New cornerback?

Gopher Gold

Reaction score
ZachJohnsonGI #Gophers land 2012 junior college cornerback that should compete for starting job next fall.

Posted 11 minutes ago. Any idea who?

I do hope they land Quadry Antoine and Ka'Ra Stewart as well.

Go to the FB Recruiting page on GI. It says Briean Brody on the page.

I like the idea that he'll have 4 years to play 3 as a full qualifier.

I like the idea that he'll have 4 years to play 3 as a full qualifier.
5/11 175lb CB from Coffeyville JC in Kansas. 2nd team all conference as a first year player. Will enroll in January so will add to the depth for Spring Ball. No other offers at this point so at this point he definitely isn't a hot item.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLyDZmSk5Nc

5/11 175lb CB from Coffeyville JC in Kansas. 2nd team all conference as a first year player. Will enroll in January so will add to the depth for Spring Ball. No other offers at this point so at this point he definitely isn't a hot item.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLyDZmSk5Nc

Gotta hit the weight room...at least he will be with them for spring ball as well. 2nd team all conference for a freshman isn't all that bad.

Here is a comment that Rivals has from Briean Brody >> "I will be starting school in January. I will not be visiting any other schools, Minnesota is where I am going to be." << Rivals says we are his only offer.

Don't get hung up on the fact that he has no other offers, as a freshman no one else was looking, including the recruiting sites. Credit Coach Kill with identifying an angle and exploiting it. I look forward to seeing what else he has in mind.

made the Delaware list of McDonald's all-americans - basketball. Sounds like plenty of athletic ability

Some Stats

I went onto the Coffeyville Community College site under athletic news annoucing the All Conference selections were these stats. 'Boddy recorded 40 tackles and a blocked kick this season. Boddy also intercepted four passes with 50 return yards and recovered three fumbles'

Don't get hung up on the fact that he has no other offers, as a freshman no one else was looking, including the recruiting sites. Credit Coach Kill with identifying an angle and exploiting it. I look forward to seeing what else he has in mind.

Angle and exploiting? What does that mean? If no other school is recruiting the player, it is not too tough to get him to commit. It is easy to recruit players when there is no competition.

Angle and exploiting? What does that mean? If no other school is recruiting the player, it is not too tough to get him to commit. It is easy to recruit players when there is no competition.
The angle was a freshman at a JuCo that wanted to transfer and no one knew about it. If Kill hadn't come calling he would still be there next year more than likely, Kill took advantage of the fact that Boddy wanted out.

The angle was a freshman at a JuCo that wanted to transfer and no one knew about it. If Kill hadn't come calling he would still be there next year more than likely, Kill took advantage of the fact that Boddy wanted out.
Fruchette fits the same pattern full qualifier not recruited out of high school spends a year at JUCO and plays well. Frucette is different in that after getting his Gopher offer he sat out his Sophomore year so that he has 3yrs. to play 3.

Count me as one who was underwhelmed after seeing he didn't have any offers, but very impressed by the film. I don't know when I've seen a highlight reel with 2 kick-off returns for touchdowns at the 9 minute mark!

+1. Kill's connections back in Kansas probably helped him find out that Boddy wanted to transfer after one year and that he was a qualifier out of high school.

Fruchette fits the same pattern full qualifier not recruited out of high school spends a year at JUCO and plays well. Frucette is different in that after getting his Gopher offer he sat out his Sophomore year so that he has 3yrs. to play 3.

There are many schools looking for mid-year transfers and Jerry Kill is not the only coach in America with "connections" in the Kansas JUCO circles. Guys who are mid-year and have three years remaining are in high demand. This particular player did not receive recruting interest after high school and is ot receiving any after one year of JUCO. He is, at best, the 4th JUCO corner offered after 2 of three who came on visits committed elsewhere. Can't get excited about this.

There are many schools looking for mid-year transfers and Jerry Kill is not the only coach in America with "connections" in the Kansas JUCO circles. Guys who are mid-year and have three years remaining are in high demand. This particular player did not receive recruting interest after high school and is ot receiving any after one year of JUCO. He is, at best, the 4th JUCO corner offered after 2 of three who came on visits committed elsewhere. Can't get excited about this.
Why not? Kid was 2nd-Team All-Conference as a freshman.

Why not? Kid was 2nd-Team All-Conference as a freshman.
He was also an All State cornerback in Delaware 2010. He went to a vo-tech high school so that may explain why he ended up at a JUCO. As for leaving early Coffeyville will have a new coach next year.

yup yup - lets be free of negativity and give the kid a chance! We are light in the secondary.

For me, i'm not going to be too critical of anything that Kill does in recruiting until I start seeing evidence that he isn't an excellent evaluator of talent. It's a small sample size, but the little I had to go on from last year was pretty impressive. Foster Bush is apparently one of our best OL, Marcus Jones was an impressive player for a true FR, Wells and Thompson contributed and both seem to be guys who will continue to contribute, Rabe came in and contributed and Moulton was signed in June and had moments.

He also was able to find really good players at Northern Illinois.

For me, until I see otherwise, if Kill is gung-ho about getting a certain player to sign here, i'lll assume he sees something in him as a player, and so far i've liked his ability to judge talent (not offering Harden-aside...JK). If 4 years from now his classes are full of duds, i'll care more what other people think of the recruits.

chill out

Jerry Kill seems to be able to identify people who can play. This is very different from the basketball side. On top of that, so far he has recruited (I believe it's 8, with a walkon) Minnesota kids for this class. All the top people are committed or interested with the lone exception of Mc Donald. I don't think we have gotten this high a percentage of the top Minnesota talent in a very long time.

You just have to believe our offensive line is going to be
dominant in the near future. Pretty big factor on offense. If we can get the other positions to look that promising we are going to be pretty doggone good.

Don't engage 3399. It lowers your IQ just being on the same thread with her. Welcome to Minnesota, Briean Boddy!

After watching his highlights on Rivals, I tend to agree. Its difficult to conjure up an informed opinion based on a few bits of video but I saw nothing great when it came to coverage skills or speed. IMO, I would not label him as a lock down CB. But he did make some big plays on ST's. His video lacks in comparison to Webbs highlights but Webb doesn't seem to be in the mix due to grades and test scores from what I have read.

I thought Baltazar looked more physical and showed better coverage skills than Boddy. Maybe both of them will work out great.

Coach Kill knows what he wants and he has to feel comfortable that Boddy has the needed skills to fit in his system. And that is fine with me.

Jerry Kill seems to be able to identify people who can play. This is very different from the basketball side. On top of that, so far he has recruited (I believe it's 8, with a walkon) Minnesota kids for this class. All the top people are committed or interested with the lone exception of Mc Donald. I don't think we have gotten this high a percentage of the top Minnesota talent in a very long time.

You just have to believe our offensive line is going to be
dominant in the near future. Pretty big factor on offense. If we can get the other positions to look that promising we are going to be pretty doggone good.
Sorry but Tubby can definitely evaluate talent.

I like the idea of getting a JUCO kid with a shot of being redshirted. With the luck we have had with JUCO's sitting and learning and getting bigger is a good thing.Then we might get 2-3 yrs out of them instead of 1 learning and 1 being a contributer.

Top Bottom