NFL Supplemental Draft

GopherHomer

Am I Though?
Reaction score
I just heard a quick preview of the NFL Supplemental Draft on ESPN Radio inbetween Judd and Dubay segments. The only names they mentioned were two defensive linemen from UNLV. I admit that I am not entirely sure how this draft works, but did these guys recently leave UNLV? Might bode well for first game of the year...

Here's a quick write up on both. One didn't play at all last year, and the other is supposedly very athletic but didn't produce much last year. I'm not sure what happened for them to go the supplemental route, but it's good news nonetheless that they won't be part of UNLV's depth chart on the line. Not that it should've mattered.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/07/08/nfl-supplemental-draft-2013-preview/

As far as I know, the Supplemental draft is for college players who did not declare in time for the regular draft, but do not want to (or can't) return for another season in college. A lot of the time, it involves players who find out too late that they would be ineligible at college due to grades or off-field issues. In other words - may have some talent, but may also be a risk due to other factors.

NFL teams have the right to select someone in the Supplemental Draft based on the regular draft order, but most teams pass. -- PS. if you select someone, you lose a pick in next year's regular draft.

As far as I know, the Supplemental draft is for college players who did not declare in time for the regular draft, but do not want to (or can't) return for another season in college. A lot of the time, it involves players who find out too late that they would be ineligible at college due to grades or off-field issues. In other words - may have some talent, but may also be a risk due to other factors.

NFL teams have the right to select someone in the Supplemental Draft based on the regular draft order, but most teams pass. -- PS. if you select someone, you lose a pick in next year's regular draft.

Yeah, it's kind of like a sealed auction, where each team has to submit the round they would like to draft someone and then the lowest pick gets the player and it costs that round's pick next year. The reason many teams don't like to pick people there is that you could end up getting all your picks which could leave you without many picks the next year. Obviously several notable exceptions (tOSU's Pryor being the most famous recent example). Wikipedia has a good writeup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft (just scroll to the supplemental part)

Top Bottom