Next Up - USD Coyotes

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
Obviously, the Coyotes are the easiest opponent we'll have this year. But keep in mind our past 5 games against FCS opponents:

2004 Illinois State W 37-21 (16 point victory)
2006 NDSU 10-9 (1 point victory)
2007 NDSU 21-27 (6 point loss) :cry:
2008 Montana State 35-23 (12 point victory)
2009 SDSU 16-13 (3 point victory)

I would call all 5 of those games anywhere from disappointing to unforgivable. In my opinion, it was the 2006 NDSU "victory" that really sealed Glen Mason's fate.

So now we'll have the South Dakota Coyotes coming into town. I don't know much about USD. Based on the little I do know, I don't think they are as good an FCS team as the past 5 we've faced. They play Central Florida on Saturday. UCF is likely an above-average non-AQ teams (in other words just a small drop off from MTSU), so I think we'll see how USD can play against a pretty good team on Saturday.

There shouldn't :rolleyes:be any question of whether we'll win on Sept. 11, the question is, what can the Gophers gain from this game?

I know everyone would like to see a 40+ score differential, but I'm not sure that eating up 46+ minutes of clock and seeing our RB's pile up 400 yards will necessarily help us prepare for USC.

Here's what I'd like to see out of the USD game:
  • Reaping the benefits of the good ground game by having successful play action passing.
  • Seeing our secendarily breaking up some passes.
  • Put some genuine pressure on their QB.
  • Just getting the young defense more real game experience (can they accomplish this when on the bench for 46 minutes? I guess its a good problem to have).
Is there anything to be gained from the USD game besides getting 1 game closer to bowl eligibility?

Is there anything to be gained from the USD game besides getting 1 game closer to bowl eligibility?

Even though I know it won't happen, I'd like to see us get up 28-0 after the 1st quarter, and see Brewster let MarQueis take every snap the last 3 quarters.

Thanks...

...good preview.

I'd like to see the ht and wt of their D line.

What kind of O do they run?

I too would like to see better play action. I bet we'll be vanilla except for trying a couple new things.

They will open the playbook up against USC...I bet.

GM

Beat the 'yotes!

I am well aware of our less-than-stellar history with those FCS schools. Plus, I know VERY LITTLE about the Coyotes. But, with all that said, I have a feeling this will finally be the game where the Gophers put the stomp on an inferior FCS team. I think it will be a laugher.

Preview from Central Florida Web Site Preview of their game vs. USD

Sept. 3, 2010

Read John Denton's Knights Insider | Follow us on Twitter | Get social with the Knights on Facebook

By Josh Molino
UCFAthletics.com

South Dakota at UCF presented by Holler-Classic Automotive Group

Saturday, Sept. 4 - Bright House Networks Stadium - 6 p.m.

Tickets: Season tickets for UCF's 2010 football campaign at Bright House Networks Stadium are currently available by calling the UCF Athletics Ticket Office at 407-UCF-1000 or logging on to UCFAthletics.com.

TV: None

Radio: UCF ISP Sports Radio Network- Marc Daniels (play-by-play), Mike Gruttadauria (color), Jerry O'Neill (sideline reporter), Scott Adams (reporter)

WYGM 740AM - Orlando, WMMV 1350AM Cocoa, WDCF 1350AM - Dade City, WROD 1340AM - Daytona Beach, WMMB 1240AM - Melbourne, WLVJ 1040AM/WKAT 1360 AM - Miami, Fort Lauderdale, South Palm Beach, WPSL 1590AM - Treasure Coast/North Palm Beach, WZHR 1400AM - Zephyrhills

Internet: Live audio/video and statistics at UCFAthletics.com

UCF Game Notes
Gameday Information
Fan Faire Events

When UCF (0-0) has the ball
The Knights return eight starters from last season including preseason All- Conference USA lineman senior Jah Reid. Junior quarterback Rob Calabrese is looking for his second-consecutive opening day victory at Bright House Networks Stadium. Senior receiver Kamar Aiken needs 62 yards receiving to reach the 1,500 career yards mark. Junior receiver A.J. Guyton looks to improve on his team leading 44 receptions from 2009. Expect to see a backfield by committee, including two returning sophomores in Jonathan Davis and Brendan Kelly, and Iowa transfer Jeff Brinson. The Coyotes return five starters on defense including a pair of junior linebackers, Shea Williams and leading tackler Adam Broders.

When South Dakota (0-0) has the ball
The Coyotes are coming off a 5-5 season and return seven starters on offense. The right side of the line returns in right guard Brent Johnson and right tackle Tom Compton. Two- year starter London Landry will be a big target at tight end again this season for junior quarterback Dante Warren. After averaging 82.8 yards on the ground last year junior running back Chris Ganious looks to improve from a season ago. Leading receiver Tom Flanagan returns to help guide an inexperienced receiving corps. The Knights look to improve on an already elite run stop, as UCF ranked fourth in the nation last season at 82.8 yards allowed. Leading the way is Preseason All-America defensive end Bruce Miller who is the active career leader in sacks and tackles for loss in FBS. Miller was also given the honor as preseason defensive player of the year for Conference USA. The secondary is led by sophomore Josh Robinson who also gained preseason honors on the All-C-USA team at cornerback.

Did you know?
This will serve as the first ever meeting between the Knights and Coyotes...This will be the 350th game in UCF football history... The Knights are 19-12 in season openers and have won four in a row... Since 1996 UCF is 17-0 against FCS opponents...The Knights are 14-6 all-time at Bright House Networks Stadium and 2-1 on opening day.

I would like to see the defense build-upon last night. See them get a more pressure on the qb (I know it was hard to do last night with the quick 3-5 step drops. i want to see if we can get any against a more traditional offense), tackle better and see the safties getting to the ball quicker (they were a step slow last night but I think that was more of a lack of experience thing than a talent thing).

I'm hoping they spend some extra time working on tackling, last night's performance was less than desirable.

Hopefully we can get a little more pressure on the qb and build an early lead so Gray can play some qb.

Looking forward to the 2010 home opener!

We cannot take anyone lightly. This is the home opener, and emotion will be sky high. Does it translate to a blow out, or is it emotionally draining, our helmets don't fit and we struggle? The offense again must carry the day, control the tempo, clock and pound the rock. That is who we are.

As it was noted, improvement in the defense would be a goal.

Second, yes it should be a game we get up by 4 scores and Mr. Gray gets some extended playing time. Certainly, he can pivot and hand it to Kirkwood. We could see if Mr. Cotten can block, can he run the trap play.

And it would be interesting how they sub the offesive line. I prefer subbing a player into the starting lineup. Is Orton the first off the bench for say Carufel? Or would they try Michel for Wills? Or Wynn for Burris? I am not a fan of a wholesale change in the line.

Also remember game tape, tendencies, play sequences are studied by opponents. As you play you are not only attempting to win, but also have a plan as how you want to develop your play book.

USD is a 2nd class 1-AA team. Central Florida will punish them this weekend and the Gophers should do the same next weekend. No reason that Minnesota doesn't put the Coyotes away early so some of the younger players can get time under their belt.

Here! Here!

USD is a 2nd class 1-AA team. Central Florida will punish them this weekend and the Gophers should do the same next weekend. No reason that Minnesota doesn't put the Coyotes away early so some of the younger players can get time under their belt.

Since the all-time series record between SDSU vs South Dakota 47-50-7 (from your own 2008 media guide), this doesn't say much for your Jacks either. :D Yes, I am a USD alum.

A blowout is almost certain. Idaho blew out North Dakota 45-0 and we are better than Idaho and South Dakota is worse than UND. I'd say we win by more than 50 points and we could probably win by 60 plus but we will probably put in reserves for the final quarter.

Mostly I just want to see some confidence built and the two and three deeps work in seamlessly. Better rhythm in the passing game would be nice as well.

Gophers will crush the Coyotes

and no, I didn't say this about SDSU last year or UND before that.
The Vermillion team is a below average 1AA team this year, I fully expect the Gophers to win by 20 easily, probably by 30 or 40+. The Yotes have a young secondary but I still expect them to load the box and try to make the Gophers throw (they watched the MTSU game too), although I doubt the Gophers will really be forced to throw. But this would be the chance for Weber to connect to ALL of his receivers and try to work out some kinks. I would love the Gophers to come out throwing like crazy in this game. Even if a throw-happy plan doesn't work for the first half (or even first 3 quarters) the Gophers will still win this game. Might as well air it out.

Since the all-time series record between SDSU vs South Dakota 47-50-7 (from your own 2008 media guide), this doesn't say much for your Jacks either. :D Yes, I am a USD alum.

Have you missed the Jacks the last number of years? Apparently you missed that they made the 1-AA playoffs last year. USD will need all their luck against Central Florida tonight...and the Gophers next weekend. Could be an ugly year...

What I want to see:

More rotation on offense than defense. I think the staff has a better grip on the players and their abilities on the offensive side of the ball, but with significant turnover on the line next year, I would like to see some RS linemen work in there.

The defense has speed, talent and a mean streak, but they are seriously lacking in game-time experience. I would like to see the D backfield in the game longer than necessary if only to give them more real game experience in getting their reads right. That being said, I think that during the year it will be necessary for the D line and linebackers to rotate to keep fresh and they should work on their expected rotation.

I saw that Shane Potter led USD with 16 tackles as a DB today against Central Florida who ran for big numbers. Should be another week of rushing for big numbers.

The USD vrs SDSU used to be a good game but after they both went to D-1 they started separating for the better of SDSU...The coyotes are not good and should be a 30+ point victory.

We should use this as a scrimmage type game to work on polishing things off for the 1st half and part of the 3rd. With any luck we should be in easy control and then and only then let everyone not redshirting play.

Top Bottom