New OC’s named…

There is no such thing as “co” in play calling.

If one person wants to run and the other pass, you have to choose one.

Until clarified — maybe Fleck is going to call the plays???? — I say Simon is the play caller.

How many Co-OCs are there in the Power Five?

There is no such thing as “co” in play calling.

If one person wants to run and the other pass, you have to choose one.

Until clarified — maybe Fleck is going to call the plays???? — I say Simon is the play caller.
Simon is play caller but both will game plan the offense is my guess.

Not sure why Ryan Burns would assume Harbaugh will be the QB coach. There are still open positions to backfill.

TCU Has a Co-Offensive coordinator listed in their coaching staff roster. Georgia has Co-Defensive Coordinators. It seems to work fine for them.

This is pretty common. Simon has already been the Co-Offensive coordinator for the past 3 seasons. I guess I missed the outrage over that for 3 years already.

I wonder if the titles are a really wonky, stupid thing of if either of them were changed to just OC then they’d have to negotiate new, separate contracts of their own that are approved by the regents. So doing it this way allows Fleck (and Coyle) to bypass regent approval??

Just fix the damn rules, then, if so.

This is pretty common. Simon has already been the Co-Offensive coordinator for the past 3 seasons. I guess I missed the outrage over that for 3 years already.

Michigan has co-OCs. OSU effectively has co-OCs as Day calls plays but he also has an OC. Neither of their QB coaches played QB in college. I suppose this is nothing new. Find bright hard working coaches and let them coach (and recruit).

There must be something about Simon that says “not ready” to PJ? And whatever that “something” is, it isn’t going away.
What is the "something" you see if he is giving him the play calling job?

the Gophs can hand out all of the titles they like.

what really matters is the offensive philosophy - which I suspect is still going to be dictated primarily by the Head Coach.

in most cases, when you bring in a new OC from outside the program, that OC typically brings in his own offensive system.

would Fleck allow that? I wonder.

this is Fleck's program, and anyone who has the OC title or calls plays is going to have to conform to Fleck's offensive philosophy.

and before anyone squawks - Fleck is the Head Coach. he has every right to run the program the way he wants. Personally, I would like to see him allow the OC more freedom, but that's probably not going to happen.

the Gophs can hand out all of the titles they like.

what really matters is the offensive philosophy - which I suspect is still going to be dictated primarily by the Head Coach.

in most cases, when you bring in a new OC from outside the program, that OC typically brings in his own offensive system.

would Fleck allow that? I wonder.

this is Fleck's program, and anyone who has the OC title or calls plays is going to have to conform to Fleck's offensive philosophy.

and before anyone squawks - Fleck is the Head Coach. he has every right to run the program the way he wants. Personally, I would like to see him allow the OC more freedom, but that's probably not going to happen.
Reminds me of the Cheers episode where Rebecca gives Woody the title of Executive Bartender, so she doesn’t have to give him a raise

Last edited:

Top Bottom