New member from Des Moines

maliksealy

Reaction score
Hi all...been lurking in this forum for over a year now...don't know why it took me so long to join. I'm a huge gopher hoops fan for many years now. I currently live in West Des Moines, IA and originally from the Cambridge, MN area. Grew up going to most all home games in the 90's..dad had season tickets.

Go Gophers!

Welcome Malik, always nice to have more Gopher fans join the Hole.

thanks..my bro in law has 2 student season tickets this year..he's a grad student at carlson...looking to make the 4 hour drive up to get rowdy a few times during the big ten season!!

Welcome. There are a few of us in Iowegia!

I'm from Saint Charles down the I-35 road about 35 miles. DL65 is from Knoxville. Another guy posts as DesMoinesGopher, I think he lives near downtown somewhere. I might be missing a coupl've guys. It's funny where life takes you, esp. w/ Grad School & work. Sometimes it gets hard being a Gopher fan down here (try sticking up for Adam Weber in discussions with your co-workers and get serenaded 55-0, 55-0!). But we all in our various ways keep up the GOPHER faith.

For whatever reason we don't seem to have many posters who live in Wisconsin???

DL65 has done a survey in the past and probably has a better handle on our demographic than most....

The drive up I-35 is usually not too bad. With family issues I haven't been making it much lately, but I see a lot of Drake games with my father-in-law. Hope to see them dominate Hawkeye nation on Saturday.

Ski-uh-mah!

For whatever reason we don't seem to have many posters who live in Wisconsin???

I'm in Milwaukee and I want to say Pewterschmidt is in Madison? Isn't Bayfield in Wisconsin too? I think there are a few more as well, especially on the football board.

Welcome to the board. As Anderson stated, I too am a Minnesota transplant down here in Iowa. I live in Ankeny and work in Urbandale. Moved down here for law school in 2003, married a girl from northwest Iowa, and have now fully engrossed myself in life down here.

Oddly, it is kind of fun to be one of the only Gopher fans around here. My Goldy driver headcover stirs up a lot of conversations on tee box...and as was stated earlier, a lot of jabs about our football program. Fortunately, our basketball team is compensating and has given me some ability to run some smack back.

On a similar note, I am a member of the Alumni Association and was wondering if any of the Iowa residents know any information about an Iowa/Des Moines chapter.

Welcome.

I'm pretty new to the board too - a couple of weeks ago at most. Also a MN native and UM alum. Down here in IA for a dozen years or so. It is kind of fun to wear the maroon and gold among the Hawkeye mafia. Currently living in Urbandale. I'm curious about any formal or informal alumni gatherings in central Iowa as well.

Here's hoping for a surprisingly good BB season. That 55-0 day was a very tough day! Never was a Brewster fan and am less of one now.

awesome to hear from you all... I will be attending the Iowa/Drake game Saturday with some buddies from iowa city sporting my new blue drake t-shirt....game time is at 3:05, so I probably will miss the ending of the min/louisville game...DesMoinesGopher, do you play golf at Briarwood? I played golf at Central College in Pella.

Anderson, I'm currently dating a nice young lady who grew up in Saint Charles...haha!

Briarwood was my "home" course...but now that it is going private, that will no longer be the case. I pondered joining all summer, but just could not bring myself to join. If Briarwood had a few less houses and better greens, I would have given it more thought, but I think Tournament Club of Iowa will be my main course next year. It is still real close to my house, and the course is always in great shape (that is, unless 17 and 18 flood like they did this past season)...so I think that will be where I will play the most. Then again, Woodland Hills in the southern part of Ankeny is also a fun track to play. Aside from the guys in jean shorts and sleeveless shirts, the course is actually not that bad. It is short, but requires some shot making skills because of the small greens.

Malik,

If you ever want to feel really great about the Goph's FB stadium (past, present and future) go see a Bulldog's game at the Drake stadium. I took my son and some of his friends there for his BD last month. I don't think there's a HS stadium in central IA that is that . . . . humble and sedate.

I went to my first Drake BB game just a few weeks ago against Texas PanAmerican ( I'd never heard of them either). The dogs play interesting and at time inspired ball. Not a big ten venue but we had fun. easy in / easy out parking too. Tip . . . . park on the street facing west - much easier to get out facing that way.

Been down in the Burlington, IA area for a little over a year now. Grew up in west central MN. The 55-0 game was tough, especially when I was at a house full of hawkeye fans. But I still wear my Gopher gear proudly whenever I can. I, at least, have a co-worker who is an Iowa St. fan so at least I have someone else that likes to make fun of IA.

I work at an engineering office - equal mix of IA & ISU

Actually get some pretty good conversations going sometimes about the relative merits of each school and its athletics program/s.

I'm one of the senior people so have done a lot of hiring of some of the "kids". I think we have a mix of 5 ISU 4 Iowa, about equal male/female. Kind've funny cuz in Iowa the "real" engineering school is definitely the one in Ames, at least by reputation. My impression is they are pretty equal in value, both good schools. Personally, I truly enjoyed my experience in Minnesota and it has served me well.....

We also get a lot of Big 10 is better/Big 12 is better conversations. After 24 years down here, all I will say is it depends on the year.

The one guy who did his Master's degree at LSU also likes to stir things up by saying that the *real* football is played in the Southeastern conference.

Top Bottom