeah, shame he wasn't able to come down with any of those balls he got his hands on. He has definitely proven he can play at this level and was a great pickup by Fleck and Co.
Definitely. Happy to have him. Active and experienced.

Shutout second half without MSM. Too bad he got banged up but maybe they should look at that going forward...

I think it was Gibbens who was pulling some DEs into the right spot. Also on the Purdue missed field goal I think it was him who pulled one of the DL off from lining up over the long snapper.

The entire defense did a great job considering how long they were on the field for. If the offense had been able to sustain so drives and give them some more rest I bet we would have seen an even better game!

Really like LeCaptain. Hard to believe we are still lining up illegally on FGs. 🧐
That's got me too. In another thread, I questioned what the distance actully is "off center". He looked to be lined up in the gap.

That's got me too. In another thread, I questioned what the distance actully is "off center". He looked to be lined up in the gap.
It's like holding. Ref can call it any time unless no one is even close to center. Also like targeting. Some refs just need to virtue signal.

The entire defense did a great job considering how long they were on the field for. If the offense had been able to sustain so drives and give them some more rest I bet we would have seen an even better game!
One of those games that shows you how close the difference between a loss, win, or domination really is in some games.

yup on his second one....over the middle....great job by him getting deep and getting a hand on the ball....but he did screw up a gift INT for i believe Oliver who was jumping in front of the WR as well....

but dang he was so close

They did a solid job with Sori Marin going down. Was this the first game Burns saw action, he flashed. Gibbens looked really good.
Nice to see both Willis and Burns get some PT and get in on some plays. The role for Willis seems to be gradually growing with each week.

Gibbens is a BIG part of this defense this year. Sucks to only have him for 1 year (if I'm not mistaken?). I would imagine him having an impactful year might make it more attractive to draw in similar transfers down the road if that's the way they want to go. Obviously better to home-grow the talent and not rely on transfers but this is clearly the way things are going, may as well capitalize when possible and fill gaps where needed.

In that situation, where a penalty would be disastrous (giving Purdue a first down and a renewed shot at a touchdown), there is no upside in having the NG shave it real close on what it means to be within the area around the snapper that can be penalized—an area enlarged by a 2020 rule change. You move the NG to a spot clearly and unquestionably outside the possible penalty zone. Force Purdue to make a tough kick in the rain (a tough job for the holder); don’t gift them a first down by lining up in a way that invites a penalty call, even if the call would be marginal. Too much to lose for so little hypothetical gain.

Nice to see both Willis and Burns get some PT and get in on some plays. The role for Willis seems to be gradually growing with each week.

Gibbens is a BIG part of this defense this year. Sucks to only have him for 1 year (if I'm not mistaken?). I would imagine him having an impactful year might make it more attractive to draw in similar transfers down the road if that's the way they want to go. Obviously better to home-grow the talent and not rely on transfers but this is clearly the way things are going, may as well capitalize when possible and fill gaps where needed.
Willis and Burns are both a little underweight for what we appear to like at LB, but both seem to have top end speed. Which can come in handy. Once Harris is gone as nickel back, I wonder if either Burns or Willis could play there? Might not have the coverage skills or ability needed, but they sure could bring the size and the hitting.

May be able to utilize a hard-hitting LB as the nickel guy next year. Both Nubin and Walley are going to make up for a lot of coverage weaknesses; Walley maybe headed for all-BIG.-

Fleck did a masterful job on transfers, all in positions of need. Two DL, LB, WR, and place kicker.

Fleck did a masterful job on transfers, all in positions of need. Two DL, LB, WR, and place kicker.
Kind of refreshing to see a high hit rate on transfers. Haven’t seen that much that I can recall during Kill or Brewster eras. Mason had some hits.

Kind of refreshing to see a high hit rate on transfers. Haven’t seen that much that I can recall during Kill or Brewster eras. Mason had some hits.
Fleck does really seem to hit on the people he adds through unconventional means.

Kill/Claeys did a really nice job with this too.
  • Damien Wilson
  • D. Campbell
  • Brien Boddy-Calhoun
  • Isaac Fruechte
  • Roland Johnson
  • McCrary
  • V. Calhoun
  • G. Wright
  • D. Greene
Those guys all played a lot (starters) and a few of them play(ed) in the NFL. Poock, Gillum, and Shabazz gave some depth but weren't big splashes.

Fleck does really seem to hit on the people he adds through unconventional means.

Kill/Claeys did a really nice job with this too.
  • Damien Wilson
  • D. Campbell
  • Brien Boddy-Calhoun
  • Isaac Fruechte
  • Roland Johnson
  • McCrary
  • V. Calhoun
  • G. Wright
  • D. Greene
Those guys all played a lot (starters) and a few of them play(ed) in the NFL. Poock, Gillum, and Shabazz gave some depth but weren't big splashes.
I wasn’t counting juco players. All of those players were juco guys. Was thinking more like the Brendan Beal types that were four stars out of HS go to big P5 programs then seem to get injuries transfer here and ride the bench.

I wasn’t counting juco players. All of those players were juco guys.
I don't know why we wouldn't count JuCo.

But I guess, yes, you're right, Fleck has done a much better job grabbing players out of the portal than any previous coach. It helps that it didn't exist before 2018, but those are just details.

I don't know why we wouldn't count JuCo.

But I guess, yes, you're right, Fleck has done a much better job grabbing players out of the portal than any previous coach. It helps that it didn't exist before 2018, but those are just details.
I don’t know I guess cause you can watch the juco guys play and evaluate them, many of these other transfers have been through injuries or haven’t played for years so it’s a different evaluation. The portal didn’t exist, but that’s just something created to organize things, players could still transfer before it. Maybe it is easier to identify who they are now? Or if that’s just easier for the public. Not sure how the inner workings of transfers work.

Top Bottom