new roster takes shape

Gophersports.com appears to be a ways behind Gopherhole posters. I wonder if they plan on eventually adding Ken Evans Jr? H/T to Sane.

Gophersports.com appears to be a ways behind Gopherhole posters. I wonder if they plan on eventually adding Ken Evans Jr? H/T to Sane.
"EVENTUALLY" is the key word....
Or maybe
"Financially unable to"

not sure why the U is so slow to update the roster. other programs have had their new rosters up for weeks. Heck, Cal had Matz Stockman on their online roster within days and before he had to bounce back to the U

not sure why the U is so slow to update the roster. other programs have had their new rosters up for weeks. Heck, Cal had Matz Stockman on their online roster within days and before he had to bounce back to the U
Don't bother them with anything other than a donation or your payment for the season tickets! :)

They failed to list his father as a senior.
Yea, Jr. is a Sr. and so is Sr.

Does anyone think that our frontcourt will be improved from last season? Garcia will be great at the 4 stretch, but I'm uncertain how effective Frank M. and Edmonds will be scoring. (Jordan Murphy buckets w/put backs are just as good as a flashy dunk). Payne wasn't a prolific scorer either, and a serviceable rebounder and shot blocker. It will probably be a significant step UP due to experience and defensive abilities of the TWO replacements playing regular minutes.

I'm excited to see the new backcourt with added physicality/slashing ability. Looking for a lot more guys to have 4-5+ assist games dishing, less dribbling. Haven't seen a lot of Odukale, Rigsby, Patterson other than highlight tape. They must be a step UP defending from the Hawkins, Christie duo. I thought Mitchell Jr. was a decent defender as the year went on, and I liked his intensity.

With Garcia, Patterson, MMitchell, Williams that gives us 4 good options from perimeter, and I am counting on Betts making 3's this season also. Asuma, who knows if he will make shots sped up at a higher level?

I haven't been a fan at all of the roster construction this offseason. I'd want as many 6'5-6'8 guys on the roster who can defend on the perimeter as possible and Ben brought in one such player in Odukale. This was a significant issue last season as our one player in this size range who could play on the wing was Christie and then we were small in the backcourt with Mitchell/Hawkins too. Ben brought in 3 senior guards who are 6'3 or shorter and none of whom are pure point guards. Of the 12 scholarships accounted for, 5 are guards 6'3 or shorter. 4 of those guys are going to be Seniors. Only one of those 5 would possibly be considered a pure point guard and that is the Freshman in Asuma.

Ben needs an Evans (like bga has been pounding the table for) to come in and be our second best scorer on paper and give us more size on the wing. Unless Betts has both taken a giant leap (and that leap coming in perimeter skills on both ends) we're locked in to playing small as currently constructed. This goes beyond any NIL issues. Rigsby visited Samford (not Stanford) before Minnesota and Williams also didn't have any other reported high major offers. Taking one of those guys and the equivalent version of the other that has wing size would have made more sense to me.

The Center position is also similarly constructed. Ben added 2 guys who will be Seniors that (at least statistically) don't appear to be able to stretch the floor at all and have been terrible from the free throw line. I think you can only play one of Fox, Mitchell, Edmonds at a time given their profiles, so again you are limiting your play style and upside with all 3 options in their last year of eligibility.

I understand Ben has to be all in on this season, but I am not sure 8 Seniors (some that certainly appear to have limited upside) is the way to go. I followed things fairly closely (not as closely as usual) and it didn't seem like any attempt was made to bring in any younger players through the portal that may have had an upside to unlock and raise the potential ceiling of this group.

Add Ken Evans or his duplicate big wing to fill the last scholarship or we will be fighting that deficiency for this entire season.

Add Ken Evans or his duplicate big wing to fill the last scholarship or we will be fighting that deficiency for this entire season.
Are you going to write the check? My guess is that Ben is carrying an empty bag.

At this point, it appears that Evans is still a take. That is if there is a team that still has the $$$. The longer he waits, the fewer teams with the $$$.

I haven't been a fan at all of the roster construction this offseason. I'd want as many 6'5-6'8 guys on the roster who can defend on the perimeter as possible and Ben brought in one such player in Odukale. This was a significant issue last season as our one player in this size range who could play on the wing was Christie and then we were small in the backcourt with Mitchell/Hawkins too. Ben brought in 3 senior guards who are 6'3 or shorter and none of whom are pure point guards. Of the 12 scholarships accounted for, 5 are guards 6'3 or shorter. 4 of those guys are going to be Seniors. Only one of those 5 would possibly be considered a pure point guard and that is the Freshman in Asuma.

Ben needs an Evans (like bga has been pounding the table for) to come in and be our second best scorer on paper and give us more size on the wing. Unless Betts has both taken a giant leap (and that leap coming in perimeter skills on both ends) we're locked in to playing small as currently constructed. This goes beyond any NIL issues. Rigsby visited Samford (not Stanford) before Minnesota and Williams also didn't have any other reported high major offers. Taking one of those guys and the equivalent version of the other that has wing size would have made more sense to me.

The Center position is also similarly constructed. Ben added 2 guys who will be Seniors that (at least statistically) don't appear to be able to stretch the floor at all and have been terrible from the free throw line. I think you can only play one of Fox, Mitchell, Edmonds at a time given their profiles, so again you are limiting your play style and upside with all 3 options in their last year of eligibility.

I understand Ben has to be all in on this season, but I am not sure 8 Seniors (some that certainly appear to have limited upside) is the way to go. I followed things fairly closely (not as closely as usual) and it didn't seem like any attempt was made to bring in any younger players through the portal that may have had an upside to unlock and raise the potential ceiling of this group.
When is your novel being released?

Are you going to write the check? My guess is that Ben is carrying an empty bag.

At this point, it appears that Evans is still a take. That is if there is a team that still has the $$$. The longer he waits, the fewer teams with the $$$.
If we are broke, then all is forgiven.
I was guessing that we had money earmarked for Christie that wasn't spent.
If that isn't true, then game over and nobody is to blame.

I read the whole post and have no problem with taking your time and thoroughly explaining the situation as you see it. Although I also seem to have a longer attention span that a lot of folks.
While I may not be 100% in agreement with all of the points you make, (I'm more inclined to wait and see how things look after a full pre-season of games and practices) I do applaud your ability and willingness to completely explain your concerns, why they are concerns and what you believe to be the steps needed to address them.

I can see a scenario where CBJ and admin are scrambling at this very moment to secure more NIL $ for final roster spot. I certainly wouldn't want to be a college bb coach right now.

I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, but my question was regarding the team compared to last year. From a smaller, less physical defending perimeter compared to incoming guys, it seems we should be better. Same with bigs, Payne had a 3-foot range and we now have two older guys replacing him with 3-foot range. Should be better defensively, and hopefully our perimeter will hit shots to open up the lane. The real question for me is how MN will respond to pressure defense, and how will our ball control be limiting turnovers. Hawkins was a dribbler AND turned it over way to many times (24% of possessions). He had a high asst.% (38.8%) because he was primary handler. We need to cut the turnovers and spread the assists around.

I can see a scenario where CBJ and admin are scrambling at this very moment to secure more NIL $ for final roster spot. I certainly wouldn't want to be a college bb coach right now.
Any coach that doesn't have a top notch roster already in hand...and has one or more open scholarships should be out there attempting to buy a player that is a difference maker. If we aren't doing that in our situation, the coach should be fired. Leaving the last scholarship open at this point is like having a bad hand in poker and refusing to draw another card, because you don't want to offend the other cards in your hand.

Get Ken Evans or a similar difference maker... a number 2 option behind Garcia.

Any coach that doesn't have a top notch roster already in hand...and has one or more open scholarships should be out there attempting to buy a player that is a difference maker. If we aren't doing that in our situation, the coach should be fired. Leaving the last scholarship open at this point is like having a bad hand in poker and refusing to draw another card, because you don't want to offend the other cards in your hand.

Get Ken Evans or a similar difference maker... a number 2 option behind Garcia.
AMEN!
I second that emotion!

I'll take the one who hasn't been arrested and hasn't had it described in the Daily Sundial.
I hadn’t heard about that. Definitely not good.

Agree, take a hard pass on that guy.

Top Bottom