NFL Players and number changes

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Has anyone been following much of this lately? This sure seems kind of ridiculous but I guess if it's that important to them, have at it. From what I gather, some players are spending as much as $500k (maybe a lot more in some cases?) to buy out old jersey stock so that they can change their NFL jersey number. The latest I heard is that Cowboys LB Jaylin Smith dumped around $500k to change his jersey number from #54 to #9; I'm sure Romo is thrilled about that, along with all of the Romo jersey owners. To top that off, if I'm not mistaken, if Smith would have waited until the 2022 season, it wouldn't have cost him anything.

Dalvin Cook, for one, chose to stick with his No. 33 on the Minnesota Vikings because the price of his unsold jerseys was reportedly $1.5 million.

I've heard of a few others, but damn this just seems kind of ridiculous.

Has anyone been following much of this lately? This sure seems kind of ridiculous but I guess if it's that important to them, have at it. From what I gather, some players are spending as much as $500k (maybe a lot more in some cases?) to buy out old jersey stock so that they can change their NFL jersey number. The latest I heard is that Cowboys LB Jaylin Smith dumped around $500k to change his jersey number from #54 to #9; I'm sure Romo is thrilled about that, along with all of the Romo jersey owners. To top that off, if I'm not mistaken, if Smith would have waited until the 2022 season, it wouldn't have cost him anything.

Dalvin Cook, for one, chose to stick with his No. 33 on the Minnesota Vikings because the price of his unsold jerseys was reportedly $1.5 million.

Yes, it's a little crazy, although the newly rich sometimes make questionable spending decisions.

The first time I recall hearing about this requirement was when Bengals WR Chad Johnson wanted to change his name to Chad Ocho Cinco. He found out he'd have to pay for the already printed Johnson jerseys, so he waited a year. Then, because he filled out the paperwork wrong, the NFL told him that they would only allow him to change it to "Ochocinco" (which he did) not "Ocho Cinco" like he wanted. Then a couple of years later, he changed it back to Chad Johnson.

Why do athletes go broke?

Top Bottom