New Year's Day

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
So the Gophers could play in the Rose Bowl and still not play on New Year's Day? NFL full schedule on the 1st.

January 2012
Jan. 2 - Rose Bowl (Pasadena)
Jan. 2 or 3 - Sugar Bowl (New Orleans)
Jan. 3 or 4 - Orange Bowl (Miami)
Jan. 4 or 5 - Fiesta Bowl (Glendale, Ariz.)
Jan. 9 - National Championship Game (New Orleans)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

So the Gophers could play in the Rose Bowl and still not play on New Year's Day? NFL full schedule on the 1st.

January 2012
Jan. 2 - Rose Bowl (Pasadena)
Jan. 2 or 3 - Sugar Bowl (New Orleans)
Jan. 3 or 4 - Orange Bowl (Miami)
Jan. 4 or 5 - Fiesta Bowl (Glendale, Ariz.)
Jan. 9 - National Championship Game (New Orleans)

Funny you mention this, because I made a Facebook status post about the Packers playing on 3 holidays, and this was by far, the funniest (yet cruelest) comment I received:

This is a very big deal for you Ms. Babu, one of your teams playing a football game on New Year's Day.

The truth does hurt!

Weird schedule with Christmas and NYD on Sunday. Lions are playing on MNF this year, Vikes and Packers play each other twice within a month's time with each team having a bye in between.

This happens every 5-6 years or so, and has and will. 1989, 1995, 2006, 2012, 2017, 2023. Would have happened in 2000, but there was a quirk in that leap year and the calendar skipped ahead. There are only 13 different annual calendars, and two have NYD on Sunday.

I think we've managed in the past and will in the future.

This is great news!! This means when the Gophers make the Rose Bowl, I'll be able to ring in the New Year, get a full day of rest and get a good night sleep before getting up early so I can get a good seat for the Rose Bowl parade. :D

Doesn't the BT have two additional NY day bowls that we didn't have the previous years? Playing on NY Day isn't what it used to be except for the top 3 BT affiliated bowls.

Man. I hate this. For the last three years I have a tradition of waking up New Years Day, and stumbling hungover (and probably still a little drunk) down the street to the nearest sports bar, and watching all of the Big Ten bowl games. Racking up a hell of a bar tab in the process.

This messes up my plan. I suppose it hadn't occurred to me since I've only become a die-hard college football fan in the last five years.

Top Bottom