New OC?

TWeber

Reaction score
Did anyone hear Paul Allen on KFAN this morning? He and JG were talking about the new Tennesee OC and Lane Kiffin commented that this guy chose the Vols over an offer from the Gophers.

Was this before Davis was hired as run game coordinator? Or is something still in the works?

I found this very interesting too. I wonder if there is any truth to this.

How soon until we hear that Dunbar is leaving due to "philosophical differences" with the Gopher program???, and that Davis is the new OC???

The whole situation just seems like it was set up to let Dunbar leave with his pride.

Bill Callahan, former Raiders Head Coach is being mentioned, with others, as a potential OC on the Vol's board. I doubt we could have afforded him at da U. Kiffen just hired his dad away from the Tampa Bay Bucs as his DC.

Very interesting. I don't think Davis will be OC, cause Brewster doesn't want to abandon the spread and I don't know if Davis is good with that. But now that it's out that the Gophers are trying to dump Dunbar, I wonder how this affects things in the future.

I thought someone said that Ed Orgeron was the new OC at UT???

This is GREAT news!

Knowing that Brewster is fully aware of Dunbar's ineptitude is very comforting. I was hoping all year that the staff would catch on and realize he is a very overrated coach. There are some great minds out there that would fit in nicely.
Anyone have any idea about who is on our radar?

Hearing that Dunbar might get fired just brightened my day. I was really getting tired of his one dimensional play calling. (Shotgun on 3rd and 1 - how frustrating) The writing appeared to be on the proverbial wall when we basically threw out Dunbar's playbook for the Insight bowl game and went to a power formation. It was clear at that point that Brewster had no faith in Dunbar's play calling. This is a positive sign that Brewster recognizes problems and addresses them.

I guess I'm indifferent with Dunbar. He does come up with some nice plays in theory, rather than actual result (guy was open but we couldn't get him the ball, dropped pass or RB didn't wait for play to develope...etc) and his offense has worked well elsewhere, but I really hate how we run the same plays over and over regardless if they are working or not. A good OC should realize that you don't keep doing something that isn't working.

After Wednesdays game, it seems we also did that with the "power" formations (I guess I'm calling anything with the QB under center as "power"). I'm not sure if Dunbar was also calling the "power" plays, but if so Brewster needs to realize the guy has a habit of beating a dead horse and take over some control. Granted, the "power" stuff was just implimented so they might not have installed that many plays in the offense yet.

Dunbar has stunk for two B10 seasons

We don't score, we can't control the clock, we give the opposing team oodles of possessions, and we keep our defense on the field all game. What's to like? He's had 16 games and has shown me nothing. The definition of a football fool is somebody who keeps doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. This is the year 2009. You don't install a package with the hope that two or three years later you might have the players for it. Each year is a new year in college football these days. On top of all this, we're paying him a ton. Duh!

Let the record indicate that I threw a tantrum when we hired him. :p

*****Read this

We offered him the job prior to hiring Dunbar. When he said no to our offer we hired Dunbar.

Don't take the comment as meaning that Dunbar is being fired and we are bringing in a new OC.

We offered him the job prior to hiring Dunbar. When he said no to our offer we hired Dunbar.

Don't take the comment as meaning that Dunbar is being fired and we are bringing in a new OC.

Are you saying that we offered Cheney the job prior to Dunbar two years ago and that's what the Rams coach is talking about? Because the St. Louis article clearly insinuates that Cheney had the choice THIS YEAR - either Tennessee or Minnesota and he chose TN. Now, Haslett may have misunderstood the situation, but the article insinuates that the Gopher OC job was recently offered to Cheney.

Clarify please. Thanks!

Are you saying that we offered Cheney the job prior to Dunbar two years ago and that's what the Rams coach is talking about? Because the St. Louis article clearly insinuates that Cheney had the choice THIS YEAR - either Tennessee or Minnesota and he chose TN. Now, Haslett may have misunderstood the situation, but the article insinuates that the Gopher OC job was recently offered to Cheney.

Clarify please. Thanks!

I haven't read the article but a few days ago when Tennessee made the hire some people over on GI were discussing whether that was the coach that the Gophers tried to hire before Dunbar. I could be wrong but the discussion was prior to the news paper article.

Clarify please. Thanks!

Ok, I read the article, it certainly does imply that. Interesting.

It sounds pretty straightforward to me. It says that he was offered the University of Minnesota job, but he opted to take the Tennessee job instead.

That means it must have been offered to him in the last couple weeks. If Brewster is openly offering the position of OC, then Dunbar's departure is probably imminent.

It sounds pretty straightforward to me. It says that he was offered the University of Minnesota job, but he opted to take the Tennessee job instead.

That means it must have been offered to him in the last couple weeks. If Brewster is openly offering the position of OC, then Dunbar's departure is probably imminent.

The only caveat is if Cheney was actually offered the OL job, which was open on Nov. 23. Maybe Haslett wanted to make his guy sound better and simply said he was offered the offensive coordinator's job or he misunderstood what Cheney was offered. Maybe Cheney was simply contacted about the OL job and Haslett took off with it and wanted to thump his chest about his guy. Maybe Cheney was the pick ahead of Davis for OL??? Not saying that's how it unfolded, just saying the could be another possibility.

Tim Davis was announced as being the new OL coach on 11/25. Lane Kiffin was announced the new head coach at Tenn on 12/1. If you do the math, I don't think Kiffin would offer a guy a job before he was actually put in place as coach and had a chance to get the inside info on the program. Maybe he contacted Chaney to see if he would leave the rams, but I don't think he would have offered him a job at that time.

That being said, Chaney was OC at Purdue which runs a spread offense. Brewster could be looking for a new guy with a spread background so that the transition wouldn't be that dramatic.

Knowing that Brewster is fully aware of Dunbar's ineptitude is very comforting. I was hoping all year that the staff would catch on and realize he is a very overrated coach. There are some great minds out there that would fit in nicely.
Anyone have any idea about who is on our radar?

At what point should Coach Brewster be held accountable for these "bad hires" after all the buck stops with him and he made the call to hire these coaches. As I recall when he hired Everett Withers he stated something to the effect that this was a guy he always knew he wanted on his staff, thankfully he left and created a spot for Coach Roof. It was Brewster that hired the offensive coordinator and the offensive line coach that he just fired. At some point you need to have stability in your coaching staff to move forward as this is a trademark of most top programs.

who was the guy that brewster asked first to be oc?

Rob Speence

I called for a Denver style offense and threw a

Let the record indicate that I threw a tantrum when we hired him. :p

fit as well when the genious Dunbar was hired. His offense gets worse every year.

If brewster had stuck with what he was doing in Denver, the team would have won 7 games last year as well.

Top Bottom