New Grad Transfer- Val Martin

"My job is to find somebody better to take your job away." Go PJ! Are these transfers the inspiration for "we will be a good football team next year"?
Pump the breaks....Val is transferring because he didn't play much. Hopefully, we see something he does that can help.

More good stuff.

These bowls are fun to watch, but I'm glad the staff prioritized upgrading their roster during this stretch

Probably means Dew-Treadway is gone. Doubt Martin will be more than a rotational piece on the interior but good to have someone experienced with some of these younger guys like Carter and Cheney that will be asked to take on bigger roles next year

Dont expect MDT or Teague to be back, maybe Hickox as well. Need some experience with Schad at dt with the youngsters.

From my boy who covers the ACC for ESPN:

"Backup. Saw role decline in 2020. Really didn't play much at all under the new DC. Big body in the middle but haven't seen anything too special. Their starting DTs were really good though so hard to say whether playing time was his fault or just better options."

Sounds like some extra depth at DT. wonder if MDT or Teague will not be returning?

Val Martin only has one year left to play. He obviously wants to play some football so that's good.

He’s started multiple games in his career, and nc st typically has a pretty good d line. Good addition with so much youth at that spot.

Lack of stats playing time is a concern. This is a little different than getting Smith from Alabama or Dew-Treadway from Notre Dame. If you want to be an optomist, NC State had a DT and DE drafted in 2020 and two DT's drafted and two DE's (including Bradley Chubb at #5 overall) in 2018. Maybe they are DL U and Val Martin is going to make an impact!

We have a lot of upperclassmen DTs that seem to be unknowns.
Hickox seems like a potential candidate to transfer. He was likely going to be a backup, earn his degree, have two years of eligibility remaining and could get significant run at another program.
It would be MDT's 7th year.
Rumors are Teague is quitting football.
I'm not even 100% certain Schad will return. I hope he does, but I think that SR class is a bit of an unknown.

Lack of stats playing time is a concern. This is a little different than getting Smith from Alabama or Dew-Treadway from Notre Dame. If you want to be an optomist, NC State had a DT and DE drafted in 2020 and two DT's drafted and two DE's (including Bradley Chubb at #5 overall) in 2018. Maybe they are DL U and Val Martin is going to make an impact!
They had a stud at dt this year too, Alim Mcneil has already announced hes going pro.

"Backup. Saw role decline in 2020. Really didn't play much at all under the new DC. Big body in the middle but haven't seen anything too special. Their starting DTs were really good though so hard to say whether playing time was his fault or just better options."

Sounds like some extra depth at DT. wonder if MDT or Teague will not be returning?

They also just landed a FSU transfer at DT who has two years of eligibility remaining.

View the Martin addition this way- Hickox likely won’t be back for his senior year, so we get Martin to replace Hickox for one season. This also ensures we get a valuable scholarship for the 2022 class.

NC State runs a 3-4 defense, so he was playing out of position there. Evidently, NC State also thinks of themselves as DTU, as they have put quite a few guys in the NFL over the past few years.

It'll be interesting to see how things shake out at DT. I like his size, it'll be nice to add some depth on the DL if nothing else.

It'll be interesting to see how things shake out at DT. I like his size, it'll be nice to add some depth on the DL if nothing else.

Even if he is just a rotational piece it is a nice pickup. Especially if, as some have reported, Teague is done with football (would be a shame because he looked to have some nice potential).

Not every player is going to be a superstar, you need those guys that can come in and give the starters a break as well without being a massive dropoff.

Going to be interesting to see how all the rosters shake out over the next few weeks as guys declare what their intentions are for next year. Early indication certainly seems to be that Fleck is actively out there looking for some transfers which is a sign that they want to do whatever they can to be good in 2021 by bolstering the roster with guys that have already matured as opposed to waiting on young guys to develop fully. You don't bring in one year guys like Gibbons (LB) and Martin (DT) if you don't feel like they can help you out right away.

We have a lot of upperclassmen DTs that seem to be unknowns.
Hickox seems like a potential candidate to transfer. He was likely going to be a backup, earn his degree, have two years of eligibility remaining and could get significant run at another program.
It would be MDT's 7th year.
Rumors are Teague is quitting football.
I'm not even 100% certain Schad will return. I hope he does, but I think that SR class is a bit of an unknown.
This.

Hickcox was little used. He got meaningful reps this year when a lot of DL were out with covid. Makes sense as a transfer.

I'm very cool rolling with Cheney and Carter as the starters, and Richter and VM (and Schad if he's back) as the backups, plus other younger guys if they're ready to contribute (MJ Anderson a 3tech or the bigger DE position?).

A public comment from Burns on 247 re: Martin:

This is the guy that Murphy tweeted about.

Minnesota wanted a guy to give depth at the three-technique with Schad for 2021, and here he is. Cheney will also be in the mix here, but it gives the 2019/2020 DL class another year in the weight room before it's all them in 2022.

What makes people think Hickcox is likely gone? Do people just assume every upper classman that hasn’t played much will leave?

What makes people think Hickcox is likely gone? Do people just assume every upper classman that hasn’t played much will leave?
If you aren't playing much by your fourth year in the program, why stay? Some probably do that, and that's fine. Not saying he should lose his scholarship if he stays.

But ... don't you want to play?

Here is how Burns sees it shaking out (again from a public comments thread):

I believe he'll (MDT) be back for another year, but I'm not expecting Elijah Teague or Noah Hickcox back.
---
So you're 2021 DT's would be.
1-tech: Carter (year 3) or MDT (year 7) / Martin (year 5)
3-tech: Schad (year 5) / Martin (year 5) / Cheney (year 3)
---
Then with MDT / Schad / Martin all gone in 2022, you'd be looking at.
1-tech: Carter (year 4) / Schuster (year 2) or Richter (year 3)
3-tech: Cheney (year 4) / Anderson (year 4) or Keys (year 3) or Eastern (year 2)

Now what Burns says is not always gospel, but he is certainly more plugged in than an average fan.

A public comment from Burns on 247 re: Martin:

This is the guy that Murphy tweeted about.

Minnesota wanted a guy to give depth at the three-technique with Schad for 2021, and here he is. Cheney will also be in the mix here, but it gives the 2019/2020 DL class another year in the weight room before it's all them in 2022.
If Schad and Cheney are the main 3tech, then who is backing up/rotating in at Nose with Carter, then? Assuming Dew is not coming back.

Richter?

EDIT: you snuck your post in above, that answers this. Thank you

If you aren't playing much by your fourth year in the program, why stay? Some probably do that, and that's fine. Not saying he should lose his scholarship if he stays.

But ... don't you want to play?
I’m sure some players value other aspects of their lives more than they value play time.

Love more depth - keep those guys fresh or plug in play as a replacement

I don't assume he'll be gone but he seems like a prime candidate to potentially transfer.

He has two years of eligibility remaining, he will likely graduate this year (so it wouldn't impact his academics) and he is unlikely to be a starter in the next two weeks.

Top Bottom