New college overtime sucks - bring back ties

What should college OT be?

• None - tie at end of regulation

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Nfl overtime rules

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Current college overtime rules (2 point conversion off)

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Some guy’s online proposal

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Old college overtime rules (go for 2 after 2 OTs)

Votes: 22 61.1%

• Total voters

Some guy

Reaction score
I say we make both teams start possession on the 50. Both teams get 1 possession. If tied after 1 OT play a second OT. If tied after 2 OTs call it a tie

Vote for any of these options you like

I say we make both teams start possession on the 50. Both teams get 1 possession. If tied after 1 OT play a second OT. If tied after 2 OTs call it a tie

Vote for any of these options you like
The best option I've seen is:
- OT: start from the 50
- 2OT: start from the 25
- 3OT+: start from the 10

Just make it have an end time and teams will play differently to avoid ties.

like, if you go get a tie after 2 OTs most of the 3ot games end in the first or second OT because someone goes for two

it’s really easy for the nfl to have ties when you think about it but we only get 3-4 every 5 years.

There's nothing wrong with ties in college FB. They did it that way for a century. The "tie rule" could actually lead to more interesting action with coaches taking risks during regulation like going for 2 points more often, etc.

For playoff games, an overtime would still be needed of course; although an overtime wouldn't necessarily be needed for the championship game. There have been championship game ties in lower divisions of football in the past.

I prefer a winner and a loser.

Ties suck.

It appears so far I am clearly in the minority, but I like playing an OT, or OT's.

What's the problem with extra football, particularly with the outcome hanging in the balance with some drama and suspense?

I prefer the old version of college OT, without the 2pt conversion "shootout."

They'll never do this, but I actually think a fun analog to how soccer does it for playoff games:

- have a real, actual OT period, say 10mins
- if still tied after that, then have a "shootout" ... of the kickers!
-- start at say the 25, and each team gets a chance to kick a FG, then move it back 5 yards at a time until say maybe the 40? Then just keep kicking until someone misses and the other makes in that round.

Ties suck. Teams running shitty gadget plays from back of playbook in 8th OT sucks almost as much. Could do something like

1st/2nd - 1st and goal from the 10, no field goals or kicking XP
3rd/4th - 1st and goal from the 15, no field goals or kicking XP
5th and on - 1st and goal from 20, no field goals or kicking XP

I can't think of anything worse in sports than a tie. Games are meant to be won or lost.

ask any athlete who plays the game nobody wants a tie

No ties I hate the NFL for ties its a game there is a winner and loser plus it messes things up when it comes to standings

It wasn’t broke, shouldn’t have been changed. It’s football not UFC, no one is going to die if there is a 6 overtime game once a decade.

I like this. Makes you have to pick up some yards to be able to even attempt a FG to start. Personally I'd just say start at the 35 for all possessions and go back and forth. Far enough out it doesn't put the Air Raid teams at a disadvantage like we see when you start from the 10 (or this nonsense with alternating 2 point conversions)

Just spit balling, but what if a team was allowed to pick a starting point, say there own 40, vs the other teams 20, but if you start on the 20, then field goals are not an option.

First off, I don't mind ties except for a playoff game. Ties are not just ties. They are nuanced. A tie is a loss for a championship team in the hunt. Ties are a semi-win when a crappy team plays a good team.

Secondly, if there is overtime, then it can't end in a tie. Otherwise, you might as well call the game a tie after regulation. Otherwise, OT is then just extended version of regulation that can still end in a tie.

I don't mind the old fashioned tie game after 60 min so that's what I voted for. However; I also understand what GophersInIowa said....they want an OT but just don't want it to go on forever.

So why can't they go back to their "old" format. 2 OT's....have to go for 2 point conversion each time. If game still tied after 2 OT then it's a tie game. It would be like the NFL....maybe just a handful of ties each season.

They should leave it as is and just eliminate the extra point altogether. Used to be in the 3rd OT and this year the 2nd OT. Just eliminate it.

First off, I don't mind ties except for a playoff game. Ties are not just ties. They are nuanced. A tie is a loss for a championship team in the hunt. Ties are a semi-win when a crappy team plays a good team.

Secondly, if there is overtime, then it can't end in a tie. Otherwise, you might as well call the game a tie after regulation. Otherwise, OT is then just extended version of regulation that can still end in a tie.
Which is what the nfl does

I hate ties too. I like the idea of forcing a winner and a loser. But, I hate weird shootout style things that decide some sporting ties too. I think any OT should match the actual game conditions as closely as possible.

Unless I am mistaken, the overtime rules that were in place were changed basically as a result of one crazy game. I suggest going back to the way it was and just chalk up the one weird game as the anomaly that it was.

This two point conversion thing is way too much like soccer and hockey shootouts - which are activities that depart from the actual team game they represent.

Ties are stupid, but I also agree random 2pt trick plays are dumb. I like the idea of starting at the 35 each possession and going as long as needed. The issue now is they are essentially guaranteed a FG, I like having to work for it.

I guess if you really were worried about length of time played maybe do something like ball is at the 30, do the coin flip and winner decides offense or defense. 1 possession and the team on offense has to score a TD to win, if they dont they lose. A team like UGA/WISC/Iowa would pick defense, a team like OSU/OU/Wake take offense. Could make for kind of a cool ending, you know it down to that 1 possession and would have multiple views on how to play it.

Ties are stupid, but I also agree random 2pt trick plays are dumb. I like the idea of starting at the 35 each possession and going as long as needed. The issue now is they are essentially guaranteed a FG, I like having to work for it.

I guess if you really were worried about length of time played maybe do something like ball is at the 30, do the coin flip and winner decides offense or defense. 1 possession and the team on offense has to score a TD to win, if they dont they lose. A team like UGA/WISC/Iowa would pick defense, a team like OSU/OU/Wake take offense. Could make for kind of a cool ending, you know it down to that 1 possession and would have multiple views on how to play it.
Maybe they should go 1st and 10 from the 20
But make all kicking illegal

No field goals, no extra points

Nobody likes a tie. But it might be better than having to take an L on a two-point play.

No good options here.

10-minute overtime. (NOT sudden death). regular rules. coin flip for possession.
But - if a team scores a TD, must go for 2. No kicking extra points.
at the end of the 10-minute period, the final score is the final score. if it ends in a tie, so be it.

10-minute overtime. (NOT sudden death). regular rules. coin flip for possession.
But - if a team scores a TD, must go for 2. No kicking extra points.
at the end of the 10-minute period, the final score is the final score. if it ends in a tie, so be it.
I like that

Ties are an important part of college football - teams often played for ties, and they counted a half game won and a half game lost. But I'd go for a hybrid; one overtime in which each team kicks off as though following a safety. If still a tie, one sudden death starting from the opposition 25. If still a tie, it's a tie. Live with it. In championship games, keep the kick-off, then go to repeated 25 yard line attempts until there is a winner. What we have this year is freaky.

Top Bottom