New Volleyball Coaching Staff

I'll talk about it as much or as little as I please. Particularly on the thread titled "New volleyball coaching staff". Indeed, it is the off-season.

You might have reason to gripe if I was doing this on threads talking about the team during spring practice/scrimmages, but you won't find me doing that.

And yes, none of us knows the circumstances for why he isn't on the coaching staff any more. You don't know, either.

Did you guys hear that volleyball can now have 3 full time paid assistant coaches starting this summer? I wonder if Munoz will end up being a paid assistant coach instead of volunteer? Or we bring in another assistant coach? Think the MN athletic dept will fork out for the money for it?

Did you guys hear that volleyball can now have 3 full time paid assistant coaches starting this summer? I wonder if Munoz will end up being a paid assistant coach instead of volunteer? Or we bring in another assistant coach? Think the MN athletic dept will fork out for the money for it?
Isn't that still to be voted on? But is expected to pass, I believe.

And yes, it isn't a requirement.

I don't put it beyond Coyle to cheap out.

Isn't that still to be voted on? But is expected to pass, I believe.

And yes, it isn't a requirement.

I don't put it beyond Coyle to cheap out.
I can't speak for what Coyle will do. However, if he wants to keep MN a top VB program and a destination for highly sought after recruits, I think he will fund the volunteer coaches.

In my younger life, as I was seeking a career, I always found it interesting how businesses wanted someone with "experience". Unfortunately, if you didn't bring that to the table, you more or less were over looked. So, I have always said to myself "how does one get that experience, if a business is not willing to hire you?"

Two questions and whoever can answer that would be wonderful.

1- Are the Club coaches in MN paid for their services?

2 - Can anyone speak about MN coaching at the High School/Grade School levels? Are they strictly volunteer or are they paid positions?

In my younger life, as I was seeking a career, I always found it interesting how businesses wanted someone with "experience". Unfortunately, if you didn't bring that to the table, you more or less were over looked. So, I have always said to myself "how does one get that experience, if a business is not willing to hire you?"

Two questions and whoever can answer that would be wonderful.

1- Are the Club coaches in MN paid for their services?

2 - Can anyone speak about MN coaching at the High School/Grade School levels? Are they strictly volunteer or are they paid positions?
Club volleyball is $$$$. 100% a business.

I find it interesting that the assumption is that Pedro is solely responsible for Carter's improvement. Especially since I'm willing to bet none of us witnessed any of the day-to-day coaching at the U.

I find it interesting that the assumption is that Pedro is solely responsible for Carter's improvement. Especially since I'm willing to bet none of us witnessed any of the day-to-day coaching at the U.
Perhaps many of us are assuming that, because we saw an improvement with Booth's game from beginning of the season to the end. Also, you must admit the Gopher Middle Game was just not playing a role in our matches until this past season. Coaching wise Pedro was the only difference.

I guess we can can say Husemann's game did not improve significantly and she ended up being benched for Davis and/or Gros who were transferred in. IDK, can we honestly say who is responsible?

Isn't it known that he worked with middles?

I know at multiple times I saw them talking to him on the sidelines.

Perhaps many of us are assuming that, because we saw an improvement with Booth's game from beginning of the season to the end. Also, you must admit the Gopher Middle Game was just not playing a role in our matches until this past season. Coaching wise Pedro was the only difference.

I guess we can can say Husemann's game did not improve significantly and she ended up being benched for Davis and/or Gros who were transferred in. IDK, can we honestly say who is responsible?
I really think Gros and/or Davis were not at full health early in the season.

Nothing else really explains Husemann starting, early on. I have nothing against her in the slightest. She stuck with the program and gave it her all. She was just always limited athletically, hence she was a walk-on.

If anybody knows exactly what position(s) our new volleyball coaching staff is over AS INDIVIDUALS, I would love to know.

I am aware that Kristen Kelsay is known for recruiting. I thought I read she would be over the setters. Otherwise, I have not read anything on our entire coaching staff including KCook himself.

I think it's a mistake to assume coaches (in this case Kelsay, Barber, Cook and Munoz) specialize. Sure, there may be a focus, but I would bet there's a lot of overlap. Which is part of the reason I don't understand why ALL credit for the middles is being thrown at Mendes. I would also assume that if he was solely responsible for Booth's improvement that Booth would not have left (unless she knew he was not staying).

I think it's a mistake to assume coaches (in this case Kelsay, Barber, Cook and Munoz) specialize. Sure, there may be a focus, but I would bet there's a lot of overlap. Which is part of the reason I don't understand why ALL credit for the middles is being thrown at Mendes. I would also assume that if he was solely responsible for Booth's improvement that Booth would not have left (unless she knew he was not staying).
LOL

She left because she thinks she can win a natty at Wisc. Guess she thinks she's good to go and doesn't need further development.

Should've won a national title in Minneapolis in 2018.

Biggest choke job in modern college volleyball.
We did lose to them earlier in the season. After that we still had Nebraska and that fearsome four from Stanford.

We did lose to them earlier in the season. After that we still had Nebraska and that fearsome four from Stanford.
Early season tournament doesn't mean anything. And we beat Nebraska twice in the regular season, would've beaten them again. Swept Illinois in the regular season in the one match, would've beaten them again.

Stanford of course would've been another story.

But we absolutely should have made the championship game. Then with a home crowd, sold out. You never know.

Yep, he was obviously not at all interested in staying in college volleyball. Probably wanted out of Minneapolis badly, since that's where his fiance lives and is based out of. Having to move to Chicago will make things easy.

Great job Coach Cook. :cautious:

Well I will find it very interesting this upcoming season to see who has the best Middle Game between Wisconsin, Northwestern and Minnesota with all the ex Gopher ties. I am counting on an improvement in Shaff's middle connection with the addition of Murr.

This Coaching Staff is quietly filling our needs....keep them coming!

I am counting on an improvement in Shaff's middle connection with the addition of Murr.
Has never been consistently able to do a traditional quick middle set since she has been a Gopher. No matter the quality of passing.

I hope they just go to high-ball 2 middle sets, with how athletic we are at the position. Put the ball up and let them go get it.

Better than a crappy quick middle set into your armpit and having to shot put the ball over the net.

Has never been consistently able to do a traditional quick middle set since she has been a Gopher. No matter the quality of passing.

I hope they just go to high-ball 2 middle sets, with how athletic we are at the position. Put the ball up and let them go get it.

Better than a crappy quick middle set into your armpit and having to shot put the ball over the net.
Agree...Perhaps that is why the previous and present coaching staffs have gone out to get these Athletic Middles. Shaff's entire game outsiide of setting is some of the "best" in the NCAA.

The same held true with SS. That's why I would like to see them bring in another RS player who can go up there and get the ball. If not Weske, then surprise me. We did not have that last season. Unfortunately, the RS production from the previous year was pretty low. We need that to get much better this upcoming season.

I read a lot of posts especially on VT and not sure why there is some obsession with Elise playing DS. What I remember from her game, she didn't necessarily blow me away with her digging skills. We need a SOLID DS to add to this team. In the past we have had a setter switch to DS and was very successful.....but I don't see that happening with Elise.

Agree...Perhaps that is why the previous and present coaching staffs have gone out to get these Athletic Middles. Shaff's entire game outsiide of setting is some of the "best" in the NCAA.

The same held true with SS. That's why I would like to see them bring in another RS player who can go up there and get the ball. If not Weske, then surprise me. We did not have that last season. Unfortunately, the RS production from the previous year was pretty low. We need that to get much better this upcoming season.

I read a lot of posts especially on VT and not sure why there is some obsession with Elise playing DS. What I remember from her game, she didn't necessarily blow me away with her digging skills. We need a SOLID DS to add to this team. In the past we have had a setter switch to DS and was very successful.....but I don't see that happening with Elise.

Judging from this:
Maybe Minatee could play RS in a pinch. 😲

Judging from this:
Maybe Minatee could play RS in a pinch. 😲
The middles start on the right side in the receiving formation of the last rotation they're in the front.

In higher level volleyball, I think usually more for men's, the middle still runs around to the front of the setter, which leaves open the back-row backset to the usual RS.

Don't recall the norm in women's college volleyball. Guessing the middle stays to hit the right side at the net, like in this video.

Watching this New Coaching Staff with their established volleyball coaching careers and connections has left me saying"KEEP IT UP". I know some wanted the Houks to stay but IMO the right coach has been hired who will maintain this program in the top ten next season while moving forward.

Also a Big Thank You to those players who have stayed and believe that they have something very special here with this Gopher Volleyball Program. Lastly I am going to add....JW you will be missed!

Last edited:

If interested, I came upon this - Matt Houk's Press Conference on his new coaching position.

If interested, I came upon this - Matt Houk's Press Conference on his new coaching position.

MSU is definitely a lateral move from U of South Dakota.

Wonder how they feel that they couldn't get a HC spot at a larger program?

Top Bottom