New Stadium's Future Neighborhood

Wow... I knew they said they planned this area to be research-oriented, but I had no idea they would propose this dense of an area. Will any of this be used for classrooms? Will they purchase any additional land north for parking? I like the idea of investing money to the U's research programs as it will bring in tons of money (and recognition) to the school. I also like that the area to the north of the stadium could be developed (and concealed) by this - let's face it, the dry land surrounding the train tracks is pretty unappealing. But what about other uses like commercial development? Expanding Stadium Village (restaurants, bars, shops) closer to the stadium will help bridge the gap between Dinkytown and SV, and provide places to eat/things to do on football gamedays. What about dedicated green-space?

Perhaps the most interesting thing to me is on the second frame. That ugly office building that currently houses the Daily and obscures the view of the stadium when you approach from Huron is shown on the first frame. Then, on the second frame where they color code the areas and their uses, the area that occupies that space is listed as "stadium" and the building is gone. I sure hope they get rid of that thing and move the occupants elsewhere. Hopefully that is what their intent is with this.

EDIT: Yep, I just didn't read far enough. On page 11, it shows that spot cleared and listed as "multipurpose public space." Nice.

Bruininks said all along that he wants this university to be one of the best public research universities in the US. You have to have state of the art facilities to do that. This is a good plan, even though it gets rid of parking for football game days.
I heard some rumblings in my office that a new research building was going to start design soon. Not sure if it's around the stadium or not, but I can't think of anywhere else a new building could fit on campus.

Bruininks said all along that he wants this university to be one of the best public research universities in the US. You have to have state of the art facilities to do that. This is a good plan, even though it gets rid of parking for football game days.
I heard some rumblings in my office that a new research building was going to start design soon. Not sure if it's around the stadium or not, but I can't think of anywhere else a new building could fit on campus.

The Legislature created a Biomedical Research Authority last year that will do the bonding for up to 5 new research buildings in a ring around the north side of the stadium. The first is under construction already.

The plan looks good to me too.

A university does not exist to provide parking, but to teach and do research. Seems that as the U continues to build and grow, more and more people keep finding ways to get there despite decreasing parking spaces. Same will be the case for game days. People will find a way to get there.

http://cppm.umn.edu/purchasing/rfps/biomedical/Summary_EG_MP_RFPReference.pdf

Take a look at the planning for the area north of the new stadium. Seems like some pretty dense development. I hope it doesnt completely destroy the parking situation in the area.

What do you folks think?

Nice find!

This development is pretty dense. It won't destroy the parking in the area, but it will change the style of parking dramatically. Right now there are approx 2,600 surface lot spaces right near TCF which would be affected by this development...I've highlighted all those lots in the first attached screenshot, taken from the Parking Selection page.

These surface lots would disappear with the proposed East Gateway District (EGD) development. They would be replaced by approx 2,600-3,300 parking spaces that would be split between 3 new parking ramps. I've attached several screenshots to highlight where they would be located. The first is also from the Parking Selection page. It shows where the 3 new ramps would be located compared to the current lots. The other 3 screenshots come from the EGD presentation.

The U has obviously put some thought into this plan. While the makeup of parking near TCF would be radically changed, the U would actually maintain an equal number or even gain parking spaces close to TCF. This would mean a loss of tailgating spaces, but I'm hard pressed to get upset about this given that the surface lot spaces were all for either a) people ponying up more money or b) premium seat holders. I've been doubtful that this would lead to a true tailgate atmosphere right next to the stadium.

Overall I'm pretty impressed. You hear President Bruininks talk a lot about TCF being a great way to bring the University to the people of Minnesota, a new gateway to the U, etc. That would be doubly true if this new research park gets built. The U's 2 newest crown jewels would be literally right next to each other.

I know this plan will really rile some people up since it will pretty much eliminate what little true tailgating space there was on the East Bank. But I've decided to roll with all of this. This research park would be a great draw for the U and a great addition to campus. It'd be nice if it didn't steal tailgating lots, but the U can only build where space allows. The U is a very urban campus, the most urban in the Big Ten. That offers some specific challenges and some specific opportunities. And I think that if done right, the EGD plans could really work out well.

Attachments

• Parking Selection_East Bank_Closest Lots to TCF.jpg
    Parking Selection_East Bank_Closest Lots to TCF.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 30
  • EGD Parking Selection_Future Parking Ramps_1.jpg
    EGD Parking Selection_Future Parking Ramps_1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 23
  • EGD Master Plan Slide 8_Parking Ramps_1.jpg
    EGD Master Plan Slide 8_Parking Ramps_1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 25
  • EGD Master Plan Slide 12_Parking Ramps_1.jpg
    EGD Master Plan Slide 12_Parking Ramps_1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 32
  • EGD Master Plan Slide 15_Parking Ramps_1.jpg
    EGD Master Plan Slide 15_Parking Ramps_1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 35

Wow... I knew they said they planned this area to be research-oriented, but I had no idea they would propose this dense of an area. Will any of this be used for classrooms? Will they purchase any additional land north for parking? I like the idea of investing money to the U's research programs as it will bring in tons of money (and recognition) to the school. I also like that the area to the north of the stadium could be developed (and concealed) by this - let's face it, the dry land surrounding the train tracks is pretty unappealing. But what about other uses like commercial development? Expanding Stadium Village (restaurants, bars, shops) closer to the stadium will help bridge the gap between Dinkytown and SV, and provide places to eat/things to do on football gamedays. What about dedicated green-space?

I felt the same way about the development. The density North of the stadium could add a nice feel to the area. I also agree that it makes the whole area and the views more appealing.

As to your last 2 questions. I'd also love to see some more private development in Stadium Village. It'll be interesting to see if something else happens in the Day's Inn/Baker's Square area. That will be right next to the LRT station and I can see a push to do more with it. As for green space, slide 11 does a nice job of laying out how that might look.

This is a good plan, even though it gets rid of parking for football game days.
A university does not exist to provide parking, but to teach and do research. Seems that as the U continues to build and grow, more and more people keep finding ways to get there despite decreasing parking spaces. Same will be the case for game days. People will find a way to get there.

As I noted in my above post, parking should not be an issue with this plan. If anything, the parking situation will improve somewhat with the new ramps.

The more I think about it, the excited I am by the possibilities of this plan. Again, see slide 11. The areas marked "C" are considered Gateways; areas to signal entry into and sets the identity of the district. Just think, at the corner of Univ and Wash you'll have TCF, LRT, and the new EGD research area. Put all this together and Stadium Village goes from a loveable but somewhat underwhelming end of campus to the crown jewel of the U and a great doorway to campus. :D

As to your last 2 questions. I'd also love to see some more private development in Stadium Village. It'll be interesting to see if something else happens in the Day's Inn/Baker's Square area. That will be right next to the LRT station and I can see a push to do more with it. As for green space, slide 11 does a nice job of laying out how that might look.

http://www.mndaily.com/2008/09/18/apartment-complex-tower-over-dinkytown-businesses

This project got held up recently with the economy and some unhappy neighbors (frats). But, I hear it's going to get back going soon. I bet there will be some nice restaurants/bars when it's done.

I COMPLETELY agree that a university does not exist to provide parking and open spaces. I am excited for this research park. It looks like they have a pretty good plan. They are very specific about the design of the building - minimizing metal/glass as a striking feature and leaving more to accents, using brick/stone that will match the style of the stadium/arenas, lots of trees, good sight lines and walking space in and out of the area. The ONLY thing that bothers me is that part of their plan for the stadium and justification was all the parking that would be so close to it. But, as GoAU points out, they stand to gain parking spots. While ramps offer no tailgating, I think its true that most "real" tailgating will be taking place outside of the area directly surrounding the stadium.

I know it isn't the university's job to create businesses or restaurants in an area, but it would be nice if they encouraged it. There will be an influx of people working on campus with the addition of these buildings - the research staff, cleaning crews, etc. etc. It would be nice if they encouraged the growth of commercial areas.

Lastly, although they definitely seem to have green space in mind on this (demolishing the office building that is hiding the view of the SE stadium is excellent), it would be nice if they got a little bit of the land north of the research area for just wide open grass/trees. Just my personal thoughts.

http://www.mndaily.com/2008/09/18/apartment-complex-tower-over-dinkytown-businesses

This project got held up recently with the economy and some unhappy neighbors (frats). But, I hear it's going to get back going soon. I bet there will be some nice restaurants/bars when it's done.

Are you sure fraternities care? None of them are impacted by building around the stadium because all of this development is behind the stadium and the fraternities are located on University Ave. I'm on the housing corporation of a fraternity and this topic has never been discussed with us by the city, university or other fraternities.

The project in the article is in dinkytown behind the dinkydome, not right next to the stadium. I'm just saying that I heard the neighboring frat had an issue with a 9 story building going in right next door. Maybe they didn't, but it's just what I heard.

That is also what I heard. It will look a little odd having that thing looming right on the edge of campus, right behind the Dinkydome, and right next to frat row. But on the other hand, people always complain there isn't enough housing close to campus, and what was there before was a very small parking lot and a Caribou that turned in to a Starbucks that then went out of business. Better to get something else in there.

The project in the article is in dinkytown behind the dinkydome, not right next to the stadium. I'm just saying that I heard the neighboring frat had an issue with a 9 story building going in right next door. Maybe they didn't, but it's just what I heard.

My bad. I missed the article and thought you were referencing the development around the stadium at the beginning of the thread.

I could understand Lodge or Hillel (Jewish Student Center) having an issue with it if it encroaches on an easement they have. We had a an apartment building go in next to us and it took away an easement that we had for 50 years for our parking lot. We ended up losing 2 of about 14 parking spots. The construction of the neighboring building caused damage to our building (we assume vibrations from jack hammers) and caused them to put a temporary fence in to our parking lot which left about 6 inches on either side of a car backing out. Settling a change in an easement or compensating neighbors for damage to property can hold up a project. Not to mention situations like the apt building that was built in the location of the former Pizza Hut that the Marcy Park Neighborhood Association held up until they reduced the height of the building to preserve the view of the downtown skyline for neighbors.

I've thought about this for awhile and the more I think about it the more I think they need to turn 6th Street into a festival type of atmosphere. That means closing it down for traffic, building some mixed-use(commercial-residental building on the north side(Not the U's mission but an opporunity to increase cash to help the U's mission). The also need to keep the space between TCF and 6th clear of building unless they are directly related to increasing atmosphere on campus. Think about it having an open space with a few people grillin' up hamburgers and brats to sell(maybe a brew or two if they are private owned and are able to do it). While it is not tailgating for those who wish to go that route, it is great for those who are going to use the parking ramps north of 6th-it's up to 13200 people which is alot. On the bottom level have a few dive bars and grills. Overall have a really lively atmosphere and hopefully it will wrap around to 23rd and semi-connect DT and SV.

I have attached a few picture of what I'm think the first is of idea of mixed use building(not ideal but it works). The second is of The Grove at Ole Miss(also not dead-on for what I'm going for it gives you an idea of what I'm going for). The 3rd is one of who I would hope to show up at the street fest deal(hey, it works at Ole Miss)

Attachments

• Street.jpg
    Street.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 24
  • grove.jpg
    grove.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 27
  • grove 2.jpg
    grove 2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 30

Basketball practice facility

This development plan makes it very clear where the proposed basketball practice facility would NOT go. It never made sense to attach it to the east end of Williams Arena, and this scheme acknowledges that.

I've thought about this for awhile and the more I think about it the more I think they need to turn 6th Street into a festival type of atmosphere. That means closing it down for traffic, building some mixed-use(commercial-residental building on the north side(Not the U's mission but an opporunity to increase cash to help the U's mission). The also need to keep the space between TCF and 6th clear of building unless they are directly related to increasing atmosphere on campus. Think about it having an open space with a few people grillin' up hamburgers and brats to sell(maybe a brew or two if they are private owned and are able to do it). While it is not tailgating for those who wish to go that route, it is great for those who are going to use the parking ramps north of 6th-it's up to 13200 people which is alot. On the bottom level have a few dive bars and grills. Overall have a really lively atmosphere and hopefully it will wrap around to 23rd and semi-connect DT and SV.

I have attached a few picture of what I'm think the first is of idea of mixed use building(not ideal but it works). The second is of The Grove at Ole Miss(also not dead-on for what I'm going for it gives you an idea of what I'm going for). The 3rd is one of who I would hope to show up at the street fest deal(hey, it works at Ole Miss)

Boiler, I like where you are going with this about 6th street, but too many things are in motion that will make your idea impossible. First of all, there are already three buildings dedicated to biosciences already built. It is being zoned to support buildings of research, not entertainment. There will be skyways connecting a series of devoted, professional departments of some of the best minds at the university. This will bring in actually a ton more money to the U than will a few bars and restaurants. This is clearly a place for work, not living or playing.

This is the other end of the spectrum of Bruininks' mission to better the U. This is him and his board of regents following through on the commitment to be one of the top three public research universities in the world. He has already angered many many people by spending so much money on the stadium (certainly not me, I'm super excited about it!!) but he really needed to come through and be serious about the academics at the U. More bars and gameday support at the expense of academic prowess would destroy him in many people's eyes. North of 6th street is made for all 357 days when there is not gopher football (except for the parking ramps).

That said, I would look south for the things you seek. The corner south-east of the stadium looks to be your party grove and I hope it is beautiful. I hope the plaza in front of Williams arena is also a pre-game area, as well as the lawn in front of McNamara. The stadium village area south of TCF as well as dinkytown will thrive on gameday (especially now that there will be very little alcohol sold inside the stadium).

I think this is all planned out pretty well. The stadium is oriented towards campus and so should the gameday atmosphere: tailgating, partying, celebrating victories, etc. Around the 'backside' of the stadium is where more of the real business of the university (research, teaching, and learning) is done (and it will be gorgeous as well). The proximity of all this makes sure that when all these people show up for football games they will see that we are passionate about our sports but they wont escape the fact that this is a da,m good university academically too.

Mr.Gopher you are completely right on all of that. The you needs to focus on it's core mission which is research and education. Not football or creating a great football atmosphere. That is also the mission of all landgrant school-although some school in the SEC would disagree with us.

From a purely football standpoint this would the 6th street party area would be great but I do know to many things are in motion that can't be stopped to make it happen. Although the single biggest thing they can do to kill football atmosphere is put big research building south of 6th between 6th and the Stadium. The space would become way to busy and full for people to hang out at and instead of people coming early and walking around and grabing a burger and beer they would go straight into TCF 5 minutes before kickoff and at the end of the game they will crawl right back into there cars and to home.

Even though there be a street fest on 6th street it NEEDS to be close on game day. I can't stress that enough. Same goes for Oak,
23rd, and University(minus the players, marching band, and other needed gameday vechicles).

As for what you mentioned about the McNamara alumii center it going to go either of 2 directions. 1. A space for all alumii to come and gather where you stand in line for a way below average hotdog and cheap rootbeer. 2. Go for a place for the high level donors to go then be asked to give more money. They will get top shelf food and all the trimmings. Personally I think it will end up being a little of both but mostly for the high level boosters. I didn't mean to bust your bubble on that one but that is the way things will play out. This also gets into my ideas of big money and high level boosters vs everyone else, but I won't go there simply because it will derail this great thread we have going.

That said, I would look south for the things you seek. The corner south-east of the stadium looks to be your party grove and I hope it is beautiful. I hope the plaza in front of Williams arena is also a pre-game area, as well as the lawn in front of McNamara. The stadium village area south of TCF as well as dinkytown will thrive on gameday (especially now that there will be very little alcohol sold inside the stadium).

I'm still hopeful that the U will adopt a Vanderbilt/Grove style atmosphere within campus (renting out spaces, tailgate tents, or both) on some of the interior green spaces and streets. I know Northrup is out b/c its a family tailgate space and I'm wondering if any of the streets could really be used since some of the interior parking garages are used for gameday parking. Regardless, while I'd love to see this option explored I think that the open spaces you mention can create a nice gameday atmosphere in addition to the one offered by house parties, frats, and bars.

Top Bottom