Next Year

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
What's the line-up?

PG Andre Hollins
SG Austin Hollins
SF Rodney
PF Mbakwe (he'll test, but he has a lot to improve offensively before he's draftable)
C Ralph

------------------

PF Walker
C Colton
SG Chip
SG Coleman
C Elliott
PG Maverick
PF Halvorsen
SF Dawson
?? 3rd recruit (Welch/Brooks/??)

Am I missing anyone?

If Andre Hollins can step right in and be dynamic from day 1, Austin can improve his shooting and gain some weight, Rodney can develop (finally) and put some work in on his game...

I don't think its as doom and gloom as everyone thinks it will be.

The big question is whether Tubby will change up his offensive schemes a little bit, do more than high-low, get some more motion and just generally let the kids play...its clear that right now what he's doing is just too stagnant and it kills us late in close games.

Expecting a freshman to step in and run point in the Big Ten is a tall order. I'll be anxious to see how it comes together next year.

i could see rodney playing the 2 and then otto playing the 3 before the big ten season starts

We will finally have a line-up that can press and trap again. That is what I am most excited about. This year's team couldn't force turnovers and there were no easy baskets.

I'd predict (assuming we get a JUCO point, whether it's Welch or whoever, and also that everyone comes back):

PG JUCO
SG Austin Hollins
SF Rodney
PF Mbakwe
C RSII

Off bench (In order of level in rotation)
Guards: Andre Hollins, Chip, then Mav
Forwards: Oto, Joe Coleman, then Halverson
Post men: Colt, Big Mo, Eliason, then Dawson

I see Andre playing a 6th man type role, where he will have time at point, but will play off the ball plenty. Oto will be on the floor often IMO because of his shooting ability, and also his length. Big Mo, depends on the quickness of his recovery and his fitness.

Thanks. Forgot Oto...

If he can stroke the 3 ball like reports say he can that will open up a lot for us because looking at that team next year outside shooting is again a question mark.

I think having Walker back in that bigs rotation will be huge. We really just need two of these guys to STEP UP: Hollins, Hollins, Rodney, Coleman, Chip, Welch (?)...we need SOMETHING outside.

I'd like to see this for a depth chart:

PG: Juco PG / Andre Hollins / Maverick Ahanmisi
SG: Chip Armelin / Austin Hollins
SF: Rodney Williams / Joe Coleman / Oto Osenieks / Chris Halvorsen
PF: Trevor Mbakwe / Oto Osenieks / Elliot Eliason / Dominique Dawson
C: Ralph Sampson III / Mo Walker / Colton Iverson / Eliot Eliason

This team should be really deep, especially in the front court.

I struggle to believe that Andre won't start, whether we get a JUCO point guard or not. Here's my guess at the starters:

PG - Andre Hollins
SG - Julian Welch
SF - Rodney Williams
PF - Trevor Mbakwe
C - Ralph Sampson

Like usual, starters won't really be that important as I expect guys like Austin Hollins, Coleman, Walker, Iverson, and Chip to get a lot of playing time whether it's off the bench of if they are starting. With more depth and athleticism next year I'd like to see us press a lot more and get more fast break points. I wouldn't want to have to try to defend guys like Mbakwe, Rodney, Coleman, Chip, and both Hollins' in transition. Lets use our depth and athleticism to our advantage.

I've never seen Oto play before nor have I even seen highlights so I'm not even going to try to guess at how much he will contribute. Hopefully he will be good though.

I struggle to believe that Andre won't start, whether we get a JUCO point guard or not. Here's my guess at the starters:

PG - Andre Hollins
SG - Julian Welch
SF - Rodney Williams
PF - Trevor Mbakwe
C - Ralph Sampson

Like usual, starters won't really be that important as I expect guys like Austin Hollins, Coleman, Walker, Iverson, and Chip to get a lot of playing time whether it's off the bench of if they are starting. With more depth and athleticism next year I'd like to see us press a lot more and get more fast break points. I wouldn't want to have to try to defend guys like Mbakwe, Rodney, Coleman, Chip, and both Hollins' in transition. Lets use our depth and athleticism to our advantage.

I've never seen Oto play before nor have I even seen highlights so I'm not even going to try to guess at how much he will contribute. Hopefully he will be good though.

If Andre and Welch were both to start, Welch would be the PG and Hollins would be the SG.

If Andre and Welch were both to start, Welch would be the PG and Hollins would be the SG.

Why is that? I've never seen Welch play in person, but judging by his highlights he gives me no indication that he is a point guard. I understand that a highlight video doesn't tell the whole story, but I doubt you've seen anything of him other than highlight videos either. Hollins was told by Tubby that he will play point guard, granted it was before we offered Welch, but it at least proves that Tubby sees potential in Andre as a point guard. I don't think it really matters though, I actually meant to add that I think they will likely both share point guard duties and whoever happens to bring the ball up the court will run the offense on that posession. We will see what happens though.

What's the line-up?

PG Andre Hollins
SG Austin Hollins
SF Rodney
PF Mbakwe (he'll test, but he has a lot to improve offensively before he's draftable)
C Ralph

------------------

PF Walker
C Colton
SG Chip
SG Coleman
C Elliott
PG Maverick
PF Halvorsen
SF Dawson
?? 3rd recruit (Welch/Brooks/??)

Am I missing anyone?

If Andre Hollins can step right in and be dynamic from day 1, Austin can improve his shooting and gain some weight, Rodney can develop (finally) and put some work in on his game...

I don't think its as doom and gloom as everyone thinks it will be.

The big question is whether Tubby will change up his offensive schemes a little bit, do more than high-low, get some more motion and just generally let the kids play...its clear that right now what he's doing is just too stagnant and it kills us late in close games.

Just me, but that does not look like a real good team...and thats if no one leaves.

Unproven guards and wings, and besides Trevor, underacheivers at the Bigs...

Why is that? I've never seen Welch play in person, but judging by his highlights he gives me no indication that he is a point guard. I understand that a highlight video doesn't tell the whole story, but I doubt you've seen anything of him other than highlight videos either. Hollins was told by Tubby that he will play point guard, granted it was before we offered Welch, but it at least proves that Tubby sees potential in Andre as a point guard. I don't think it really matters though, I actually meant to add that I think they will likely both share point guard duties and whoever happens to bring the ball up the court will run the offense on that posession. We will see what happens though.

Everything I've read about Welch makes it seem like he is a ture PG, while everything I've read about Hollins makes it seem like he is a combo guard. I don't think they start together though but I could see them playing together at times. Hopefully we get Welch (or another decent Juco PG). I can't wait for next year, I'm more optimistic than most.

Just me, but that does not look like a real good team...and thats if no one leaves.

Unproven guards and wings, and besides Trevor, underacheivers at the Bigs...

Hard to call Mo and underachiever...he showed signs of toughness, touch and finishing ability before his injury.

I realize Ralph and Colt were disappointing this year, but can you point out a deeper and better returning front court in the Big Ten? Trevor is probably the best returning big man in the Big Ten. Then you add in Ralph, Colt, Mo Walker, Eliot Eliason and you have a ton of size in the front court.

The back court and wings are going to be pretty in experienced but we've got a lot of them and they are very athletic. Welch, Hollins, Hollins, Chip, Coleman, Rodney should all be very good in the full court press and since we'll be so deep, Tubby will be able to press as much as he likes.

Everything I've read about Welch makes it seem like he is a ture PG, while everything I've read about Hollins makes it seem like he is a combo guard. I don't think they start together though but I could see them playing together at times. Hopefully we get Welch (or another decent Juco PG). I can't wait for next year, I'm more optimistic than most.

Im optimistic too. I guess we'll find out how much of a point guard Welch is once he gets here (assuming he does actually commit here). Either way our guard situation should be better next year than it was at the end of this season. Like I said before, I really hope we pressure teams more and get out in transition as I think it'll work to our advantange and it's always exciting to see a team with big-time athletes get out in transition.

Im optimistic too. I guess we'll find out how much of a point guard Welch is once he gets here (assuming he does actually commit here). Either way our guard situation should be better next year than it was at the end of this season. Like I said before, I really hope we pressure teams more and get out in transition as I think it'll work to our advantange and it's always exciting to see a team with big-time athletes get out in transition.

I definitely agree about the press, especially at home. Up until this year our full court press in the barn was incredibly effective and was something the opponent feared.

the press would be huge. just watched the gopher vs wisconsin game at madison where we were down 8 with like 5 to go and won in overtime. all thanks to the press.

Since I am pissed off about this season right now only Mbakwe starts
PG/SG Andre Hollins
SG/PG Julian Welch
SF Oto
PF Mbakwe
C Elliott

------------------

PG Maverick
SG Austin Hollins -- SG Coleman -- SG Chip
SF Rodney -- SF Halvorsen
PF Walker -- PF Dawson
C Ralph -- C Colton

the press would be huge. just watched the gopher vs wisconsin game at madison where we were down 8 with like 5 to go and won in overtime. all thanks to the press.

Haha, I just watched that game recently on Hulu as well. That press was a big time bother, we won numerous games that season with it, specifically at home. Without it, we're not nearly as powerful. Interestingly enough in that Becky game, didn't have a lot of PG play in that game with Nolen in and out, but we were able to overcome it cause Westbrook was a beast, just gettin clutch buckets. I was one of those who said, meh, we won't miss him THAT much, but boy we coulda used him a ton down the stretch here.

Haha, I just watched that game recently on Hulu as well. That press was a big time bother, we won numerous games that season with it, specifically at home. Without it, we're not nearly as powerful. Interestingly enough in that Becky game, didn't have a lot of PG play in that game with Nolen in and out, but we were able to overcome it cause Westbrook was a beast, just gettin clutch buckets. I was one of those who said, meh, we won't miss him THAT much, but boy we coulda used him a ton down the stretch here.

I was at that Badger game in a suite, surrounded by Badger fans. One of the best sporting events i've ever been to.

I was in the same boat regarding Westbrook. I thought he was selfish and a bit of a head case and thought we'd be ok without him. I really underestimated his competitiveness and his clutch play at the end of games. He was probably just as much of a loss as Damian.

Even if Welch signs we could use another guard who can handle and play the point.Rodney had been showing improvement until today.He should start.Mo's knee may take awhile.I think Coleman may start.There are a multitude of questions surrounding next year.But the Gophs will be better.I say tell Chip and Mav it's been real ,see you and bring in a shooter or at least someone with a specific skill.

PG/SG Andre Hollins
SG/PG Julian Welch
SF Oto
PF Mbakwe
C Elliott

------------------

PG Maverick
PF Walker -- PF Dawson
C Ralph -- C Colton

+1 but really I could care less right now, all those ineups look like seventh place

I realize Ralph and Colt were disappointing this year, but can you point out a deeper and better returning front court in the Big Ten? Trevor is probably the best returning big man in the Big Ten. Then you add in Ralph, Colt, Mo Walker, Eliot Eliason and you have a ton of size in the front court.

The back court and wings are going to be pretty in experienced but we've got a lot of them and they are very athletic. Welch, Hollins, Hollins, Chip, Coleman, Rodney should all be very good in the full court press and since we'll be so deep, Tubby will be able to press as much as he likes.

all that size doesn't mean a thing. just look at this year.

Welch? he isn't even on the team.

send chip to coach kill and get the kid some pads to play safety or corner.....loved westbrook, drove you crazy the entire game with bad shots and then did things like that. i thought (Devoe four letter word on this board) was very much the same type player and tubby never really like westbrook as a player because he drove you crazy...but he had a big head and always took the big shot whether it went in or not was a 40/60 question.

I think you guys underestimate the jump that a guy like Austin Hollins can make. If he can really solidify his body and his jump shooting this off-season, he can be a very nice player. He already brings it on the defensive end and can put it on the floor a little bit. He can be a nice two or three.

Apparently Rodney doesn't put the work in at the gym. Maybe he finally gets it; he can't get by on pure athleticism anymore and he is not a big man at this level. He needs to improve his game facing the basket. He needs to improve on the bounce and he needs to improve his jump shot. No question, no excuses. This year is critical for him. If he doesn't have it by next year, he can kiss the NBA goodbye, if he hasn't already, and start looking for Turkish league teams to play 8 minutes a night for.

Mbakwe can improve too. He has the ability to develop a 15 foot jump shot, he needs to do that. He currently only has one move on the low block, power up and go up into his man (usually to the left) looking for a foul. If he can develop a little jump hook (a la Kevin Love) that will open up his game. He basically averaged 14 points on deep seals and put backs exclusively. He could be scary with any sort of offensive arsenal.

Ralph is soft and I have no hope for him ever having a presence on the low-block, but he can hit a jumper. Maybe he can extend his range a few feet. He could work on foot speed too, as he is absolutely awful defending on the perimeter and we can not switch with him out there.

Colton, same problem as the day he stepped on campus. No touch, limited moves, no confidence, no jumper. Lots to improve.

Chip, gotta get better on defense. Work on his handle, tweak that jumpshot (get some backspin on that thing). He's got a lot of potential to be a great scorer on this level.

Maverick, he is what he is...slow, unspectacular PG who is a decent defender, below average shooter, below average handles, limited athleticism. If he can do one thing he can try to make himself a threat when they sag off him 5 feet. No one on defense respects him, they all dare him to do something. Rightfully so.

Walker- lots to like here, nice touch, wide body, looks like he has a jumper. How will his conditioning be coming off a knee injury? He's been on his ass for months now...

I can't comment on Oto, EE, Halvorsen, Coleman or Andre Hollins...who knows what they can bring.

My point is, these players are still developing and depending on how can do that...this team could be bottom of the barrel or a contender. What's scary is Mbakwe can still improve so much and he's already a beast. Second team All Big-Ten with no offensive game, that's crazy.

DD - solid post

the best part because many are already singing the praises of these players - "I can't comment on Oto, EE, Halvorsen, Coleman or Andre Hollins...who knows what they can bring."

I've given this a lot of thought and I keep coming to the same conclusion: This roster has a bunch of pieces that don't fit all that well together.

PG: Andre Hollins by default- We have to hope that Andre can become a PG, not an easy thing to do as a basketball player. We don't have another option here.

SG: Rodney Williams- I prefer him at the SF, but you'll see why I have him here. I don't think you can start Rodney AND Austin Hollins as there simply would be no outside shooting on the floor.

SF: Oto Osenieks by default- This is the only guy on the roster who has any potential to a be a knockdown shooter, so he has to start. If Oto is not the shooter he's been reported to be, the Gophers are in HUGE trouble.

PF: Trevor Mbakwe- I will asssume he comes back for this exercise, if not we have to move a C to PF again and we have seen how well that works.

C: Ralph Sampson: I think it's him or Mo Walker starting as long as we insist on having bigs handle the ball outside the paint. I hope he can rebound better as a Senior.

Reserves:

Austin Hollins- I like the way he plays the game, just has to be better with the ball in his hands
Mo Walker
Colton Iverson- Can't argue with Mo and Colton as reserve big men
Joe Coleman- Assuming he's the 4th guard, could play the 3 at times
Elliott Eliason- Not sure what his role is, if he plays, one of the other C's does not (4 C's on roster)
Chip Armelin
Maverick Ahanmisi- I am not sure either of the last two are back next year. I'd like to see Chip back, but he's got a long way to go to be an effective Big Ten player.

PG/SG Andre Hollins
SG/PG Julian Welch
SF Oto
PF Mbakwe
C Elliott

------------------

PG Maverick
PF Walker -- PF Dawson
C Ralph -- C Colton

I like that. Though JW is not a sg and not on this team. Didn't he say something like if the visit went well he would commit on the spot? He didn't commit.

Revising your theory:

Andre
Austin
Oto
Trevor
Big Mo

____

Mav can be the 3rd string pg next year and after that we need to cut him loose. I know GH's have Chip love... Joe is going to beat him out.

Top Bottom