New In-State Offer

A) He was a sprinter?

B) You're wrong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0i1NEz_8_U

I'm not wrong. This video proves my rightness

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nda_OSWeyn8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nda_OSWeyn8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ok, Matt Jones was football slow which is why he was a first round NFL pick for a position he'd never played.

He was a first round pick because he ran a 4.37 (or 4.33 - don't remember) at the combine. Before that, he was no where near the top of anyone's draft board.

So to answer your original query. With the combine serving as the small sample size of "sprinting," and Matt being considered a "fast sprinter" - he was considered very slow in the NFL. He couldn't even come close to breaking away from defenders with or without the ball.

Football speed is a complete cliche that is much more meaningless than 100m times. Name a fast sprinter who was slow in football.

Football speed is the ability to get back to top speed after changing directions. Some people look more at the 60m dash since some sprinters are showcase as fast at top speed then they are at getting to top speed. The key for a receiver would be the ability to close ground quickly and getting out of breaks when running routes. Those type of things are what people call football speed.

Football speed is the ability to get back to top speed after changing directions. Some people look more at the 60m dash since some sprinters are showcase as fast at top speed then they are at getting to top speed. The key for a receiver would be the ability to close ground quickly and getting out of breaks when running routes. Those type of things are what people call football speed.

He ran a 6.88 60M this year and set the meet record at the UofM indoor classic. Kid can move.

He was a first round pick because he ran a 4.37 (or 4.33 - don't remember) at the combine. Before that, he was no where near the top of anyone's draft board.

So to answer your original query. With the combine serving as the small sample size of "sprinting," and Matt being considered a "fast sprinter" - he was considered very slow in the NFL. He couldn't even come close to breaking away from defenders with or without the ball.

Matt Jones was considered slow in the NFL. Ah, ok, yep, you make a really great point here. It wasn't that he's never played the position and had a coke problem. It was that he's slow and can't break away from defenders with the ball (ignore the video I posted of him consistently running right past SEC d backs). You must have gone to the Matt Millen school for football knowledge.

That's the difference between quickness and speed. Not football speed and regular speed. Wes Welker is quick and not fast. Plenty of NFL WRs are not particularly fast, such as Cris Carter.
There's a lot more to the position that just speed. That being said, THERE IS NO QUESTION THAT THIS KID IS FAST, I CANNOT BELIEVE THE POSTERS STILL TRYING TO ARGUE THIS POINT.

Did you ever watch a Jaguars game when he played for them? He was slow.

That's the difference between quickness and speed. Not football speed and regular speed. Wes Welker is quick and not fast. Plenty of NFL WRs are not particularly fast, such as Cris Carter.
There's a lot more to the position that just speed. That being said, THERE IS NO QUESTION THAT THIS KID IS FAST, I CANNOT BELIEVE THE POSTERS STILL TRYING TO ARGUE THIS POINT.

You were the one to question football speed as a cliche. That is when I mentioned that a better performance of track time is the 60m, which Ole helped out and posted. Now you are hitting the caps locks. Take a deep breath, and take some time to read the posts.

PS. You are getting trolled hard by the sugar drink.

Speed and quickness are vastly over-rated. As are height, weight, hands, route running, and intelligence. Alacrity is the new metric, and the only thing that matters.

Speed and quickness are vastly over-rated. As are height, weight, hands, route running, and intelligence. Alacrity is the new metric, and the only thing that matters.

For those who didn't know:

alacrity
The speed with which a spellcaster can dissipate the residue of magical energy that remains after performing a spell-equivalent action. Six seconds (measured from the start of the action) is standard.

For those who didn't know:

nerd
The post above this one.
Just busting your chops...don't take it personally.

Serious question, can you read?
Things I didn't say:
That straight line speed is all that matters in football.
That he would be the next great football player for the gophers.
That track speed makes for great players or that Troy Williamson was a great football player.
That I am enamored with this kid.

I said he was fast. That's it. It's not in question.

You are correct my friend. I can't read at all. Completely illiterate. Its a miracle that I was able to put these funny little symbols together to make words. How I managed sentences is beyond me.

First of all stating he's fast just say he is fast is rather redundant. He's the state champ in the 100 in MN.

Next, if your defending him so adamantly on a site dedicated to gopher football. There's an implication that you are using his track speed as an indicator of what he may display on the football field. Since this thread is discussing his recent offer from the gopher football team.

I wouldnt call one good year at south carolina from troy williamson a good college career.

Lastly, if you can't see my point about track speed not being an indicator of football skills you may be as hopeless as me.

Have a good day Boss.

You are correct my friend. I can't read at all. Completely illiterate. Its a miracle that I was able to put these funny little symbols together to make words. How I managed sentences is beyond me.

First of all stating he's fast just say he is fast is rather redundant. He's the state champ in the 100 in MN.

Next, if your defending him so adamantly on a site dedicated to gopher football. There's an implication that you are using his track speed as an indicator of what he may display on the football field. Since this thread is discussing his recent offer from the gopher football team.

I wouldnt call one good year at south carolina from troy williamson a good college career.

Lastly, if you can't see my point about track speed not being an indicator of football skills you may be as hopeless as me.

Have a good day Boss.

Read the thread Boss. Some guy posted that he looks very slow and plodding on film. All I said is that the guy is fast and that his speed is not in question. His film looks pretty good to me, I hope we land him. I would also like to have seen some debate on his skills or chances to make an impact at the next level, but it got into a riveting discussion about "football speed" and troy williamson (and I never said Troy had a good college career, so keep trying boss). Never ever said track speed is an indicator of football skills. You're joking about it, but can you not see that you consistently bring up points I never made? I only made one point. He's fast. You may think that's redundant but there are 3 pages of people arguing with me about it. Tell them it's redundant.

You said speed is speed. All I'm saying is that's not the case. Being fast on a track does not mean he is fast on a football field. That is the truth.

Translating track speed to the football speed is a legitimate question but if a player is slow there's nothing to translate. It's all about variables, every one you eliminate, lowers the risk in taking a player. In this case the kid has good track speed the chances of it translating on the field are good, not guaranteed, but it's positive. I also bet that the coaches have a very good idea how it translates after evaluating him in the 7 on seven passing tournament.

Translating track speed to the football speed is a legitimate question but if a player is slow there's nothing to translate. It's all about variables, every one you eliminate, lowers the risk in taking a player. In this case the kid has good track speed the chances of it translating on the field are good, not guaranteed, but it's positive. I also bet that the coaches have a very good idea how it translates after evaluating him in the 7 on seven passing tournament.

A great point that the whole thread has ignored, he was offered after he was evaluated playing ball in the 7 on 7 passing league. He seems to have good ball skills(aka not TWilly)
I still think this is a great prospect, who will need to RS and get stronger and quicker, he does seem to be slow to pick up speed in his video, but isn't caught once he gets there.
IMO and I don't have any firsthand knowledge, he probably isn't as strong or explosive in the weight room as he could be, this is fixable and once he can learn to play fast in and out of cuts he could be great. Hoping for a commit from the young man.

Top Bottom