News, Notes, Tid-Bits and Quotes: Cobb's Career Day Provides Enough Offense

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
News, Notes, Tid-Bits and Quotes: Cobb's Career Day Provides Enough Offense for 35-24 Victory
By Grant Erickson and Travis Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/417209?referrer_id=388419

After a dominant first half, the Gophers struggled in the second against Middle Tennessee State but were able to improve to 2-0 on the season with a 35-24 victory. David Cobb led the way with 220 rushing yards while the defense was able to force three interceptions including a pick-six by Jalen Myrick.

Cobb Dominant

Coming into the season, the Gophers had a stable of running backs to choose from but David Cobb stood out as the obvious top dog. Saturday proved his ability as the senior racked up 220 yards and two touchdowns on 29 carries.

“He’s a good football player,” said Jerry Kill. “We played the other backs some, but it’s hard to take him off the field when he gets hot. He ran very well today. …He had an excellent game, and we need him to continue to do that.”

Cobb is still improving on his 2013 campaign with great work this offseason. He showcased an extra gear against the Blue Raiders, racing through the defense on a 48-yard score in the third quarter.

“It’s a commitment to the offseason,” Cobb explained. “Learning your body, getting on a better diet, getting in the weight room. Shedding a couple pounds of fat and putting on some muscle. Working in the offseason with your strength coach. He’s done a great job with all of us. Hats off to the coaches and strength staff.”

Along with Cobb’s improvement, the run blocking seemed to click on Saturday, opening up a number of big holes for Cobb to run through.

“The receivers, tight ends, and everyone was coming in and throwing their heads in for a block—and not just one, but getting two and three downfield,” said Cobb. “When they do it like that, the holes open up and everything’s easy.”

Leidner Hurt

Despite the win, it wasn’t the most joyous mood postgame due to starting quarterback Mitch Leidner going down late in the game with an apparent injury.

“I am concerned and I don’t know anything,” said Kill of the injury. “We’re taking him to get an MRI and that’s all I know right now.”

Leidner was hurt after taking a hit in the fourth.

“He just stepped into a throw and got hit,” said Kill. “The offensive lineman got pushed back. That’s what I seen, I’ll have to see it on film. He limped off the field and I know how tough of a kid he was so we’ll have to see.”

If Leidner can’t go against TCU, redshirt freshman Chris Streveler will be under center for the Gophers, something Kill is comfortable with.

“We’ll approach it and see what the situation is next week and whoever it may be, we’ll set the game plan and go,” said Kill. “It’s one of those deals that you need to put the next one in and he’ll play well. If that’s the case, I hope that’s not the case. That’s nothing against Chris but you don’t want anybody to get injured.”

Turnovers a Key

Three times in the game, Minnesota was able to force quarterback Austin Grammer into an interception. The highlight was a pick-six by Myrick that sent TCF Bank Stadium into a frenzy.

“Jalen is a very good football player for a young a guy,” said Kill. “He can really run and made a good pick. Read the quarterback’s eyes and did a nice job. That was a big play in the game.”

Linebacker Damien Wilson has been solid in the first two games. Against the Blue Raiders he recorded 14 tackles, a sack, and a huge interception in the second quarter to set up a Maxx Williams touchdown.

“I saw (Theiren Cockran) get some good pressure up the middle,” said Wilson of his pick. “He swatted the ball and I was just in the right spot at the right time and I took advantage of it.”

Rough Second Half

At halftime, the Gophers led 28-0 but were outscored 24-7 in the second. The Blue Raiders were able to pile up big gains but never seemed to be in striking distance of the Maroon and Gold.

“Coming out in the second half, being up like we were, we just didn’t come out with a lot of zip and they found momentum,” said Kill.

Going forward, Minnesota knows that they will need to play a full game if they want to stay unbeaten.

“I’d say [we’re] more eager to play next week to show what we really are and capable of doing,” Myrick said. “I say that because, this showing in the second half, is the second time we’ve done that. We can’t make this an on-going process of giving up points in the second half and shutting people out in the first half. Let’s just go ahead and play a full game. Win the game and finish the game strong.”

By the Numbers

(220) On Saturday, David Cobb set a new career high with 220 yards on the ground. This was the most rushing yards since Lawrence Maroney put up 258 on Wisconsin in 2005.

(0) For the second week in a row, the Gophers did not allow a point in the first half. Obviously the defense struggled in the second half but two great starts by the defense have taken the pressure of the Minnesota offense.

(4) True freshman linebacker, Jonathan Celestin, saw a good amount of time late in the game and recorded four solo tackles, one of which was for a loss. Celestin looked great wrapping up in the open field and could see increased snaps if he continues to play well.

This is impressive: (220) On Saturday, David Cobb set a new career high with 220 yards on the ground. This was the most rushing yards since Lawrence Maroney put up 258 on Wisconsin in 2005.

Top Bottom