News Gazette in Champaign: In the grand scheme of things ... Minnesota could be beat

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the News Gazette:

— Next up for the Illini, a homecoming date with Minnesota. The Gophers are 6-1 and receiving votes in the national polls.
But Minnesota looked very beatable on Saturday, needing a long field goal to edge Purdue by a point.
Jerry Kill features a top-notch running game led by David Cobb. But it is a one-dimensional offense, which should give Illinois players and coaches some hope.

And Minnesota’s defense gave up 450 yards to the Boilermakers. The Gophers will spend the week preparing for two Illinois quarterbacks. Play like he did in the fourth quarter against Wisconsin and Aaron Bailey is capable of huge numbers. Maybe 200 yards throwing and another 100 on the ground. With four touchdowns. You read it here first.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...nd-scheme-things-minnesota-could-be-beat.html

Go Gophers!!

Sure, the first half was a defensive nightmare thanks in part to some zebras milling around out on the field and getting in the way. However, the D limited the same offense to seven points in the second half. Something tells me that next week will be bad timing for Illinois to go against our D.

I also see our offense getting more balanced and gaining confidence which will serve us well down the backstretch. Injuries and mindless zebras are about the only things that could stop us next week.

Man, it didn't take long this week for one of our opponent's media outlets to say we can't pass.

It's funny that they think because we played close with Purdue that they have a chance.

You guys already got spanked by Purdue. I guess whatever makes them feel better.

Although I have to give them credit for not kicking the Illini while they're down. I can't say that Zulgad and Souhan would do the same.

We match up way better against Illinois than we do against Purdue, nevermind that Purdue is a much better team than the Illini. I didn't think we'd win big this past weekend, but do think we'll beat Illinois pretty good.

They should have hope, an I hope we realize that enough to jump on them early and not let them start believing.

So Aaron Bailey is going off for 300 total yds and 4 TDs? Can I call this guy up and take that bet?

Is this the same brainiac who thinks Illinois is going to swoop in and convince Jerry Kill to come fix their mess of a football program?

I'm too lazy to look it up.

I wouldn't overlook Illinois but I wouldn't be too worried either. They pump their chests about a big 4th qtr against Wisconsin when Wiscy was up 31-14 in the 4th with no fear of letting up...

*Beaten

I continue to be amazed at the lack of writing ability seemingly endemic among those who are ostensibly paid for their writing ability.

One thing to watch out for is Illinois QB Aaron Bailey. He is a dual threat guy, and Beckman burned his redshirt in garbage time against Wisconsin.

In the grander scheme of things , the Illini will most likely go winless in the Big Ten.

This could be another marker for how much the program has changed under Kill. In the bad old days, the Gophs had at least one game every year where they laid a complete egg against a team they were favored to beat. I would love to see the Gophs go out and just stomp Illinois - a real no-doubt butt-kicking, so I don't have to spend the 4th quarter squirming and pacing and swearing.

This could be another marker for how much the program has changed under Kill. In the bad old days, the Gophs had at least one game every year where they laid a complete egg against a team they were favored to beat. I would love to see the Gophs go out and just stomp Illinois - a real no-doubt butt-kicking, so I don't have to spend the 4th quarter squirming and pacing and swearing and drinking myself into oblivion.

FIFY!

Doc - not to get too serious here, but I'm a recovering alcoholic. Instead of nervous drinking, now I do nervous eating- so if it's a close game, I'm running to the kitchen during every time out. After Saturday, I'm out of cookies and peanut butter - but I do have some ice cream left......

*Beaten

I continue to be amazed at the lack of writing ability seemingly endemic among those who are ostensibly paid for their writing ability.

They could be beat as well, as long as they stand still and take it.

*Beaten

could you explain why you suggest this?

Maybe it's because I'm a middle-aged Scandinavian who was raised in just about the most emotionally-repressed, allergic-to-joy household in the history of mankind (making the sources of my problem both genetic and environmental), but I still think the Gophers are a team that has to play well to win. We just can't mail it in and expect our athleticism to overcome a lack of ardor. Kill has said as much.

I think we win in Champaign. Maybe convincingly. But we can't be as sloppy as we were against Purdue. I love Claeys and I think he learned that teams are now figuring out how to counter-punch our aggressiveness on defense. He showed an ability to adjust (as did Limegrover in opening up the playbook a bit) and that is going to be key. We're still a lunch-bucket team and I love that about us, but we have to play well to win comfortably.

Top Bottom