New Mexico State Pregame Thread

I expect a blowout, and that is because I am a fan of a B1G team who just competed with USC on the road. Anything less than a beatdown of some type would be a disappointment. That said, a 27-14 win is a win, and I would be happy in the end regardless considering this team's recent history. I think it would be utilized to teach this team a lesson.

But yes, I want 38-3 because it's been waaaaaaaay too long since we beat somebody down (FAU?). Plus Kill's teams have a history of putting the beating on inferior opponents.

The thread got locked before anyone could correct him. He must not have looked closely at PantherHawk's post. My guess is this poster merely saw that he was talking smack against NMSU, and assumed it was a Gophers fan. If he had read further, he would have seen that PH was advocating taking cheap shots at Gopher players to injure them. It is understandable, PantherHawk's type of trolling is unusual. Few trolls are that obsessed with some other team. Based on the evidence that I have seen, PantherHawk has little interest in either Iowa or Northern Iowa. Instead he's pathologically obsessed with the Gophers.

NMSU only rushed for 6 yards on 23 carries against Ohio. We should be able to handle this team.

/prayer of no South Dakota-esque meltdown

THIS is the key to the future of the Gophers: not playing down to your weaker opponents level.

Couple of points reading through this thread:

1) Someone had mentioned: "1 game in and you're already looking past our next opponent". (In reference to the Miami game being a game some of us are more concerned about). It makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in the outcome of a game if I am more concerned about 1 opponent vs another. The players' preparation, focus, and performance does. I simply think the Miami game presents more challenges due to better talent, better opening day performance, new head coach, and with them having a week off.

2) While NMState is in the WAC, they have historically been far from even being WAC caliber.

3) Coach Kill will approach this game like any other........correct mistakes, work on fundamentals, know your assignments better, and execute. He's not going to care what team he's playing as his emphasis day in and day out will be "Are you a better player today, than you were yesterday?" His formula is work hard, know what the hell your doing, and execute with fundamentals. The by product of that formula is winning games. We should beat this team and beat them soundly, if we improve from week 1 to week 2. If we have kids that come out flying around, making tackles at the point of contact, having fewer penalties, etc. I can personally live with any win, regardless of score.

I think that Kill will have the Gophers coming out as if they are playing another top-25 team. Show your opponent the respect of treating them like they are a good football team, and you'll do OK. Disrespect your opponent, and treat the game like a vacation, then it comes back to bite you. Put the game away early, and build up some experience with the backups.

He just did not seem real relaxed.
Which isn't something you can remain too worried about based on one game. Sample size is too small to know if he's going to have the kind of year Orseske had last season (i.e. great in practice, not great in games). Not saying you're not allowed to be annoyed or worried...it's your prerogative. Just think getting worried this early is pretty pointless given that there is very little to judge him on.

From the USC game we can see that the Gophers have a strong run defense but a not so great pass defense.
A not so great pass defense against a stud QB and a 1st round NFL draft pick. I don't think the Gophers are allowed to overlook anyone yet. But I don't blame fans for not getting too worried that this season's secondary is capable of handling NMSU.

Very Nice Post +1

Couple of points reading through this thread:

1) Someone had mentioned: "1 game in and you're already looking past our next opponent". (In reference to the Miami game being a game some of us are more concerned about). It makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in the outcome of a game if I am more concerned about 1 opponent vs another. The players' preparation, focus, and performance does. I simply think the Miami game presents more challenges due to better talent, better opening day performance, new head coach, and with them having a week off.

2) While NMState is in the WAC, they have historically been far from even being WAC caliber.

3) Coach Kill will approach this game like any other........correct mistakes, work on fundamentals, know your assignments better, and execute. He's not going to care what team he's playing as his emphasis day in and day out will be "Are you a better player today, than you were yesterday?" His formula is work hard, know what the hell your doing, and execute with fundamentals. The by product of that formula is winning games. We should beat this team and beat them soundly, if we improve from week 1 to week 2. If we have kids that come out flying around, making tackles at the point of contact, having fewer penalties, etc. I can personally live with any win, regardless of score.

An excellent post from somebody who has obviously been paying attention to what Coach Kill is saying and doing. He didn’t critique the coaches and/or the players but laid out for us what Kill's approach and philosophy are for the game of football. Per his bolded comment above he seems to be way too grounded in reality to be an expert on this blog. I just hope the players are as good as a listener as he is.

Offensively the gophers should be able to move the ball. NMSU had like 5 plays of 30+ yrds on offense against Ohio, they'll need at least that many to hang with the gophers, and I don't see that happening.

New Mexico State Presser Quotes -- link scout

*** cut and paste from link ***
Walker on the type of offense they plan on seeing:
“I think with Gray in the game that’s kind of who they are and that they can’t throw the ball. They have a good wide receiver No. 6 he’s a good player. But I think who they are right now early in the season until they can continue to create and establish their identity offensively they’re going to put the ball in the quarterback’s hands and let him go. Their running back No. 22 he’s a good player too."

“That’s kind of who they are right now in terms of running the ball and they do have the capabilities, he’s not a terrible passer by any means I know he wants to play better and I think he’s a little disappointed in himself. And their freshman quarterback No. 11
"
*** cut and paste from link ***

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/1103710.html

Couple ppress links

Gophers QB MarQueis Gray no stranger to cramps
"
Gray said cramps bothered him on the first day of preseason camp, but not as much as they did against USC when his right throwing arm and left calf tightened up.

Gophers coach Jerry Kill was too concerned to put Gray back in the game in the fourth quarter, instead relying on freshman Max Shortell to finish the game.

But Kill said he expects Gray to be healthy enough to start in Saturday's home opener against New Mexico State.
"
http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_18840182?nclick_check=1

MarQueis Gray is still Gophers' No. 1 QB, but freshman Max Shortell gives them a different look

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_18839229?nclick_check=1

CFN's prediction is up: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1101734.html

Here’s The Deal … Minnesota played better than anyone expected at USC, and despite getting bombed on by the record-setting Matt Barkley-to-Robert Woods combination, had the puck on its stick in the final minutes with a chance to win. New head coach Jerry Kill is good enough to not be happy with moral victories, but for a program that’s been so mediocre for so long, a 19-17 loss in Los Angeles isn’t bad. Now, though, is when the Gophers have to go to work.

Minnesota always seems to have inexplicable struggles in the games they need to win in blowouts. Last year it was the home opening gaffe against South Dakota, in 2009 it was a close call against South Dakota State, and this year, even with North Dakota State on the slate in a few weeks, beating a bad New Mexico State team like a drum is a must. With a tough game against Miami University up next, this is when the Gophers have to show that they’re going to be Big Ten-good under this new coaching staff, and it needs to prove that they can roll at home against the lousy teams.

New Mexico State came out of the gate struggling, doing nothing on the ground and having no help from the run defense in a 44-24 home loss to Ohio. The DeWayne Walker era just can’t seem to get going, with every positive, like the passing game last week, dragged down by several negatives. The offense should be just interesting enough to push the Gopher secondary, but if the D doesn’t come up with something new in a hurry, it’ll be another blowout.

Why New Mexico State Might Win: The passing game. Ohio’s secondary was supposed to be the negative of the defense coming into the season, and it was picked apart by an Aggie passing game that’s going to bomb away in every game to try to keep up with its lousy defense. QB Andrew Manley threw for 362 yards and two touchdowns, spreading the wealth around to four main targets. USC was able to light up Minnesota like a Christmas tree with one star, Woods, who caught 17 passes for 177 yards and three scores, while Barkley threw it 45 times. Manley will put it up at least 45 times and he’ll keep the pressure on the Minnesota secondary all game long.

Why Minnesota Might Win: The Gophers should be able to run wild all game long. The ground game never got going against USC’s terrific defensive front, but there won’t be the same sort of problems against an Aggie defensive line that had no chance whatsoever last week against the Bobcats. Ohio tore off 241 yards and three touchdowns with five different players running for 33 yards or more, and with quarterback Tyler Tettleton running for 40 yards and two scores. Kill would love for Minnesota to be a running team, and this is the chance to become on. Defensively, forget about any semblance of a New Mexico State running game; the Gopher linebackers will spend all their time worrying about the midrange passing game.

What To Watch Out For: The Minnesota quarterback situation suddenly became interesting. There wasn’t any question going into the season about who the main man was going to be, with MarQueis Gray expected to become a special star in the Kill attack. He struggled against USC, completing 7-of-12 passes for 94 yards while running 16 times for 47 yards, and then he got dinged up and replaced by true freshman Max Shortell, who came up with a solid game considering he was thrown to the wolves. The 6-4, 205-pounder isn’t nearly the runner that Gray is, but he can throw. However, if Minnesota is going anywhere this year, Gray has to be fantastic.

New Mexico State’s defensive front is so lousy that the secondary has to clean up too many messes, and that’s where Donyae Coleman comes in. The 5-10, 187-pounder stepped in from Compton College as a wide receiver and saw a little time on the offensive side, but he quickly showed that he can produce as a defensive back with 92 tackles. Last week he made 14 stops with a pick and a fumble return. If he’s not the best defensive player on the field, he’ll be a close second.

What Will Happen: Kill will rotate the quarterbacks, and they’ll both produce. Gray will bounceback to run for at least two scores, while Shortell will get meaningful minutes to get a bit more time in the system. Manley and the Aggies will throw for well over 300 yards, but it won’t be nearly enough against a Gopher attack that should explode.

CFN Prediction: Minnesota 48 … New Mexico State 23

Minnesota has to clean up the pass defense a little, but this game is a whitewash. UM 55 NM St 17

CFN's prediction is up: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1101734.htmltrue freshman Max Shortell, who came up with a solid game considering he was thrown to the wolves. The 6-4, 205-pounder isn’t nearly the runner that Gray is, but he can throw.

lulz.

Shortell is closer to 6'8" than he is to 6'4", and he's closer to 250 than he is to 200.

I remember seeing him on the sidelines at one of the spring scrimmages in the Bank - dude looked like a DE.

New Mexico State is in ESPN's Bottom 10 this week. They need to roll to gain some momentum.

I wonder if Samuel Oyenuga will get any playing time in the game. He was a former Gopher commit. He decommitted and then committed to New Mexico State. I remember there being some sort of fall out, some speculation that the staff wanted him to look around. He had some facebook posts that seemed very bitter towards the program. Could be something interesting to keep an eye on.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/newmexicostate/football/recruiting/player-Samuel-Oyenuga-95729

I wonder if Samuel Oyenuga will get any playing time in the game. He was a former Gopher commit. He decommitted and then committed to New Mexico State. I remember there being some sort of fall out, some speculation that the staff wanted him to look around. He had some facebook posts that seemed very bitter towards the program. Could be something interesting to keep an eye on.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/newmexicostate/football/recruiting/player-Samuel-Oyenuga-95729

I was also watching for Crawford in the unlv wisky game, but didn't notice him playing. Another thing to keep in mind about NMSU is that thy got most of those passing yards late in the second half when Ohio was in control of the game.

CFN's prediction is up: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1101734.html

Here’s The Deal … Minnesota played better than anyone expected at USC, and despite getting bombed on by the record-setting Matt Barkley-to-Robert Woods combination, had the puck on its stick in the final minutes with a chance to win. New head coach Jerry Kill is good enough to not be happy with moral victories, but for a program that’s been so mediocre for so long, a 19-17 loss in Los Angeles isn’t bad. Now, though, is when the Gophers have to go to work.

Minnesota always seems to have inexplicable struggles in the games they need to win in blowouts. Last year it was the home opening gaffe against South Dakota, in 2009 it was a close call against South Dakota State, and this year, even with North Dakota State on the slate in a few weeks, beating a bad New Mexico State team like a drum is a must. With a tough game against Miami University up next, this is when the Gophers have to show that they’re going to be Big Ten-good under this new coaching staff, and it needs to prove that they can roll at home against the lousy teams.

New Mexico State came out of the gate struggling, doing nothing on the ground and having no help from the run defense in a 44-24 home loss to Ohio. The DeWayne Walker era just can’t seem to get going, with every positive, like the passing game last week, dragged down by several negatives. The offense should be just interesting enough to push the Gopher secondary, but if the D doesn’t come up with something new in a hurry, it’ll be another blowout.

Why New Mexico State Might Win: The passing game. Ohio’s secondary was supposed to be the negative of the defense coming into the season, and it was picked apart by an Aggie passing game that’s going to bomb away in every game to try to keep up with its lousy defense. QB Andrew Manley threw for 362 yards and two touchdowns, spreading the wealth around to four main targets. USC was able to light up Minnesota like a Christmas tree with one star, Woods, who caught 17 passes for 177 yards and three scores, while Barkley threw it 45 times. Manley will put it up at least 45 times and he’ll keep the pressure on the Minnesota secondary all game long.

Why Minnesota Might Win: The Gophers should be able to run wild all game long. The ground game never got going against USC’s terrific defensive front, but there won’t be the same sort of problems against an Aggie defensive line that had no chance whatsoever last week against the Bobcats. Ohio tore off 241 yards and three touchdowns with five different players running for 33 yards or more, and with quarterback Tyler Tettleton running for 40 yards and two scores. Kill would love for Minnesota to be a running team, and this is the chance to become on. Defensively, forget about any semblance of a New Mexico State running game; the Gopher linebackers will spend all their time worrying about the midrange passing game.

What To Watch Out For: The Minnesota quarterback situation suddenly became interesting. There wasn’t any question going into the season about who the main man was going to be, with MarQueis Gray expected to become a special star in the Kill attack. He struggled against USC, completing 7-of-12 passes for 94 yards while running 16 times for 47 yards, and then he got dinged up and replaced by true freshman Max Shortell, who came up with a solid game considering he was thrown to the wolves. The 6-4, 205-pounder isn’t nearly the runner that Gray is, but he can throw. However, if Minnesota is going anywhere this year, Gray has to be fantastic.

New Mexico State’s defensive front is so lousy that the secondary has to clean up too many messes, and that’s where Donyae Coleman comes in. The 5-10, 187-pounder stepped in from Compton College as a wide receiver and saw a little time on the offensive side, but he quickly showed that he can produce as a defensive back with 92 tackles. Last week he made 14 stops with a pick and a fumble return. If he’s not the best defensive player on the field, he’ll be a close second.

What Will Happen: Kill will rotate the quarterbacks, and they’ll both produce. Gray will bounceback to run for at least two scores, while Shortell will get meaningful minutes to get a bit more time in the system. Manley and the Aggies will throw for well over 300 yards, but it won’t be nearly enough against a Gopher attack that should explode.

CFN Prediction: Minnesota 48 … New Mexico State 23

Is that "our" Dewayne Walker" as in former Gopher and assistant/DC(/) at UCLA? This is the stuff that drives me (and I'm assuming Husker) crazy about the local media. Why no story like Former Gopher coming home?

Is that "our" Dewayne Walker" as in former Gopher and assistant/DC(/) at UCLA? This is the stuff that drives me (and I'm assuming Husker) crazy about the local media. Why no story like Former Gopher coming home?

Is CFN a local outlet? Or was it written by a local guy? I'm asking because I don't know.

Yes indeed it is.

Is CFN a local outlet? Or was it written by a local guy? I'm asking because I don't know.

CFN isn't, but you'd think the local papers would play up on our opponents coach being a former Gopher player.

BTW Thanks Iceland12 for confirming my assumption.

IDK. He just did not seem real relaxed

I hate statements like this. How in the F do you know if the kicker was relaxed or not???!!!

You probably just thought this because YOU weren't relaxed.

Dude, the kicker is just standing there before the kick. It's not like they showed him on the sidelines pacing and rapidly chewing his fingers down to the bone. There's no way you could ever tell if he was nervous, calm, tired, pissed, happy, high on drugs, etc.

I just can't stand when posters think they know the feelings a player is going through. The thought that you know what is going on in a players' mind is so absurdly ridiculous it should be met with an immediate ban from Gopherhole.

ESPN's prediction:

"NEW MEXICO STATE at MINNESOTA

Brian Bennett: The Aggies are bad. Real bad. Perfect opponent for Jerry Kill's debut, as Troy Stoudermire sets Big Ten return record ... Minnesota 35, NMSU 14

Adam Rittenberg: You worry a bit about a letdown as Minnesota has been hearing how impressive they looked in the opener at USC. The Gophers start off a little slowly before MarQueis Gray and the offense surge against the Aggies. ... Minnesota 31, NMSU 13"

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/32251/page/Picks/big-ten-predictions-week-2-2

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom