New Student Ticket Packages

Reaction score
Just received an e-mail about buying next years season tickets, looks like they are being very proactive about having high numbers this year.

Gold Package: $250 for football, basketball, and hockey tickets.
Maroon Package: $163 for football and basketball or hockey tickets (will be most popular in my opinion).

Football: $84 (lowered from last year)
Basketball: $99
Hockey: $99

I think this will raise numbers for football with rising optimism and lower prices, everyone I have talked to are going for the Maroon Package so far.

The packages are really good deals. I'd be on that Maroon package like Oprah on a baked ham if I were still a student

Can I ask for back-refund from my days as a football, basketball & both night hockey season ticket holder during my time?

Kidding aside, I like it. I agree that the maroon will be the most popular. It does take some time to hit up both basketball & hockey all season long. Both packages are nice deals & offer a nice incentive.

Next order of business; allow students to be able to pay a "seat license" to have a permanent seat location instead of general admission & allow it to be counted for lifetime giving to the department. :)

The packages are really good deals. I'd be on that Maroon package like Oprah on a baked ham if I were still a student

It's only a $20 discount from the separate season tickets, not really a great deal, but should still be a nice option.

It's only a $20 discount from the separate season tickets, not really a great deal, but should still be a nice option.

Eh, 10% discount, plus cheaper tickets in general. How much were football tickets for students last year? For some reason I remember $99 but it might've been $90.

Eh, 10% discount, plus cheaper tickets in general. How much were football tickets for students last year? For some reason I remember $99 but it might've been $90.

They were like 85 or so with a 7 dollar service charge. I want to say it was low 90s.

I'm jumping on the maroon package for football and basketball. I don't anticipate hockey to be quite as popular this year with the new conference and worse team so I anticipate ill be able to get single game tickets for the games I want.

Hello Minnesota, we have a problem! Me thinks the powers to be finally understand that and are taking reasonable steps to help address the problem; designated tailgate lot for students, reduced season tickets, meeting with student groups for input, etc.

Even offering freebies won't solve the problem

They thought that TCF would solve their problems, or at least give them some time to develop a winning team. Found out in the first year that many students only bought tickets to sell them for a profit and when they found out they couldn't, they quit buying them and/or quit going to games. Then they found out that the general public, why they liked TCF, they didn't love it. It paled, quite rightly, in comparison to Target Field witch the public loved.

The public wanted to see a winning or at least a competitive team. They had that for only one year under Brewster. Kill isn't there yet either, so more power to the U for trying to "up the ante" on the Game Day experience. $12 a game for Football, $7 or so for a combined Football/Basketball tickets? Pretty good to darn good.

Now, if they can just get this "winning" thing going.

Just received an e-mail about buying next years season tickets, looks like they are being very proactive about having high numbers this year.

Gold Package: $250 for football, basketball, and hockey tickets.
Maroon Package: $163 for football and basketball or hockey tickets (will be most popular in my opinion).

Football: $84 (lowered from last year)
Basketball: $99
Hockey: $99

I think this will raise numbers for football with rising optimism and lower prices, everyone I have talked to are going for the Maroon Package so far.

Here is a link to all the information on www.mygophersports.com. Looks like there are some pretty good deals for U of M students, especially for football.

https://www.mygophersports.com/stud...dium=trending&utm_campaign=StudentTickets2013

$100 for puck tickets????? I paid like $250 for mine for one night a weekend!

They thought that TCF would solve their problems, or at least give them some time to develop a winning team. Found out in the first year that many students only bought tickets to sell them for a profit and when they found out they couldn't, they quit buying them and/or quit going to games. Then they found out that the general public, why they liked TCF, they didn't love it. It paled, quite rightly, in comparison to Target Field witch the public loved.

The public wanted to see a winning or at least a competitive team. They had that for only one year under Brewster. Kill isn't there yet either, so more power to the U for trying to "up the ante" on the Game Day experience. $12 a game for Football, $7 or so for a combined Football/Basketball tickets? Pretty good to darn good.

Now, if they can just get this "winning" thing going.

- I can't imagine how anyone could say that TCF offers a substantially lower gameday experience than Target Field. Target Field has a great selection of food and beer. TCF has a great selection of food (slightly less upscale), and now beer. There are no bad seats in TCF. Both are outdoor venues that have games in great weather and some in not so great weather. Both have great architecture that are unique to their institutions. Both address the city of Minneapolis gorgeously. Both have amazing video boards. Been to many games at both and can say I am not a bigger fan of either.

- I'd say Brewster's one year with 7 wins was no better than last year with Kill. Brewster also never beat a rival, while Kill has.

- I can't imagine how anyone could say that TCF offers a substantially lower gameday experience than Target Field. Target Field has a great selection of food and beer. TCF has a great selection of food (slightly less upscale), and now beer. There are no bad seats in TCF. Both are outdoor venues that have games in great weather and some in not so great weather. Both have great architecture that are unique to their institutions. Both address the city of Minneapolis gorgeously. Both have amazing video boards. Been to many games at both and can say I am not a bigger fan of either.

- I'd say Brewster's one year with 7 wins was no better than last year with Kill. Brewster also never beat a rival, while Kill has.

One - Many people feel that Target Field offers a better experience and for the price difference it should. Felt irritated when so many people made the unfavorable and unfair comparison after Target Field opened. Spent a lot of time pointing it out to people. You didn't hear any of that? Good for you.

Two - Brewster's 7 Win year? That was in 2008, at the Dome. The post was about 2009 the first year at TCF. Sorry that wasn't clear. They were 4-3 at TCF, just like Kill. That year did include the Air Force Home Opener and the Michigan State games. Most people had those wins listed as their favorite moments at TCF. The end lame "victory" against SDS left a bad taste in people's mouth for sure. Coming after the very winnable 35-32 loss at TCF to Illinois made it worse, but until the gun at the end of that game people felt that they could win it.

The thing is TCF was full, the weather was usually great and yes, the two wins mentioned were listed as "highlight" games for nearly everybody who saw them. None of that applied last year. Now throw in the fact that the 2009 team could score and last year's team couldn't so yes, the 2009 team felt way more competitive at TCF. Neither team could stop anybody once the Big Ten Season started. Once the 2012 team got behind somebody by more than a touchdown though it was over. Starting with the 2nd Half of the Syracuse game the Offense had no chance to beat anybody at Home. It didn't feel like that in 2009.

That's another reason why tickets were sold in 2009 and again in 2010. The fall-off in sales started in 2011, but the fall-off in crowds started in 2010 when they were brutal for nearly the entire season but, again, that wasn't the point of the thread or the post.

The thread was about Student Ticket sales. The point was about the ease of selling them in 2009 versus 2012 and how now they are having to work harder now. A lot of that was necessary because of Brewster's failure as a Head Coach. Kill didn't fill it up last year either. It's hard to think that the excitement or competitiveness at TCF were the same in those two years though.

My fault probably. Just mentioning Brewster's name was sure to bring out somebody who would want to go after him no matter what the point, and I should have been clearer and you to be fair, should have read it a little more carefully. Yeah, I know, now you got to expect some REAL idiot to take this as a chance to change the thread to "Brewster! Why he was the worst Head Coach ever! Why he's a.......:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

You know, there's a thread or 400 were those thoughts can be posted. :eek:

(cue old fart jokes)

When I was at the U, hockey was $200 or more a person, you had to get your ticket money in by the end of the first week of fall semester, and it was by lottery. This is a great deal.

(cue old fart jokes)

When I was at the U, hockey was $200 or more a person, you had to get your ticket money in by the end of the first week of fall semester, and it was by lottery. This is a great deal.

And we had to resurface the ice ourselves. We didn't have no fancy Zamboni.

One - Many people feel that Target Field offers a better experience and for the price difference it should. Felt irritated when so many people made the unfavorable and unfair comparison after Target Field opened. Spent a lot of time pointing it out to people. You didn't hear any of that? Good for you.

Two - Brewster's 7 Win year? That was in 2008, at the Dome. The post was about 2009 the first year at TCF. Sorry that wasn't clear. They were 4-3 at TCF, just like Kill. That year did include the Air Force Home Opener and the Michigan State games. Most people had those wins listed as their favorite moments at TCF. The end lame "victory" against SDS left a bad taste in people's mouth for sure. Coming after the very winnable 35-32 loss at TCF to Illinois made it worse, but until the gun at the end of that game people felt that they could win it.

The thing is TCF was full, the weather was usually great and yes, the two wins mentioned were listed as "highlight" games for nearly everybody who saw them. None of that applied last year. Now throw in the fact that the 2009 team could score and last year's team couldn't so yes, the 2009 team felt way more competitive at TCF. Neither team could stop anybody once the Big Ten Season started. Once the 2012 team got behind somebody by more than a touchdown though it was over. Starting with the 2nd Half of the Syracuse game the Offense had no chance to beat anybody at Home. It didn't feel like that in 2009.

That's another reason why tickets were sold in 2009 and again in 2010. The fall-off in sales started in 2011, but the fall-off in crowds started in 2010 when they were brutal for nearly the entire season but, again, that wasn't the point of the thread or the post.

Even in 2009, there were big fallouts in actual attendance. And the weather wasn't always great. Purdue was not full and it was cold/rainy. SDSU was certainly not close to full and was cold. Illinois had huge gaps in the student section when the game started (but was quite warm for early November - we had a good Indian Summer that year). The Wisconsin game was cold and drizzly - mid-40s if I remember, and attendance was lackluster (ie not 100%) given Big Ten home opener in a brand new stadium with a team that only had 1 loss at that point (to 8th ranked Cal).

I think 2009 was very lucky to have 2 quality non-conference opponents in Air Force and Cal, the opening of the new stadium itself, and the MSU game on Halloween and at night. Take that exact season and move it 3 years forward and you'd have the U working harder to sell some of those games as well. Especially since given the stadium was sold out because it was its first year, the U couldn't really push selling MORE tickets to the games or doing discounting (ie working harder).

I didn't argue that no one does try to compare TCF to Target Field (although I don't really know many who've been to both). My point was that the experience is really not that much different - wide concourses, nice bathrooms, great views, great architecture, good atmosphere, nice amenities. Etc. And as you mentioned, it wouldn't be a fair comparison to make if Target Field IS substantially better as it cost 2x the money to build (we agree here).

I'm glad the U is tinkering with pricing strategy to students. Clearly, whatever they were doing wasn't working in getting people to buy tickets up front. Continuing to do the same thing and expect better results (as long as the team didn't win 11 games last year) is pure insanity. The non-conference home slate is boring to Average College Student - San Jose may be good but no one knows or cares as it isn't a major program (Syracuse as a name likely naturally moved their needle more). The conference slate is fantastic - Wisc, Nebraska, and Iowa, plus PSU. If we can win 2 of those 4 at home I think fans will be pleased and help moving forward.

Even in 2009, there were big fallouts in actual attendance. And the weather wasn't always great. Purdue was not full and it was cold/rainy. SDSU was certainly not close to full and was cold. Illinois had huge gaps in the student section when the game started (but was quite warm for early November - we had a good Indian Summer that year). The Wisconsin game was cold and drizzly - mid-40s if I remember, and attendance was lackluster (ie not 100%) given Big Ten home opener in a brand new stadium with a team that only had 1 loss at that point (to 8th ranked Cal).

I think 2009 was very lucky to have 2 quality non-conference opponents in Air Force and Cal, the opening of the new stadium itself, and the MSU game on Halloween and at night. Take that exact season and move it 3 years forward and you'd have the U working harder to sell some of those games as well. Especially since given the stadium was sold out because it was its first year, the U couldn't really push selling MORE tickets to the games or doing discounting (ie working harder).

I didn't argue that no one does try to compare TCF to Target Field (although I don't really know many who've been to both). My point was that the experience is really not that much different - wide concourses, nice bathrooms, great views, great architecture, good atmosphere, nice amenities. Etc. And as you mentioned, it wouldn't be a fair comparison to make if Target Field IS substantially better as it cost 2x the money to build (we agree here).

I'm glad the U is tinkering with pricing strategy to students. Clearly, whatever they were doing wasn't working in getting people to buy tickets up front. Continuing to do the same thing and expect better results (as long as the team didn't win 11 games last year) is pure insanity. The non-conference home slate is boring to Average College Student - San Jose may be good but no one knows or cares as it isn't a major program (Syracuse as a name likely naturally moved their needle more). The conference slate is fantastic - Wisc, Nebraska, and Iowa, plus PSU. If we can win 2 of those 4 at home I think fans will be pleased and help moving forward.

+1 Rail. Nicely done. :)

You can bet a lot of students will wait for the giveaway program. Why spend money on the maroon package when I can wait for the dumpster package. You can buy 15 cases of Keystone beer for the Maroon ticket prices and get a free ticket to boot. You don't think they won't ?

Top Bottom