New Lineup for Wisconsin Game?

Blizzard

Reaction score
Well according to Myron-

With the Gophers needing a miracle finish to get into the NCAA tournament, coach Tubby Smith told reporters Wednesday that he might start Colton Iverson and Ralph Sampson III when his team faces No. 14 Wisconsin Thursday night at Williams Arena.

He said either Lawrence Westbrook or Devoe Joseph would come off the bench in that scenario. Blake Hoffarber would likely move to point guard.

Smith used the Twin Towers lineup for the majority of the 2008-09 season but he's rarely employed the combo this season.

"We may, depends on how big, we'll probably look at Ralph and Colton in the lineup together," Smith said. "That's something that's starting to materialize as we go down [the stretch]. And I think a lot of it has to do with the teams that you're matched up against. Who can they guard and how much zone we play, how much man to man we play and how much we press. All those things will dictate."

Smith said the duo will help the team on the boards and allow both big men to play where they're most comfortable.

"I think they give us a high-low look that we haven't really had ... some real beef," he said. "Probably gives Ralph a chance to get away from the basket because he's more comfortable ... away from the basket. And Colton is more of a physical player inside. That's what I think we'll do. ... We've played them in practice some together but not much."

One source close to the team said the lineup switch might be the team's last shot to turn things around. "That might save us," he said.

"Probably gives Ralph a chance to get away from the basket because he's more comfortable ... away from the basket.

Sorry .. lol .. ya think Tub' ?

If we are going away from the 3 guard lineup, I'd much rather have DJ, Carter and Sampson. Carter is playing with great confidence right now.

Only problem for me is I'd rather see Hoff off the ball, but him playing point to get the offense initiated shouldn't be too bad, he'll still get his looks off the ball. Wouldn't mind seeing Westbrook come off the bench angry and attack a second unit. I think I'd rather see him benched than Devoe.

Sounds like Leuer is going to play. Hopefully, From the Barn will be able to take credit for it. :) Can't wait for the game.

Our guards cannot stop the dribble penetration without Nolen. As such, it makes sense to try and clog the middle a bit more and prevent the easy baskets we have been giving up of late. I'm all for it... its not like what we have been doing is working.

Agree with Rouser. At this point trying anything is worth a shot.

However, I'm more concerned with how we finish the game than start it. That's been the much more glaring issue in all the close losses.

Agree with Rouser. At this point trying anything is worth a shot.

However, I'm more concerned with how we finish the game than start it. That's been the much more glaring issue in all the close losses.

Yeah, we are always in it right until the end. Then, the last 5 minutes come... At that point in every game, I am just waiting for another Westbrook turnover on a critical possession.

That lineup may cause some problems on the defensive end for the Gophers. I assume they would have to play zone. Hoff certainly will not keep Taylor or Hughes out of the lane. Would assume he would have to guard Bohannon if the Gophers played man. That leaves Johnson on Taylor or Hughes, which would be no bargain either.

Tubby may want to try and create some mismatches on the other end with that lineup. The Gophers would certainly have a height advantage, though that has only hurt the Badgers once this year. Taylor would probably be on Johnson in this case.

Will be an interesting game.

I seem to recall Westbrook making some critical late-game big shots, too. It has worked both ways. The Gophers' late-game issues aren't a Lawrence Westbrook thing, they're a team thing.

But I agree with what you're saying about the last 5 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of any game that is remotely close, I find myself thinking, "When is the meltdown going to start?" There have been a few Monson flashbacks this season. This season it's been a matter of when the Gophers will start wrapping hands around their throats, not if. And I'm sure each and every one of their opponents is aware of that. It's a tough cycle to get out of. The only way maybe to snap out of it is to grind one out at the finish line instead of letting another one slip away.

Do we choke more than any other school in the conference? Country?

I don't follow other teams as closely, obviously, but since I went to Minnesota in 2000 it just seems that we can't finish out games in any sport. Coaching changes don't seem to affect the outcome. It is getting to the point where I just laugh it off.

The worst part is that I don't watch sports with Minnesota fans anymore. My friends are so quick to call the game in favor of Minnesota, and I tell them it's not over. I have been told congratulations on the win for the Insight Bowl before Gray's fumble, the Michigan State game, and the Northwestern game over the weekend.

Is there some Billy Goat or Bambino curse that hasn't been publicized?

That lineup may cause some problems on the defensive end for the Gophers. I assume they would have to play zone. Hoff certainly will not keep Taylor or Hughes out of the lane. Would assume he would have to guard Bohannon if the Gophers played man. That leaves Johnson on Taylor or Hughes, which would be no bargain either.

Tubby may want to try and create some mismatches on the other end with that lineup. The Gophers would certainly have a height advantage, though that has only hurt the Badgers once this year. Taylor would probably be on Johnson in this case.

Will be an interesting game.

If you've seen our last several games- post Nolen- then you know that it CAN'T POSSIBLY hurt the defense. We can't complain about our defense- there is none.

We have had our share of gags, that's for sure. The "Illinois game" (enough said) in basketball and Mason's final game vs. Kansas are two that come immediately to mind, and there are a ton from which to choose.

I remember talking to my out-of-state brother on the phone at halftime of the Kansas Insight Bowl and trying to convince him that the game was far from over, that the Gophers still could find a way to choke it away. He didn't think they could blow that big of a lead. The rest, they say, was history.

If we are going away from the 3 guard lineup, I'd much rather have DJ, Carter and Sampson. Carter is playing with great confidence right now.

Agreed. But also looking forward to seeing Colt and Samps back on the block together.

But I agree with what you're saying about the last 5 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of any game that is remotely close, I find myself thinking, "When is the meltdown going to start?" There have been a few Monson flashbacks this season. This season it's been a matter of when the Gophers will start wrapping hands around their throats, not if. And I'm sure each and every one of their opponents is aware of that. It's a tough cycle to get out of. The only way maybe to snap out of it is to grind one out at the finish line instead of letting another one slip away.

They just start slowing it down trying to take time off the clock. That's what they're supposed to do but it takes them out of their game and what's made them successful. The Gophers are far from a run and gun team but there's a certain rhythm that they're comfortable in. Slowing them down is not that rhythm and it reveals the weaknesses in their passing game which results in turnovers, which leads to blown leads, which leads to frustration, lack of confidence, coaches and fans pulling their hair out, messageboards melting down .. but it's the right strategy .. right?

Is there some Billy Goat or Bambino curse that hasn't been publicized?

There was probably a badger buried in the underlayment of the new floor.

Our guards cannot stop the dribble penetration without Nolen. As such, it makes sense to try and clog the middle a bit more and prevent the easy baskets we have been giving up of late. I'm all for it... its not like what we have been doing is working.

Very true. I have said that in my previous posts too. I have been waiting for the twin towers to come back again. Ralph is more like a PF than a center. Colt is great if he has someone to rely on when he goes for the layup. Otherwise, he is to afraid of missing it. This is such a good news.

Go Gophers.

They just start slowing it down trying to take time off the clock. That's what they're supposed to do but it takes them out of their game and what's made them successful. The Gophers are far from a run and gun team but there's a certain rhythm that they're comfortable in. Slowing them down is not that rhythm and it reveals the weaknesses in their passing game which results in turnovers, which leads to blown leads, which leads to frustration, lack of confidence, coaches and fans pulling their hair out, messageboards melting down .. but it's the right strategy .. right?

I'm far from an X and O guy, but I notice that there is almost no movement until the point guard begins to attempt to break down the defense. When that starts late in the clock the defense only has to do it's job for 5 or 10 seconds. Teams like Wisky take it to the last seconds in the clock often. However, by the time they take a shot you have been chasing them for 25 seconds and a breakdown becomes more likely. So yeah, to me it's not the game plan but the offensive scheme that ruins us late in the game. We are more successful when we push it because our normal offense stinks so badly.

Interesting that the starting lineup last year vs. Badgers at home was:

G Blake
G Devoe
F DJ
F RSIII
C Colt

We got very little production out of that starting backcourt though.

FINALLY!!!

Iverson and Sampson together inside will be a force on defense! The shots that will be altered/blocked by them should cause other teams guards to think twice before attacking the basket.

Yes, and then take the first open look you get every time. Tubby said after the last game that their half court offense stinks, so I say get rid of it. Not the run and gun stuff of Loyola Marymount in the late eighties, but pick it up a notch or two. Why not try it?

I watched part of the Miss St/Kentucky game and they were taking a lot of shots within the first 10 seconds. Don't let the defense get set and comfortable every time down. Maybe the players would like it, maybe recruits would like seeing it. What's the worst that could happen, we lose?

It doesn't appear to be an idea that will happen though (unless it's off a defensive turnover). Has Tubby ever run a quicker offense as far as getting shots off?

I don't think we will see any crazy line-up shakeups.

Traditional coaches don't veer to far from what they believe in. At least at mid/late season.
they all have huge egos. Rarely do they admit to a mistake.

Iverson and Sampson together inside will be a force on defense! The shots that will be altered/blocked by them should cause other teams guards to think twice before attacking the basket.

Teams wont try to drive on us they will just shoot 3s cause we dont guard 3s for some reason.

Yes, and then take the first open look you get every time. Tubby said after the last game that their half court offense stinks, so I say get rid of it. Not the run and gun stuff of Loyola Marymount in the late eighties, but pick it up a notch or two. Why not try it?

I watched part of the Miss St/Kentucky game and they were taking a lot of shots within the first 10 seconds. Don't let the defense get set and comfortable every time down. Maybe the players would like it, maybe recruits would like seeing it. What's the worst that could happen, we lose?

It doesn't appear to be an idea that will happen though (unless it's off a defensive turnover). Has Tubby ever run a quicker offense as far as getting shots off?

Yes- against all the weak sisters we hammered earlier in the year.

Top Bottom