New Katz Rankings: Gophers 16th

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Gophers are 16th. Six Big Ten teams are in the top 25 including three in the top ten. Finally some respect!

Link

Interesting viewpoints, but to be honest, to consider Michigan a Big Ten title contender? I'll believe that when I see it.

Otherwise, I agree, nice to see the conference getting some respect.

Lemme guess the Big Ten teams, Minnesota, Michigan State, Purdue, Penn State, Michigan and Illinois? Makes sense when you think about it I guess. Which one of those teams (of they're correct) can you omit? None, really.

Why don't you just read the article before making that comment. Penn State is losing way too much to be put in the top 25.
________
Buy vaporizers

If Sims can play every game like he did in both games against the Gophers this past season, I think Michigan is definitely a title contender.

Why don't you just read the article before making that comment. Penn State is losing way too much to be put in the top 25.

Geez, I hope you forgive me for not seeing the small 'Link' on the original post. Ok then, it's Ohio State instead of Penn State. I knew someone was going to correct me on that. I understand PSU is losing a lot, and I don't think they'll even sniff the top 25, but the Lions still have the best scoring PG in the conference as well as a couple promising forwards in Jeff Brooks and Andrew Jones.

The Gophers' rise from relative irrelevance since Tubby arrived would be so much easier and more glorious if Michigan wasn't doing the exact same thing over there too with Beilein!!

finallly... the drunken sconi's can go back to their rightful spot in the bottom half of the big ten!

Cant Wait!!

Where is Becky? In her rightful place...on the outide looking in!! Now let's here all the talk about how great a coach Bo is!

Gottlieb has the Gophers at #23 for those without Insider and says this:

23. Minnesota: Everyone is back and should be better and the incoming class may be the best in the Big Ten. Royce White will make the Gophers much more athletic inside and either Ralph Sampson or Colton Iverson will emerge as a go-to presence in the low post. I'm slotting them at 23, but that may prove to be too low of a ranking for this group.

Gottlieb has the Gophers at #23 for those without Insider and says this:

23. Minnesota: Everyone is back and should be better and the incoming class may be the best in the Big Ten. Royce White will make the Gophers much more athletic inside and either Ralph Sampson or Colton Iverson will emerge as a go-to presence in the low post. I'm slotting them at 23, but that may prove to be too low of a ranking for this group.

I think ALL basketball rankings this time of year are ridiculous. I love the Gophers, and 23 seems OK for me.
Hopefully Minnesota can shoot better from downtown, find a half-court offense and improve its overall consistency. Until that happens, 23 might be a peak, not a starting point.

I think ALL basketball rankings this time of year are ridiculous. I love the Gophers, and 23 seems OK for me.
Hopefully Minnesota can shoot better from downtown, find a half-court offense and improve its overall consistency. Until that happens, 23 might be a peak, not a starting point.

Why is a ranking ridiculous? For the most part we know exactly as much about each team as we will in the fall except for the guys who eventually withdraw their names from the draft. We won't know anything more about this team other than who did what in the Pro-Am (forgot the name) league this summer and who gained weight.

I would not count the Badgers out yet. The next time they finish out of the top 4 in the Big Ten under Bo will be the first.

There are enough pieces in place to have a nice team. Badgers will need some people to continue to improve as well as get some small contributions from some newcomers.

Two senior starting guards is a good place to start.

Should be a fun year.

Too bad it is not even May yet.

I think ALL basketball rankings this time of year are ridiculous.

Really? At what point do they become "not rediculous"?

Really? At what point do they become "not rediculous"?

The season ended a month ago! Believe me, I'm as excited as anyone about 2009-10, but let's not jump the gun here. Once the players hit the floor together as college teammates, anything can happen. I'd like to see last year's 2008-09 April Top 25. I'm sure a handful of teams would be pretty close (UNC, Duke, Michigan State, etc,), but I'd bet there would be just as many inaccurate predictions.

The season ended a month ago! Believe me, I'm as excited as anyone about 2009-10, but let's not jump the gun here. Once the players hit the floor together as college teammates, anything can happen. I'd like to see last year's 2008-09 April Top 25. I'm sure a handful of teams would be pretty close (UNC, Duke, Michigan State, etc,), but I'd bet there would be just as many inaccurate predictions.

Off the top of my head the teams that were supposed to be very good this past season:

UNC - check
MSU - check
Purdue - Injuries hampered season, still Sweet 16 - check
Duke - check
Louisville - check
UConn - check
UCLA - not top 10 but still top 25
Notre Dame - notable failure
Oklahoma - check
Pitt - check

IMO, a preseason poll right now will be close to as accurate as a preseason pick in October. There are still a few recruits to commit and a players that won't sign with an agent and will stay in school which will change the polls but outside of that the polls won't change much. Whether or not the media can accurately forecast the next season is another question and a poll in early March means more than a poll in October.

Blue Ribbon from October

This isn't April of 2008, but here's how Blue Ribbon ranked the teams in the preseason (October).

1. North Carolina (champs)
2. Pittsburgh (Elite 8)
3. Notre Dame (bust city)
4. UCLA (2nd round)
5. Connecticut (Final 4)
6. Oklahoma (Elite 8)
7. Louisville (Elite 8)
8. Duke (Sweet 16)
9. Tennessee (1st round exit)
10. Texas (2nd round)
11. Memphis (Sweet 16)
12. Purdue (Sweet 16)
13. Michigan State (runner-up)
14. Miami (bust)
15. Arizona State (2nd round)
16. Baylor (bust)
17. Kansas (Sweet 16)
18. Marquette (2nd round)
19. Saint Mary's (NIT)
20. Syracuse (Sweet 16)
21. Gonzaga (Sweet 16)
22. Villanova (Final 4)
23. USC (2nd round)
24. Wisconsin (2nd round)
25. Washington (2nd round)

#1, #5, #13 and #22 made it to the Final 4. All in all, not a bad job.

Oh Oh !!!

This isn't April of 2008, but here's how Blue Ribbon ranked the teams in the preseason (October).

1. North Carolina (champs)
2. Pittsburgh (Elite 8)
3. Notre Dame (bust city)
4. UCLA (2nd round)
5. Connecticut (Final 4)
6. Oklahoma (Elite 8)
7. Louisville (Elite 8)
8. Duke (Sweet 16)
9. Tennessee (1st round exit)
10. Texas (2nd round)
11. Memphis (Sweet 16)
12. Purdue (Sweet 16)
13. Michigan State (runner-up)
14. Miami (bust)
15. Arizona State (2nd round)
16. Baylor (bust)
17. Kansas (Sweet 16)
18. Marquette (2nd round)
19. Saint Mary's (NIT)
20. Syracuse (Sweet 16)
21. Gonzaga (Sweet 16)
22. Villanova (Final 4)
23. USC (2nd round)
24. Wisconsin (2nd round)
25. Washington (2nd round)

#1, #5, #13 and #22 made it to the Final 4. All in all, not a bad job.

Oh Oh ! He has us rated #16. That is the same as Baylor last year. They were a big BUST !!!

:mad: :eek: :mad: :eek:

Apples to oranges, Section 201. We're talking Katz's Top 25 vs. Blue Ribbon Top 25-I figure the Blue Ribbon preseason Top 25 will put the Gophers at #13 or #22 :cool02:

ooops

Apples to oranges, Section 201. We're talking Katz's Top 25 vs. Blue Ribbon Top 25-I figure the Blue Ribbon preseason Top 25 will put the Gophers at #13 or #22 :cool02:

drat, my degraded comprehension skills are showing again. :eek: :eek: :eek:

The season ended a month ago! Believe me, I'm as excited as anyone about 2009-10, but let's not jump the gun here.

A) Fans can do whatever they want unless we should clear all threads with you before we post them.

B) Don't click on a thread in April talking about preseason rankings. Problem solved.

Top Bottom