New Name Search Committee talked about

Pewterschmidt

Reaction score
I have a friend of a friend that worked in the athletic department and has connections and a name popped up that I had never considered. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

His name is Mickey Matthews and he's the current head coach at James Madison. The same James Madison that went into Blacksburg, VA and beat the ranked VT Hokies this season. He won the D1-AA national championship in 2004, a team just 3 years earlier that went 2-9.

Listen, I understand that some of you may not be thrilled about a D1-AA coach but was Ohio St thrilled when Jim Tressel was named their head coach coming directly from Youngstown St? Tressel's resume at that time was similar to Matthews' resume. The latter has assistant coaching experence at Georgia, TCU and Kansas St, etc so the net he can cast on the recruiting trail shouldn't be overlooked.

Here's his bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Matthews

When I pressed that person about how serious Matthews was being considered, he said the committee was still vetting.

Head Coach - Check
Winner - Check
Winning with built-in disadvantages - Check
Recruiting ties to talent-rich regions -Check
Realistic chance at accepting the position - Check

I have a friend of a friend that worked in the athletic department and has connections and a name popped up that I had never considered. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

His name is Mickey Matthews and he's the current head coach at James Madison. The same James Madison that went into Blacksburg, VA and beat the ranked VT Hokies this season. He won the D1-AA national championship in 2004, a team just 3 years earlier that went 2-9.

Listen, I understand that some of you may not be thrilled about a D1-AA coach but was Ohio St thrilled when Jim Tressel was named their head coach coming directly from Youngstown St? Tressel's resume at that time was similar to Matthews' resume. The latter has assistant coaching experence at Georgia, TCU and Kansas St, etc so the net he can cast on the recruiting trail shouldn't be overlooked.

When I pressed that person about how serious Matthews was being considered, he said the committee was still vetting.

Head Coach - Check
Winner - Check

Thanks for the new name. The only problem is, we've been burned by small school coaches before. I.E Joe Salem (South Dakota/Northern Arizona) Jim Wacker (Texas Christian). And that wasn't the Texas Christian we know now.

10 years at JMU. Seems a long time to not make the move up to FBS. Recruiting to a FCS team is different than here. You get a lot more guys that are local and ignored by the bigger schools. Granted that's what we've been getting here too... I'm thinking he'd be too much of a reach, although he has run an entire program, which we see is an important trait...

Head Coach - Check
Winner - Check

And, the same James Madison that is 4-5 this year, currently suffering a four-game losing streak with losses to New Hampshire, Villanova, UMass and Richmond.

Give me a break. No thanks.

Wacker had 13-0 seasons and FOUR national championships at lower levels, but flopped in DI at two schools. Same thing has happened with many other coaches. Big differences from one level to another.

Hey, don't kill the messenger. I'm actually hearing this has a lot of steam. He's had few tough games, but if you dig deeper you can see those are actually tough places to play. Supposedly the James Madison alum are getting antsy for a change similar to when Tubby left Kentucky. This just could be the perfect storm!

I hope he's not the guy.

He didn't build James Madison, he took over a great program. In his first season they finished 7-1 in their conference.

The next two years they went 6-5 and 2-9... before going 5-7 and 6-6.

I'm not impressed. That's five years into his tenure and they're a .500 program in 1-AA.

And, the same James Madison that is 4-5 this year, currently suffering a four-game losing streak with losses to New Hampshire, Villanova, UMass and Richmond.

Give me a break. No thanks.

I'm not really for this guy as our new head coach, but in his defense that appears to be a REALLY hard FCS schedule.

Nova was the champs at the FCS last year and Richmond the year before. Umass is always good as is New Hampshire.

JMU's solid program. In a different situation, he might be a good candidate. But MN can and must do better at this point in their history. We need a proven BCS-level coach. Period.

I bet Mickey Mathews has a smile on his face today. Man I hope he's the guy to turn this ship around!

If he was 47 instead of 57, he would probably be one of the hotter names in college football.

always fun to hear a new name but you realize he has no shot in hell, right? there is no way in hell that maturi is going to bring the fricking james madison hc to the press conference. you are smarter than that pewter.

It's November 13, not April 1, so this post is not really appropriate.

Mickey Mouse has a better chance to be the next Gopher coach than Mickey Matthews.

If joel want's a non-renewal rate of 50% or more

Hire the Lames Madison guy Matthews. This sounds like Badger Joel's dream candidate, right up his skinflint ally.
I can sell him as a winner and sign him up real "cheap". Going on the cheap is why we ended up with Tim "Boobster".
Go ahead Maturi hire the James Madison guy and you will see how many season tickets you sell.
They hire that guy and there will be a lot of people dropping there seats maybe we can all move up or to better seats.

Top Bottom