Next years starting QB

I know you think Moses is garbage, but you must not feel very strong about Gray or Parrish.

So are you guessing that our QB is going to be JuCo or a true freshman?

Kevin Larson #4 QB from the undefeated Rosemount Irish will run the veer for the Gophers next year for Mike Grant at the U,

I was thinking about this the other day and I'm not so sure that Rosemountian isn't correct.

Let me explain why there is an extremely limited pool of possibibilities which makes this idea almost non existant.

Possibility #1: True Freshman - The number of true freshman that have started at a BCS level school is miniscule and those that did were 5 star big time recruits. There aren't any of those left on the board and even if there was, the new coach would have less than 3 months to get them to commit.

Possibility #2: Transfer - Transfer rules stipulate that any player transfering from a FBS to another FBS school must sit out a season. Therefore said transfer would be ineligible to play in 2011

Possibility #3 JUCO - This is the most likely scenario yet still very unlikely. #1 Said QB would have to be a mid year transfer. It is almost impossible for a QB to win a starting job without being there in the spring. #2 Mid year transfers have to be full qualifiers out of HS or fulfill AA degree requirements in one and a half years which is no easy task. #3 New coach will have even less time to recruit a QB like this. The QB would need to be enrolled in classes by 2nd semester. That means that in less than 2 months the new HC will have to lock up his starting QB. Don't bank on it.

Kevin Larson #4 QB from the undefeated Rosemount Irish will run the veer for the Gophers next year for Mike Grant at the U,

:D
That would be a complete disaster. It would make us long for the days of Jed Fisch

Let me explain why there is an extremely limited pool of possibibilities which makes this idea almost non existant.

Possibility #1: True Freshman - The number of true freshman that have started at a BCS level school is miniscule and those that did were 5 star big time recruits. There aren't any of those left on the board and even if there was, the new coach would have less than 3 months to get them to commit.

Possibility #2: Transfer - Transfer rules stipulate that any player transfering from a FBS to another FBS school must sit out a season. Therefore said transfer would be ineligible to play in 2011

Possibility #3 JUCO - This is the most likely scenario yet still very unlikely. #1 Said QB would have to be a mid year transfer. It is almost impossible for a QB to win a starting job without being there in the spring. #2 Mid year transfers have to be full qualifiers out of HS or fulfill AA degree requirements in one and a half years which is no easy task. #3 New coach will have even less time to recruit a QB like this. The QB would need to be enrolled in classes by 2nd semester. That means that in less than 2 months the new HC will have to lock up his starting QB. Don't bank on it.

If you bring in a pass heavy spread guy, he will bring in a freshman QB from somewhere to run the offense.
If you run a pro-style offense, there is apparently no one on the roster better than Weber (as evidenced by his playing) so bringing in a mediocre recruit would make him the best pro-style QB on the roster.

There is the possibility of Juco, especially with a new coach looking to fill his first recruiting class.

The way a QB on the roster will be able to play is if it is a run heavy spread (Gray) or an option offense (Gray).
I know for a fact that Alipate will NOT be the starting QB for a team I will be watching (If he starts for us I am taking a 4 yr leave of absence because there is a 0% chance of success.

I admit I do not know enough about Parish to pass judgement. But seeing as how everyone seems to have him lower rated than Alipate, I am going to guess he wouldn't be the answer either.

I personally have a feeling that we will bring in a non-spread coach because Maturi feels the need to bring in someone who "understands Minnesota" and for some reason Minnesotans in general have something against any type of spread offense. In which case I hope the new coach brings in a freshman QB to run the show. Move Gray to WR only (so he can practice full time at WR) and have him be the other kick returner with TS.

If it is Alipate we are in trouble. I'd love to give him the benefit of the doubt after following him at Jefferson, but anyone who saw him in HS knows he was so far away, despite the rankings. I never talked to anyone else in the media who saw him play that was actually excited about the current state of his game. It was always...."If he can work on ___ and ___ and ___ he could be good in college. And those were the kind statements. Not exactly a ringing endorsment. Also, when Brew himself says he's not close to playing I don't hold out much hope. He is the only player in 4 years to my knowledge that Brew has actually said this about. That can't be good.

If you bring in a pass heavy spread guy, he will bring in a freshman QB from somewhere to run the offense.
If you run a pro-style offense, there is apparently no one on the roster better than Weber (as evidenced by his playing) so bringing in a mediocre recruit would make him the best pro-style QB on the roster.

There is the possibility of Juco, especially with a new coach looking to fill his first recruiting class.

The way a QB on the roster will be able to play is if it is a run heavy spread (Gray) or an option offense (Gray).
I know for a fact that Alipate will NOT be the starting QB for a team I will be watching (If he starts for us I am taking a 4 yr leave of absence because there is a 0% chance of success.

I admit I do not know enough about Parish to pass judgement. But seeing as how everyone seems to have him lower rated than Alipate, I am going to guess he wouldn't be the answer either.

I personally have a feeling that we will bring in a non-spread coach because Maturi feels the need to bring in someone who "understands Minnesota" and for some reason Minnesotans in general have something against any type of spread offense. In which case I hope the new coach brings in a freshman QB to run the show. Move Gray to WR only (so he can practice full time at WR) and have him be the other kick returner with TS.

I don't neccesarily disagree with you about our current QB not being on the roster, but I really can't imagine that a new coach will be bringing in a JuCo guy.

I think the possibilities are really most likely on the roster...
If we are running a run heavy type of offense, I can't imagine that a true freshman or most JuCo guys would be better than Gray. I don't think Gray will move to WR if Alipate is as bad as some people on here seem to think he is. I'm not saying that you guys are wrong, but I can't imagine why a team wouldn't switch his position if he is really that awful of a QB (he is 6'5" 250 and moves decent).

If we go to a spread that is anything but an Air Raid type of offense, I fully expect that to be Gray.

I will give you this, if we get Mike Leach or Dana Halgorson or any of the pass happy coaches (Sumlin, etc.)...I think Gray will be a WR and we will go get a Qb.

not so sure, rumor (that I am just starting) has it that when Mike Grant is named HC, Ryan will be his starting QB

:p So is it true? Adam Weber won't be coming back next year?? (That's, I say, that's a joke son. Boy ain't got the sense to come in outta the rain....)

I would take that bet in a heart beat. Between Gray, Alipate, and Parrish you've got three completely different quarterbacks. One of them will start.

This is well put.

For the record, I think Gray will start next year no matter what. Even in a Leach, pass-happy offense.

Disagree

I disagree to an extent. I don't think it's a huge stretch to say next year's starter is NOT on the roster right now.

Let's say the UofM makes that big hire, the home run hire they're talking about. That guy goes up to just about any kid right now that's NOT committed, either a TOP high school QB or even one of the TOP JuCo's in the country and says...

"You can come with me and be MY GUY from Day One in my efforts to bring this program back to respectability"

Coming from the right guy, a message like that could carry a lot of weight. Completely hypothetical, but Phil Fulmer could go up to a young man with major league QB skill and say, you're going to be my next Peyton Manning. That sells.

Not saying it would happen, but it's no major stretch either. The Gophers will have a completely new coaching staff. Not uncommon for the new guy to want to sink or swim with his recruit.

True Freshman is the most likely. You must have missed the part where the current Gopher QB was a true Freshman. Penn State starts a True Freshman. Juice Williams started as a true freshman. Tate Forcier started as a True Freshman. Terrell Pryor was starting as a true Freshman by the end of the year.

It is not as unlikely as you think.
The fact that Gray can't beat out Weber indicates that he isn't a very good QB. The fact that I have seen Alipate play and he is terrible indicates that he isn't the answer.
It is Parish, Gray, or True Freshman....and it isn't Parish.

It is Gray or a True Freshman.

The fact that Gray can't beat out Weber indicates that he isn't a very good QB.

Or, it indicates that we had a terrible coaching staff who was (or shortly will be) fired for, among many other things, not being able to utilize our best athlete at the most important position on the field.

Or, it indicates that we had a terrible coaching staff who was (or shortly will be) fired for, among many other things, not being able to utilize our best athlete at the most important position on the field.

I am hoping that is what it indicates, because when he picked MN I was hoping he was the messiah to gopher football

Can anyone give us an update on Parish? I haven't heard a damn thing about him for quite a while.

Fargoflash was all over Alipate again today......

Serious question:
What is the percent chance the FargoFlash has ever seen him play a game?

Serious Answer: 0%

Just because a guy is tall and has a strong arm, it doesn't mean he is the QB of the future. The guy couldn't complete 50% of his passes his senior year of high school (inaccurate) and he wasn't even the best QB in Bloomington for 2/3 years he was a starter (Aber at Kennedy was much better). He couldn't lead his team to victories (something like 4-5 in his 3 years as a starter).

That is just what Minnesota needs. A QB who has an inaccurate arm and a tendency to play for teams that lose games......Didn't we just have 4 years of that QB.

Alipate is nothing more than a larger, slower, less accurate version of Adam Weber.

Top Bottom