New ESPN recruiting rankings. Minnesota recruits ranked high!

If Tubby Smith misses on Vaughn and Tyus, he should be fired. To me, it would be inexcusable for him to miss on two of the top high school prospects the state has seen over the last 10 years. On the other hand, if he lands Vaughn and Tyus he should be commended greatly. That would be a HUGE shot in the arm for a meddling program. Honestly, I think getting 1 of 2 (Vaughn/Jones) should be considered a success though. Vaughn is a 5* prospect according to Scout.com and a consensus top 75 recruit for 2014.

Here is the thing and people are just going to have to come to terms with this. Those 2 kids are high major players. Not sure Tubby should be fired for not getting them. Now, if Tubby had been able to turn this into a high major program and then he wasnt able to get them then that is another story. If he is able to get one of them then he should be commended.

Here is the thing and people are just going to have to come to terms with this. Those 2 kids are high major players. Not sure Tubby should be fired for not getting them. Now, if Tubby had been able to turn this into a high major program and then he wasnt able to get them then that is another story. If he is able to get one of them then he should be commended.

Technically all teams from the big 6 conferences are high major programs.

Right but we all know that the reality is different. If broken down further you have high high's and low highs. The gophs are a low high. If i am a recruit, pecking order would be high high, high mid, low high, low mid. Upside to low high is playing in great gyms. Downside would be losing. Upside to high mid is winning. Downside is not playing in great gyms. I think many of us were hopeful tubby would be able to turn this into a high high. If he were able to do this, the conversations about tyus and rashad would be much different. The groundwork needed to be laid 5 years ago for these 2 recruits.

Right but we all know that the reality is different. If broken down further you have high high's and low highs. The gophs are a low high. If i am a recruit, pecking order would be high high, high mid, low high, low mid. Upside to low high is playing in great gyms. Downside would be losing. Upside to high mid is winning. Downside is not playing in great gyms. I think many of us were hopeful tubby would be able to turn this into a high high. If he were able to do this, the conversations about tyus and rashad would be much different. The groundwork needed to be laid 5 years ago for these 2 recruits.

What the hell are you talking about. Using your ranking system the U is High Mid for sure and any team lucky enough to land Tyus or Rashan will be a good team and win games, period.

What the hell are you talking about. Using your ranking system the U is High Mid for sure and any team lucky enough to land Tyus or Rashan will be a good team and win games, period.

I think he's dividing them into high high majors (Michigan State, North Carolina, Indiana), low high majors (Nebraska, Northwestern), high mid majors (Xavier, Temple, Memphis(?)), and low mid majors (most teams in small conferences like the Sun Belt, the A-10, and C-USA). He classifies Minnesota as a low high major, and is arguing that most recruits would rather play at a high mid major, such as Xavier or Temple, over a low high major like Minnesota. I don't think I would consider Minnesota a low high major, but maybe that's just homerism talking.

I think he's dividing them into high high majors (Michigan State, North Carolina, Indiana), low high majors (Nebraska, Northwestern), high mid majors (Xavier, Temple, Memphis(?)), and low mid majors (most teams in small conferences like the Sun Belt, the A-10, and C-USA). He classifies Minnesota as a low high major, and is arguing that most recruits would rather play at a high mid major, such as Xavier or Temple, over a low high major like Minnesota. I don't think I would consider Minnesota a low high major, but maybe that's just homerism talking.

Well done in the explanation. I will have to say i dont think most recruits would choose a low high over a high mid but they really should give it careful consideration. I would rather play at a unlv or new mexico and go to the tourney every year then play at northwestern or penn state.

By the way. The gophs have been in ncaa tourney 2 out of the last 13 years. Penn State has been in it 1 out of 13. Really not sure how we can be anything other then a low high.

By the way. The gophs have been in ncaa tourney 2 out of the last 13 years. Penn State has been in it 1 out of 13. Really not sure how we can be anything other then a low high.

Except low highs aren't real. Its either a high major or a mid major not anything in between.

Vaughn only. ellenson to g-town. Travis following bro and jones to duke

Just wondering why you think Vaughn would commit but not Tyus? I'm not saying either will, but I definitely think that we have just as good of a shot with Tyus as we do with Vaughn. The fact that Tyus is better than Rashad will not play into us getting one or the other. They both will have nearly the same offer list and will be able to choose any team in the country that they wish to play for. Vaughn also said that he pondered an early commitment to Baylor and that he was a Baylor lean for quite some time (although I don't believe that's the case anymore). Tyus has said "Minnesota will stay on my list," "There is a lot of upside to staying at home," etc. He has also said his family and his education are important to him, and apparently his brother is a big Gophers fan.

Top Bottom