New Walk-On Commit

You've got to love the walk-ons. Welcome aboard!

I always find myself pulling very hard for walk on players, especially when they give up scholarships at other schools to play for the U. Welcome aboard Ben.

I always find myself pulling very hard for walk on players, especially when they give up scholarships at other schools to play for the U. Welcome aboard Ben.

Do you happen to know where he had schollie offers from? I've found some references to him getting a D-1 offer, doesn't say where.

I believe he has scholarship offers to play division 1 football at several FCS schools including Northern Iowa, North Dakota and one of the Illinois FCS schools. Kids like Ben usually require a little more time to develope but it is totally possible that he becomes a very lagitamate BIG football player. So many times kids in the upper Mid-West are late bloomers (for many reasons) that if Kill can capitilize on getting several quality walk ons each year it will pay big dividends for our program. There are many examples of lower ranked virtually unknown kids over the years who excell at the U and Iowa etc. that I believe it is truly worth our coaching staffs time to look for these diamonds in the rough. I know I know I know they are the exception...........if Erick Decker was not offered a scholarship to play for the U he was going to play division 3 football at St. Johns, think bout that for moment.

His rivals page only has FCS offers (Illinois St., North Dakota,N. Iowa)

I think he ends up on the defensive side of the ball. He looks like a good HS WR. Defensively, he's more impressive. He reminds me quit a bit of Frank Veldman, a kid we offered a WO to last season but chose North Dakota St.

This kid is a pretty big kid, 6'4" 200lbs, after he gets in a college weight program, he could end up at a variety of different positions.

Welcome aboard!

His rivals page only has FCS offers (Illinois St., North Dakota,N. Iowa)

I think he ends up on the defensive side of the ball. He looks like a good HS WR. Defensively, he's more impressive. He reminds me quit a bit of Frank Veldman, a kid we offered a WO to last season but chose North Dakota St.

This kid is a pretty big kid, 6'4" 200lbs, after he gets in a college weight program, he could end up at a variety of different positions.

Welcome aboard!

As big as he is, I didn't think he looked all that physical on d, especially playing safety, but I just watched the highlights from the one game (posted earlier). That's why TE came to my mind.

He certainly has a "nose" for the ball.

Excellent tackling skills, good hands & ball awareness and can lay the lumber.

It would be nice to have a 6-4 220 lb safety. Reminds me of NU'S All BIG Safety Brian Peters.

This kid could be a sleeper.

Reminds me of a young Randy Moss! Welcome Ben.

Whenever we can get a kid to turn down scholarships to walk-on, that's a win in my book. He certainly doesn't shy away from contact, which means he could at the least be a special teams contributor.

Also, not that it's a reflection of Ben, but holy crap there is some awful QB play on that film. I've never heard of the North Shore Conference before or any of its schools, but that's some fugly offense.

Whenever we can get a kid to turn down scholarships to walk-on, that's a win in my book. He certainly doesn't shy away from contact, which means he could at the least be a special teams contributor.

Also, not that it's a reflection of Ben, but holy crap there is some awful QB play on that film. I've never heard of the North Shore Conference before or any of its schools, but that's some fugly offense.

Yeah, the QB wasn't too impressive, but I think conference is a pretty decent WI conference. It's suburban Milwaukee. They are pretty decent sized schools too.

In HS, QB play can be pretty hit or miss. The Eden Praire QB was a winner and did a lot of good things, but he his arm was about as impressive as the kid's in that film.

By looks of highlight he should be walk on. Credit to him for turning down schollie to help M. The Kid from Holy Angels (Brett Pierce) is 6'-5" unreal athlete and they have asked him to do the same. Pierce has 6 Di offers including a D1 BCS. Starting goalie on AHA hockey team Jr, Sr year.
I no he had official with NDSU this weekend, looks like the kind of kid the M has been missing on for years.
www.hudl.com/athlete/451266/Brett-pierce

Hopefully Pierce takes the walk on offer. Kids FBS offers almost never accept a walk on position. Rallis chose to walk on at the U over a Wyoming offer, so it does happen.

That said, I don't think Pierce has a BCS offer.

Its hard to pass up a scholarship. I don't know how well off his family is and if they are in a position to pay for his education. That being said, I really hope he walks on.

From the highlight tape - that kid tackles hard.

I just watched the second half of highlight tape it's his O play, looks like TE. This guy can really get after people.

Top Bottom